The Great Migration and Educational Opportunity

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
This paper studies the impact of the Great Migration on children. We use the complete count 1940 Census to estimate selection-corrected place effects on education for children of Black migrants. On average, Black children gained 0.8 years of schooling (12 percent) by moving from the South to North. Many counties that had the strongest positive impacts on children during the 1940s offer relatively poor opportunities for Black youth today. Opportunities for Black children were greater in places with more schooling investment, stronger labor market opportunities for Black adults, more social capital, and less crime.

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would also highly recommend The Warmth of Other Suns:

cover_book.png

One of the greatest books I’ve ever read and I don’t think there’s a better book written on the Great Migration.

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is this book true stories or are they fictional narratives?

All true stories. This is a non-fiction book. This is the synopsis:

With historical detail, Wilkerson tells this story through the lives of three unique individuals: Ida Mae Gladney, who in 1937 left sharecropping and prejudice in Mississippi for Chicago, where she achieved quiet blue-collar success and, in old age, voted for Barack Obama when he ran for an Illinois Senate seat; sharp and quick-tempered George Starling, who in 1945 fled Florida for Harlem, where he endangered his job fighting for civil rights, saw his family fall, and finally found peace in God; and Robert Foster, who left Louisiana in 1953 to pursue a medical career, the personal physician to Ray Charles as part of a glitteringly successful medical career, which allowed him to purchase a grand home where he often threw exuberant parties.

The book took her about 10-15 years of research and it’s extremely accurate and well written. You get to see the fate of the lives each of these individuals once leaving the South and what their lives became. And each of them moved to cities that built up substantial black populations even to this day from the Great Migration, so it’s dope to see their stories in detail. You don’t get bored. A monument of a book and if you’re interested in this topic, an absolute must have. I’m a Canadian bruh but I think this a book every breh should have on their book shelf, even if you take a couple years to actually get around reading it lol.

Last edited: