The game is rigged. 100k is still not enough, and that is crazy.

MoveForward

Veteran
Daps
I remember watching that movie Soul Food and when breh tried to stunt on breh by mentioning he made $85k per year. As a kid, that sounded like a lot of money to me.

Now, that’s not going to cut it in most major metro areas.

You will be fine with 85k anywhere.

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most americans are broke and in debt. They just live comfortable cause this country is wealthy and has a high standard of living. So much so that folks don't realize how broke and dependent on the system they are. That's why the expectation of being rich if you make 100k is so off. When you start making decent money like the OP it gives you more visbility to see how 100k doesnt strech as far as most think it would.

So You haven't "made it" just cause you make 100k. And sometimes it takes making it to see and realize that. But people think because you are not broke, able to save a couple thousand a year or not struggling check to check that you have "made it". That should be the norm. That should be average. But the norm in reality is that most americans dont even have 1k saved up and the average black person has a negative networth.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I get the gist of OP' post, there is an expectations vs reality (aka expectations gap)gap that has hit him regarding the impact of making 100k. The popular narratives and supposed material benefits that come with 100k are not lining up with his current reality and its fuccing with him mentally. But given that the average American makes substantially less he is struggling to understand how they are dealing with the same stress.

And my best answer OP is that people around the nation are either a) just as stressed b) more stressed and angry at their current situation c) not as stressed because their expectations/costs of aspirations are not that expensive.

I have friends who are already with their spouses on the hook for 500k in debt ( mortgage and student loans) with aspirations for children (a costs of 230k over 18 years excluding college tuition) and these numbers don't even take into consideration costs of downside risks.

But if you don't have the aspiration for a mortgage or kid and are lucky enough to have no or low student loans then your overall expectation costs are much lower which presumably means your financial stress levels are much lower. Thus having a different level of gratitude or contentment than others.

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
You doing regular shyt with you money. You're on a mouse wheel.

I make about 90k on my here in Louisiana. My bills are so low. 1700$ with 3 vehicles, I own my house, no mortgage. I run a gambling shack too. Im omw to Dallas, but my shack is going to pull in at least 2k+ tonight. I pay someone to run it and I hsve camera I can watch.

you have to find a way to make your money make money. im looking into more properties and opening storages units and a dog daycare.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
It's easy to spend when you have more. If you go from making 40K to 120K, you can go out to eat more often, you can spend a little bit more on that vacation, you can spend more on your vice of choice(smoke/drink/gambling).

Things can get out of hand quickly. Living like you make 40K when you make six figs... that's the discipline.
When you make 100k things you did at 40k won’t make any sense

Your post is another falsehood peddled on the internet

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I'm talking about things I've lived personally not things I heard by some youtube huckster. Try again.
I don’t care what you lived

that 1 bedroom 600ft square foot apartment you live in it’s not going to make any sense when you more than double your income for example

and let’s be real you’re not you are not going to more than double your income without more than doubling your responsibility and time commitment with work

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The mistake you're making is putting $500/month in the stock market. You should be putting $2500/ month in and getting a return on your money. Buy multi family homes and get income from them. You will be poor forever if your money doesn't make money..

2stainz

GOON MUSIC
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
chitown, Sohh Icey towers, LWO
Its crazy to think about people stretching 20-25k to feed a whole family...but my folks did it as new immigrants to this country

And honestly most Americans do it also, but there are also saftey nets (welfare, public housing, free clinics, medicaid etc.)

I, myself, am learning that my 6 figures dont mean much, especially with federal withholding eating 27-28k off top

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t care what you lived

that 1 bedroom 600ft square foot apartment you live in it’s not going to make any sense when you more than double your income for example

and let’s be real you’re not you are not going to more than double your income without more than doubling your responsibility and time commitment with work

You don't know who you're talking to nor what you're talking about and I'll leave it at that.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You don't know who you're talking to nor what you're talking about and I'll leave it at that.
Nah bytch.

I’m in the real world. Why make 100k and live like I’m making 40k. I may as well take less responsibility and keep making 40k