The game is rigged. 100k is still not enough, and that is crazy.

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
I promise you this is not a brag thread but one to open the eyes of people pining for that six figure salary. It truly is not much at all to break 100K. I make well over 100K and it still takes me an incredible long time to amass any type of formidable capital, other than financing it. Which just should not be the case. If the crucial things in life, for example, a house (or any property, condo, etc.) and a car, require the vast majority of people to have the money loaned to them, something is very much wrong. I couldn't imagine doing it on my salary let alone half.

I have it in a spreadsheet and track everything in and out. On a base level, after all expenses I am able to save $2000 a month. That's with maxing out my 401K. I also put $500 a month into the stock market. $2000 a month is $24000 a year. The average cost of a house last year was 280k. The average cost of a car is $40k. Sure you can buy the car used but who is going to buy the new car so that it becomes "used?" You're or someone else is forced to take a loan from a bank that you'll be paying on for YEARS and be plagued by interest.

Mind you, only 10% or so of people make 100K or more in the US. What is everyone else doing? How is everyone else surviving? It just doesn't make sense. I am blessed to be in the position I am so I am able to save what I am able but what about 90% of the rest of society? So maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain to me how this all works. As of 2019 the US median income is fukking 32K. :mindblown:
I save 2K+ a month and I don't make as much as you. It's your budgeting.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I think this is OP's general concern. Even in his bracket he feels like at any moment he could lose it all so how in the world are people that actually make around the median income even functioning.

This thread is why the term "survivors remorse" exists. I've grappled with this feeling as well on many occasions. :yeshrug:
He's saving 24k per year. He's not just getting by.

I'm in a similar position. I don't worry about bills at all. I don't have to budget and save a couple k each month. I'm disappointed that I still have to live in the deep suburbs in my city but i recognise I'm a long way from struggling. I was getting paid half what I am now 5 years ago and I made it fairly comfortably then too

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Man don’t take this personally but STFU with this thread:francis:

that guy

Superstar
Daps
@The Realist Perspective I get what you’re trying to say but the title says “100k is still not enough” and you’re actively saving/investing a good portion of your income. I think that’s where the confusion is coming from

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
While this sounds like the typical "six figures is really not that much" Coli humble brag thread, there is a key difference; he has put two and two together and realized that if he can save close to the median income of a single individual in America and still question his overall financial picture then just imagine what someone making that median income (before taxes) is experiencing. Usually someone will lament their own six figure salary then claim that $7.25 minimum wage is completely adequate and if they raise it the cost of goods might go up a dollar or so. I get it though, they have to watch their wallets, 100k doesn't stretch that far at your local Burger King these days, let the Coli tell it, but I digress.

If more people who feel like they "made it" had the same realization as the OP we might actually progress towards setting things right within this country. Unfortunately most who are in the OP's financial bracket will lament their six figure salary while seeing nothing wrong with the vast majority of American's working for poverty wages. I don't know if I agree that 100k "isn't enough" but if it gets more people to realize that average wage ISN'T shyt and hasn't been for almost half a fukking century then yeah, 100k isn't enough. More people need to think like OP.

2stainz

GOON MUSIC
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
chitown, Sohh Icey towers, LWO
if it gets more people to realize that average wage ISN'T shyt and hasn't been for almost half a fukking century then yeah, 100k isn't enough.
Yup. We seem to just take the shytty standard of living of the blue collar working class as a foregone conclusion

Not to mention, until Obamacare.. half of them were almost completely uninsured and depended on the emergency room for their health care

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
You can be smart with your money and spend money too.

25k is a significant increase in income.

you gotta reward and enjoy yourself.

That’s $25k increase in gross, not net. Lifestyle shouldn’t leap too far ahead.

That’s less than $1500 increase/month in take home. So, you bump up rent by $1000 and car by another $300 and you can easily see how lifestyle creep can have people on a hamster wheel.

Now, if we’re talking from $75k gross to $120-150k gross, that’s when the lifestyle creep can be better absorbed.

2stainz

GOON MUSIC
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
chitown, Sohh Icey towers, LWO
No, you can live off it pretty easy. That's not the goal though. The goal is to be able to do whatever it is you want, without a problem. Like once i got my investments straight i was able to do anything i wanted without worry. The salary alone won't get you there is what i was trying to say.
Care to elaborate on investments?.. Im still learning. Got like 10-15k I want to put into rental property but I want to do it correctly.

Did you get a financial adviser first or anything?

:lupe:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I promise you this is not a brag thread but one to open the eyes of people pining for that six figure salary. It truly is not much at all to break 100K. I make well over 100K and it still takes me an incredible long time to amass any type of formidable capital, other than financing it. Which just should not be the case. If the crucial things in life, for example, a house (or any property, condo, etc.) and a car, require the vast majority of people to have the money loaned to them, something is very much wrong. I couldn't imagine doing it on my salary let alone half.

I have it in a spreadsheet and track everything in and out. On a base level, after all expenses I am able to save $2000 a month. That's with maxing out my 401K. I also put $500 a month into the stock market. $2000 a month is $24000 a year. The average cost of a house last year was 280k. The average cost of a car is $40k. Sure you can buy the car used but who is going to buy the new car so that it becomes "used?" You're or someone else is forced to take a loan from a bank that you'll be paying on for YEARS and be plagued by interest.

Mind you, only 10% or so of people make 100K or more in the US. What is everyone else doing? How is everyone else surviving? It just doesn't make sense. I am blessed to be in the position I am so I am able to save what I am able but what about 90% of the rest of society? So maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain to me how this all works. As of 2019 the US median income is fukking 32K. :mindblown:
Making over $100K a year I could save and invest $4K a month easy. Here $100K a month is about $6K after taxes a month.

Your expenses are too high.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Care to elaborate on investments?.. Im still learning. Got like 10-15k I want to put into rental property but I want to do it correctly.

Did you get a financial adviser first or anything?

:lupe:

Nah.. I was looking at @BaldingSoHard and @-G$- accounts and figured i was doing something wrong so i got really aggressive and more than tripled my money in the last couple of years. I basically created my own way to invest after i did a ton of research.

Basically some people want to argue on here but i was listening to the people who had money and i just took it to another level after doing research. Your money will grow once you do the same.