The game is rigged. 100k is still not enough, and that is crazy.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I remember watching that movie Soul Food and when breh tried to stunt on breh by mentioning he made $85k per year. As a kid, that sounded like a lot of money to me.

Now, that’s not going to cut it in most major metro areas.

This movie was made in 1997. Factoring in inflation...$80,000 is now $131,000.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Im basing off of studies. Low level thinker :mjlol:

Coli ways with some dumb shyt without conversing regularly. :stopitslime:

100k is easily middle class in most areas of country.

Stupid people decide to live in expensive cities doesnt change that.

This is facts, not opinions.
Exactly.

My wife and I recently started making six figures. Before that we were in the 80s. We live in the Atlanta metro area. We could choose to live in midtown and spend half of our money on rent, instead we found jobs that allow us to work from home and we live in the suburbs so our money goes further. For the almost the same cost of a midtown condo, we are in a new 4000 sqft house. We also drive one car since we work from home (we intentionally found jobs that are WFH). We cook most of our meals. We have a designated amount of spending money that is really more than enough and we still save for retirement, our kids school and travel.

We pick and choose where we spend big, and it’s generally for travel and house related stuff, not luxury cars or luxury housing or luxury clothing accessories. Only rich people can do it all (spend recklessly and still save enough to be able to retire at a reasonable age). Being middle class isn’t supposed to give you that ability. People should shoot for living modestly but comfortably. Luxury items shouldn’t be even be on most people’s radar.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Its a lot of brothers in here making 100k + .. are we sure the top percentile stats are correct ? :patrice:

RevolvingDisguisedIndianringneckparakeet-small.gif
Come on breh, you forgot you on the coil? 50% of this site makes six figures plus easily

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
I remember watching that movie Soul Food and when breh tried to stunt on breh by mentioning he made $85k per year. As a kid, that sounded like a lot of money to me.

Now, that’s not going to cut it in most major metro areas.

Ya'll are delusional. Average White household income is $76k. If you a single breh making $85k, you over everybody

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Exactly.

My wife and I recently started making six figures. Before that we were in the 80s. We live in the Atlanta metro area. We could choose to live in midtown and spend half of our money on rent, instead we found jobs that allow us to work from home and we live in the suburbs so our money goes further. For the almost the same cost of a midtown condo, we are in a new 4000 sqft house. We also drive one car since we work from home (we intentionally found jobs that are WFH). We cook most of our meals. We have a designated amount of spending money that is really more than enough and we still save for retirement, our kids school and travel.

We pick and choose where we spend big, and it’s generally for travel and house related stuff, not luxury cars or luxury housing or luxury clothing accessories. Only rich people can do it all (spend recklessly and still save enough to be able to retire at a reasonable age). Being middle class isn’t supposed to give you that ability. People should shoot for living modestly but comfortably. Luxury items shouldn’t be even be on most people’s radar.

That’s the biggest problem. Appetite for luxury items kills finances.

You shouldn’t be driving a Range Rover if you’re only making $100k.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
No that is how this is. It doesn't matter what you make you need to live well under your means. If that means you have to house hack and have roommates you rent rooms out to or the basement then so be it. If that means you have to drive a less expensive car and practice frugality then it is what it is. If you can't make an income appropriate to the area you live in then you move.

There are plenty of ways to get your cost of living down. It's about living the appropriate lifestyle given the income you make.

Again, this is not that simple. People have to live near their jobs. You also need to consider families with kids who want access to better schooling and lower crime areas to raise families. A 6 figure income should allow for this without much compromise. We're at a point where the middle class are being priced out of that.

Also, as a single person, what's the point in pushing yourself to climb the ladder to a 6 figure income just to live with roommates? The whole point of earning more money is to improve your standard of living, is it not?

I'm not saying, you should be trying to live a millionaire lifestyle on a 100k income, of course you're still going to have to budget and prioritize your expenses, but there are certain things you shouldn't be compromising on when you earn that much, and one of them is housing.

A system where earners in the >75th percentile need to compromise on housing and are a job loss and a few paychecks away from financial ruin is a broken system. And this does not start from the top.. it starts from the bottom. Regardless of what you do for a living a 40 hour work week should allow you basic necessities.. Food/Housing/Transportation/Healthcare.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Again, this is not that simple. People have to live near their jobs. You also need to consider families with kids who want access to better schooling and lower crime areas to raise families. A 6 figure income should allow for this without much compromise. We're at a point where the middle class are being priced out of that.

Also, as a single person, what's the point in pushing yourself to climb the ladder to a 6 figure income just to live with roommates? The whole point of earning more money is to improve your standard of living, is it not?

I'm not saying, you should be trying to live a millionaire lifestyle on a 100k income, of course you're still going to have to budget and prioritize your expenses, but there are certain things you shouldn't be compromising on when you earn that much, and one of them is housing.

A system where earners in the >75th percentile need to compromise on housing and are a job loss and a few paychecks away from financial ruin is a broken system. And this does not start from the top.. it starts from the bottom. Regardless of what you do for a living a 40 hour work week should allow you basic necessities.. Food/Housing/Transportation/Healthcare.
You're talking about what should be and I'm talking about what is. If you have to compromise then either you do that or live outside your means and complaining about it.

It's up to you to make it work. Nobody else is gonna do that for you. The system is broken and we'll remain broken indefinitely.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It's the opposite...

The work crowd supports the starbucks/McDonalds/applebees/happy hour bars etc.

When there is no work traffic, neighborhood businesses suffer...

The grocery store takes a beating when these kids have no school...

That morning/afternoon rush was where the money was made

But it saves $$$ by doing construction less, less pollution, less congestion, plus stronger families by people spending more time with their kids and spouses.