The Hidden Black History of Nashville Hot Chicken

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
The Hidden BLACK HISTORY of Nashville Hot Chicken.

Hot Chicken has become a multi-million dollar business, and It sickens me how white corporations (KFC, Captain D's, etc.) have stolen Nashville Style Hot Chicken from Black People in Nashville, TN.

For over 70 Years Hot Chicken has been Black Culture in Nashville,TN.
:stopitslime:

There are 2 types of Hot Chicken:

Princess Hot Chicken
(East Nashville Style)
&
Helen's Hot Chicken (North Nashville Style).

Anything else is FAKE HOT CHICKEN!

Princess Hot Chicken:

Started in the North Nashville, back in the late 1930's (later relocating to East Nashville in the 1970's) by a BLACK MAN named James Thorton Prince. The then "restaurant" was referred too as "Prince's Shack" . The myth is that his wife made the recipe by putting extra hot ingredients in her recipe, in order to get back at him, but he ended up loving it.
The family still owns and operates the restaurant in Nashville.

5HvaZ.jpg

DW1KiuOW0AEHNE4.jpg

14947542_1151298254949344_1430745949886695257_n.jpg

vs

Helen's Hot Chicken

rcn0bvqzzg4kghpbhbez.jpg

Around that same time a possibly Creole lady named Helen from Chicago moved to Nashville. After a few years she married a Nashville man John and a some years later (40's or 50's) started Helen's a North Nashville (Historical Black District) restaurant selling spicy soul food, including spicy Chicken. Referred too around North Nashville, and HBCU's FISK & Tennessee State University as "that hot ass Helen Chicken" which is interchangeable with Hot Chicken in certain areas of Nashville, as both she and her family were very popular with the local Black aritsticrats. Some would say Helen's is "North Nashville" style Hot Chicken. This company is still ran by the family father & first born, and still opening franchise locations, I think they are even opening some locations in Atlanta, and Houston.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-06-at-3-10-33-AM.png

635920207594389854-IMG-1181-A.jpg

young-thug

(Jerika Karlae) Supposedly the daughter name is , Jerica is a millionaire heiress (Helens Hot Chicken) so is her older & younger siblings.
Around the late 1970's Prince's moved to East Nashville, and became "Prince's Hot Chicken". While Helen's remained in North Nashville, briefly leaving in the 1990's and returning in the mid 2000's named Helen's Hot Chicken.

colored_ymca2_tn_state_library.jpeg

images

Since then Hot Chicken has been apart of African American culture in Nashville.
Now in recent years white owned companies such as KFC, Hattie B's, Captain D's, and even Firehouse subs are selling this garbage that taste NOTHING LIKE Nashville HOT CHICKEN. I felt it was my duty to put the word out there so you know the origins of Hot Chicken is BLACK PEOPLE.

sources:
Prince's Hot Chicken Shack - WikipediaPrince's Hot Chicken Shack - Wikipedia

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
A year after coming out with a chicken and waffle menu item.

Does anyone know the full history of KFC appropriating AA cuisine? Because southern fried chicken is itself an AA dish.
No because it came from the poor Irish
:troll:

In all seriousness is there anything good out there that destroys that claim

@IllmaticDelta ?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
A year after coming out with a chicken and waffle menu item.

Does anyone know the full history of KFC appropriating AA cuisine? Because southern fried chicken is itself an AA dish.

No because it came from the poor Irish
:troll:

In all seriousness is there anything good out there that destroys that claim

@IllmaticDelta ?

they mentioned kfc or southern fried recipe as being black on the show that was on like month or so ago

History TV

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
Very dope info.

I honestly didn’t know Nashville hot chicken was a thing until KFC came out with their version of it.

It's a huge thing in Nashville, but that's only in recent years. Black folks been eating Hot chicken since forever....
Thats why black people need to respect Helens & Princess.... they paved the way.

Why White folks always tryna take credit for black folk accomplishments? :scust:

, these Black families deserve so much. :dwillhuh:

So do all Black families, but ya'll wanna hate on T.I. for tryna get Black folks Reparations?? :what::why:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
First time I had Hot Chicken, I was on a business trip in Nashville. Went to a spot in Murfreesboro, and got some. They had levels to it, and myself and the group I was with got the highest level of heat trying to be billy bad asses. Waiter warned us, but we were like f it, plus we had made a stop at the hotel bar prior lol. Man, the waiter ended up having to bring us damn near a gallon of milk. That chicken was so hot. It was good, but hot as hell.

Next time I’m in Nashville, I’m getting some more. I’ll have to go to one of these two places, as I want that authentic.

SouljaVoy

♥ Black Love
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta,GA
First time I had Hot Chicken, I was on a business trip in Nashville. Went to a spot in Murfreesboro, and got some. They had levels to it, and myself and the group I was with got the highest level of heat trying to be billy bad asses. Waiter warned us, but we were like f it, plus we had made a stop at the hotel bar prior lol. Man, the waiter ended up having to bring us damn near a gallon of milk. That chicken was so hot. It was good, but hot as hell.

Next time I’m in Nashville, I’m getting some more. I’ll have to go to one of these two places, as I want that authentic.

You need to try both because they two different styles. My girl prefers the Helen Hot Chicken style me personally I prefer Princess. The shyt is hot as hell tho :whew:

I think they opened that Helen’s in Atlanta one of my homies say it be some fine ass chicks in there. :jbhmm: Anyone here been?

I tried Hattie B’s (white owned) with one of my other chicks... and you can tell it’s caucasian made chicken. :martin:

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I tasted that Nashville Hot Chicken from KFC and thought it tasted alright.
Now I see this this thread and now fully enlightened on some things and I wanna try the original Nashville Hot Chicken.
Cacs always stealing shyt and watering it down.