The game is rigged. 100k is still not enough, and that is crazy.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I promise you this is not a brag thread but one to open the eyes of people pining for that six figure salary. It truly is not much at all to break 100K. I make well over 100K and it still takes me an incredible long time to amass any type of formidable capital, other than financing it. Which just should not be the case. If the crucial things in life, for example, a house (or any property, condo, etc.) and a car, require the vast majority of people to have the money loaned to them, something is very much wrong. I couldn't imagine doing it on my salary let alone half.

I have it in a spreadsheet and track everything in and out. On a base level, after all expenses I am able to save $2000 a month. That's with maxing out my 401K. I also put $500 a month into the stock market. $2000 a month is $24000 a year. The average cost of a house last year was 280k. The average cost of a car is $40k. Sure you can buy the car used but who is going to buy the new car so that it becomes "used?" You're or someone else is forced to take a loan from a bank that you'll be paying on for YEARS and be plagued by interest.

Mind you, only 10% or so of people make 100K or more in the US. What is everyone else doing? How is everyone else surviving? It just doesn't make sense. I am blessed to be in the position I am so I am able to save what I am able but what about 90% of the rest of society? So maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain to me how this all works. As of 2019 the US median income is fukking 32K. :mindblown:

You either learn to market and sell or work for those that do.

It's as simple as this.

You might feel blessed now but if you don't work in government then that firm can be acquired or go bankrupt.

There are other sacrifices you can make to increase your income and networth but the hardest people to convince are those who believe they've made it.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
I promise you this is not a brag thread but one to open the eyes of people pining for that six figure salary. It truly is not much at all to break 100K. I make well over 100K and it still takes me an incredible long time to amass any type of formidable capital, other than financing it. Which just should not be the case. If the crucial things in life, for example, a house (or any property, condo, etc.) and a car, require the vast majority of people to have the money loaned to them, something is very much wrong. I couldn't imagine doing it on my salary let alone half.

I have it in a spreadsheet and track everything in and out. On a base level, after all expenses I am able to save $2000 a month. That's with maxing out my 401K. I also put $500 a month into the stock market. $2000 a month is $24000 a year. The average cost of a house last year was 280k. The average cost of a car is $40k. Sure you can buy the car used but who is going to buy the new car so that it becomes "used?" You're or someone else is forced to take a loan from a bank that you'll be paying on for YEARS and be plagued by interest.

Mind you, only 10% or so of people make 100K or more in the US. What is everyone else doing? How is everyone else surviving? It just doesn't make sense. I am blessed to be in the position I am so I am able to save what I am able but what about 90% of the rest of society? So maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain to me how this all works. As of 2019 the US median income is fukking 32K. :mindblown:

I make over 100k and I'm doing okay.

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
Its a lot of brothers in here making 100k + .. are we sure the top percentile stats are correct ? :patrice:

RevolvingDisguisedIndianringneckparakeet-small.gif

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
One more point I want to make. At $100k you’re getting squeezed from both sides. You make too much to qualify for many types of assistance (stimulus $$, student loan interest deduction, etc) and you don’t make enough to truly not worry about things. Add to that you’re getting taxed at a high rate too.
Great point you brought up at the end. At 100k+ When majority or all of your money comes from your W2, taxes really have you losing in the end.

That's why Warren Buffet has a lower tax rate than his secretary.

Focusing only on getting the highest salary or hourly rate you can possibly get and nothing else is hustling backwards. Focus should be on how can I get most of my money coming from my investments which are taxed way less than money coming from your W2 as a high wage earner. Otherwise you just a high priced ho

I find that the most annoying and clueless humans in America are those 100 to 200k earners... especially couples

They are ALWAYS act like they dont have shyt and never notice how hundreds of items,memberships, subscriptions, living in cheaply build homes near major cities, and Fake retirement plans will hurt them.

That group are the biggest slaves to a career or job/ benefits and typically end up working longer in life due to never being able to retire at that same life style (requires 10 mil and passive income)
What should they do instead

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
OP doing better than 95% of the world and complaining :dead:

I guess you see why for millionaires it’s never enough :demonic:

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps
What should they do instead
Literally everyone I fukk w earns 100k and up.

Most are slow to invest and mainly invest after saving and saving and saving... and then are late to invest out of fear of losing. They believe they are middle class , when in reality you need about 250k yr gross to be middle.

Imo they should buy property, rental homes and also rural land. Or learn about other long term investments and go harder at those than bs like 401ks.

Also.... just cuz you gross 180k doesnt mean you drop 9k on family vacation. You can go in a hiking and white water rafting trip for less than a 1k. (For example)

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Also.... just cuz you gross 180k doesnt mean you drop 9k on family vacation. You can go in a hiking and white water rafting trip for less than a 1k. (For example)
That lifestyle inflation be the biggest killer. I can already see it in my little cousin who just turn 25. She just got her first 100k job and now she on that

"I deserve" "I work too hard to not deserve" blah blah wave. as she finances the new whip, renting the luxury apt, taking mad trips with little attention paid to investments. Trying to get her to change her mindset but you know how our women b sometimes. Once they get a little bit of paper can't tell'em nothing :francis:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Live above your means and complain about it brehs

“Why would I want a used car?” explains everything you need to know about his mentality and why he’s asking these questions.
If he buys a new car to eat the depreciation in the first year on a $40K car he has to end up sacrificing a month and a half of pay to fund the depreciation.

Skip that depreciation by buying a car in its 2nd year and invest that $8K untouched over 30 years at 8% growth annually and it grows to $80K. Do that 4 times over a 30 year career in 8 year intervals and that’s an extra $160K.

In your retirement that’s an extra $530 a month in income with a 4% drawdown annually pre-tax. That money could also be pulled and dumped into the mortgage to help finish it off towards the end of your career.

Nobody wants to hear that though. They just wanna make poor financial choices now and not think of any opportunity cost.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That lifestyle inflation be the biggest killer. I can already see it in my little cousin who just turn 25. She just got her first 100k job and now she on that

"I deserve" "I work too hard to not deserve" blah blah wave. as she finances the new whip, renting the luxury apt, taking mad trips with little attention paid to investments. Trying to get her to change her mindset but you know how our women b sometimes. Once they get a little bit of paper can't tell'em nothing :francis:
I had to start investing to understand what I was giving up my my youth being dumb with money. Once you start seeing your own money grow and compound over time it changes how you view money. Most changes people need to make aren't major. Instead of buying a brand new car get a 2 year old car with low miles and invest the difference. Set budgets and track your spending.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel the same way. If a person had invested money in a simple Nasdaq index fund at the beginning of 2020 they would had made a 40% gain by the the end of the year. Even more conservative funds like VOO had a 18% gain in 2020 and 31% gain in 2019. That is why the most of the elite keep getting richer in a crisis. It sad to say or hear but they profit a lot from a crisis.

Made so much money last year it's crazy. The rich get richer while the people who have no investments seem like their money has less value because everything went up

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not sure that is the case in this particular instant though. OP max out his 401k which is 19.5K/year, he saving 24K/year, and putting $6K/year in stock. That is almost 50K/year he have outside of paying bills. In 5 years that is $250K, 10 years $500K, etc and that just principle alone. This isn't not even including any interest from his stocks or 401K.

If you want to take a few vacations a year or upgrade day to day life with perhaps a maid or landscapers,etc. You need money on top of bills, savings and investments.

And it’s ok to want and have “luxuries”.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
If you want to take a few vacations a year or upgrade day to day life with perhaps a maid or landscapers,etc. You need money on top of bills, savings and investments.

And it’s ok to want and have “luxuries”.
It's okay to want them but still understand that's what those are. Luxuries. Putting away $30K is unfeasible for 95% of people on the planet.