The GOAT Turns 30: Transformers The Movie 1986 Birthday/Blu-Ray Anticpation Thread

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
My G1 brehs... get in here :wow:

giphy.gif

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-giant-robot-and-the-1986-transformers-movie-taught-me-1784993789

A Giant Robot and the 1986 Transformers Movie Taught Me About the Cold Inevitability of Death

Rob Bricken

Today 5:00pm
Filed to: transformers
g70xnjzjqi63unpdhokv.jpg

Optimus Prime passed away on August 8, 1986. It was 30 full years ago today, when Transformers: The Movie debuted, that the heroic robot sacrificed his own life to defeat the evil Megatron. But an event that was tragic for Prime’s fellow Autobots turned out to be completely traumatic for me and god knows how many other kids.

I was nine when Transformers: The Movie came out. My great-grandparents had died when I was too young to understand what that meant; to me, they were occasionally around, and then they were not occasionally around. So I’d never really experienced the loss of death before, how someone that seems to be a permanent fixture in your life can just disappear.

I wasn’t really a big Transformers fan growing up, but not being a fan didn’t mean that I wasn’t watching the cartoon every single morning before I went to school or that I didn’t demand to see the movie the first weekend it was in theaters. One of the cartoons I watched… as a movie? That I could see in a movie theater? It was too cool to miss, even if I had disliked the Transformers, which I certainly didn’t.

That said, I was quite sad when Optimus died in the movie, after he and Megatron give each other mortal blows. He may not have been my favorite, but the character was awesome, and absolutely the star of the cartoon; it was moving to see the rest of the Autobots in anguish, and to see Prime’s final act to give the Matrix of Leadership to a young Autobot named Hot Rod, who was unready to lead.

I was sad, but I knew something the Autobots didn’t (or at least I thought I did)—Optimus Prime would be back before the end of the movie.

This wasn’t a wild hope as much as it was a fact of my entertainment life, presented by… well, every TV show, movie, book, comic, etc. that I had ever read. The idea of telling a kid about the reality of death in a cartoon was almost as anathema as giving a child heroin; it seemed so heinous as to be impossible. This was a culture that prevented He-Man—a barbarian who wielded a sword—from even punching his enemies in his cartoon. (If you rewatch it, you’ll see that in every single physical alternation with a living being, He-Man tosses him into mud, water, a barrel, and so on. It’s crazy.) Sure, Optimus Prime had died, but he was a robot. He could be rebuilt! And besides, Megatron had been resurrected as Galvatron just a few minutes later in the film—I knew with absolute certainty that Optimus would return, ready to fight anew, before the end of the film…

…and then he didn’t. Instead, Hot Rod transformed (er, from a robot into a different robot) into Rodimus Prime, a more adult Transformer who was somewhat capable of leading the Autobots, but was no Optimus Prime. When the end credits rolled out, Optimus Prime was still… dead.

Honestly, I don’t think I was even sad. More… confused. It seemed impossible to me that Optimus Prime was actually gone. He was a hero. He was the hero of the Transformers. I was Fred Savage in The Princess Bride, looking for someone I could inform that an error had been made—that this was wrong. Still, I was certain the TV series would correct the error.

According to Wikipedia, the new season of Transformers premiered September 15, 1986, not much more than a month after the movie. I am certain this wait felt like approximately a decade to me as I wondered how Optimus would return. Would it be immediately? Would the season begin with the Autobots on a journey to recover their lost leader? But when the episode arrived, Optimus Prime was still dead.

That’s when I realized he was truly gone. And that’s when I cried.

Again, I didn’t cry because Optimus Prime was my favorite character, or because Transformers was the series I lived and breathed. It was because for two years—a large portion of my cognitive life—Optimus Prime had been part of it, and now he was dead, never to be seen again. For the first time I realized that heroes didn’t always survive, that being good didn’t always protect you from the bad things of the world. In a way, I suppose this was exactly what the adults who regulated the children’s entertainment industry had feared would happen if a kid ever accidentally got a glimpse of the harshness of reality. But just because the lesson upset me doesn’t mean it wasn’t valuable.

There’s so much to recommend about Transformers: The Movie: some excellent animation, a bizarrely over-talented voice cast, the Junkions, Stan Bush’s “The Touch,” and so much more. (Shout Factory will be finally be bringing an extras-laden Blu-ray of the film to America on September 13, if you want to check it out.) But when I think about this film, I think about mortality, and crying hysterically, and innocence lost—and I’m grateful to this film for all of it.

PS—Optimus Prime was totally resurrected in the cartoon on February 25, 1987. Too little too late, guys.

While I was writing this, Shout Factory released a trailer for the movie’s upcoming 30th Anniversary Blu-ray:

I’m not 100 percent sure why the trailer says it’s available now, since according to Amazon both the Blu-ray and new DVD will be released on September 13, but I do have to say that transfer looks mighty good.

Last edited:
Daps
Will never forget watching this in the theater around my birthday as a little kid with my brothers and best friend.

An essential part of my childhood.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Might not be the place for it but which does the film room think is better: This or the GI Joe movie:lupe:

That ain't no hard choice.. and GI Joe is good.. but Transformers is just:wow:

That GOAT soundtrack...
Optimus driving in, transforming leaping into the air, murking like 10 deceps
That Optimus vs Megatron fight

just.. just everything :wow:

That "OH shyt" moment when Unicron starts transforming :wow:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
fukk you, Hot Rod. I'll never forgive you for that cornball move that you pulled that inadvertently got Prime killed. :pacspit: I've never seen an autobot fail so hard, yet somehow, someway keep moving up in the ranks. :scust:
Low key, the transformers writers were preparing us for life :wow:

noble

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Might not be the place for it but which does the film room think is better: This or the GI Joe movie:lupe:

Uhhh G.I. Joe the movie isn't the best G.I.Joe movie Resolute is, but none of that is fukking wit Transformers The Movie.
My biggest problem with G.I. Joe the movie is my nicca Snake Eyes got no run, no play, I did like Nemesis Enforcer and that whole Cobra La thing. If they would have included Snake Eyes it would have been closer to Resolute but it's whatever it's still a classic that I watch every couple years