The Gap Between The Number Of Blacks And Whites In Prison Is Shrinking

SlimeyLilDude

Richest shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Blacks have long outnumbered whites in U.S. prisons. But a significant decline in the number of black prisoners has steadily narrowed the gap over the past decade, according to new data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

At the end of 2017, federal and state prisons in the United States held about 475,900 inmates who were black and 436,500 who were white – a difference of 39,400, according to BJS. Ten years earlier, there were 592,900 black and 499,800 white prisoners – a difference of 93,100. (This analysis counts only inmates sentenced to more than a year.) The decline in the black-white gap between 2007 and 2017 was driven by a 20% decrease in the number of black inmates, which outpaced a 13% decrease in the number of white inmates.

The gap between white and Hispanic imprisonment also narrowed between 2007 and 2017, but not because of a decrease in Hispanic prisoners. Instead, the number of white prisoners fell while the number of Hispanic inmates increased slightly. At the end of 2017, there were 100,000 more white inmates than Hispanic inmates (436,500 vs. 336,500), down from an inmate difference of 169,400 in 2007 (499,800 white inmates vs. 330,400 Hispanic inmates).

Overall, there were 1,439,808 sentenced prisoners in the U.S. at the end of 2017, or about 6% fewer than the 1,532,851 at the end of 2007. Apart from blacks, whites and Hispanics, these totals include inmates from other races and those from mixed racial and ethnic backgrounds. The figures only count people in federal and state correctional facilities, including those held in privately run prisons that contract with the government; they exclude most inmates held in locally run jails.

The racial and ethnic makeup of U.S. prisons continues to look substantially different from the demographics of the country as a whole. In 2017, blacks represented 12% of the U.S. adult population but 33% of the sentenced prison population. Whites accounted for 64% of adults but 30% of prisoners. And while Hispanics represented 16% of the adult population, they accounted for 23% of inmates.

Another way of considering racial and ethnic differences in the nation’s prison population is by looking at the imprisonment rate, which tallies the number of prisoners per 100,000 people. In 2017, there were 1,549 black prisoners for every 100,000 black adults – nearly six times the imprisonment rate for whites (272 per 100,000) and nearly double the rate for Hispanics (823 per 100,000).

For all three of these groups, imprisonment rates have declined substantially since 2007. The rate has declined 31% among blacks, 14% among whites and 25% among Hispanics. Experts have offered a range of explanations for the pronounced drop in the black imprisonment rate.

The gap between the number of blacks and whites in prison is shrinking

SlimeyLilDude

Richest shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what needs to happen. You know cacs and c00ns hate to see this happening. They feel like they are losing their privilege and their system is being destroyed. Fck em

Positive to see but the numbers are still outrageous when you compare the white population to ours.

Why do y'all keep using this same talking point to deflect from whites being incarcerated, homeless, on drugs, etc?

Of course we already know these statistics about black people are due to racism.

There's no reason for white people's statistics to be as high as they are when they supposedly have "white privilege" and are supposedly "supreme" and "superior" and this country was supposedly made "just for them". The point of highlighting white people who's incarcerated, homeless, and drug addicts is to show that the whole image of white people is false and flawed.

1.White people don't want the world to know that it's 100s of thousands of white people in prison because they supposedly got "white privilege" and get away with everything with no punishment. The chart shows that's not true.

2. White people don't want people to know that it's 217,000 homeless white people because they want everybody to believe all white people are living good and wealthy and are superior when they aren't and that's not true.
Estimated number of homeless people in the United States in 2019, by race

Estimated number of homeless people
White 270,607
Number of homeless people in the U.S., by race 2019 | Statista

3. White people also don't want the world to know that it's millions of white people who's drug addicts and alot of them are dying from drug overdose because they want everybody to believe they are supreme when they aren't.
FT_17.10.26_Drugs_Drugoverdosedeathrates_new_2.png

Last edited:

SlimeyLilDude

Richest shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Still doesn't mean anything. If there are 4/5 times as many white people and we have the same number incarcerated then something is still fukked up

I just like the fact that more white people are going to prison. They think they can do whatever they want to and get away with it. But nope they getting they ass threw right in prison. And that's great. I love it:russ:

JackRoss

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I just like the fact that more white people are going to prison. They think they can do whatever they want to and get away with it. But nope they getting they ass threw right in prison. And that's great. I love it:russ:

You remember that bet?

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Dont read brehs. It clearly said less are going to prison.

I wonder what the cause of prison decrease is.

JackRoss

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
You derailing from the topic breh. Are you mad white people are going to prison or something?

I'm not derailing. I'm asking you a question. Answer the question and we can get back to your questions.

Do you remember the bet and do you remember what is was?

Pretty simple questions

SlimeyLilDude

Richest shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dont read brehs. It clearly said less are going to prison.

I wonder what the cause of prison decrease is.
It says black people are going to prison less.

At the end of 2017, federal and state prisons in the United States held about 475,900 inmates who were black and 436,500 who were white – a difference of 39,400, according to BJS. Ten years earlier, there were 592,900 black and 499,800 white prisoners – a difference of 93,100. (This analysis counts only inmates sentenced to more than a year.) The decline in the black-white gap between 2007 and 2017 was driven by a 20% decrease in the number of black inmates, which outpaced a 13% decrease in the number of white inmates.