The future of Video Games in whole

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Sitting back, and taking a few hits... I've been thinking in a sense. You know I am 28, and I was blessed to have a NES back in the day of 89' as a surprise from my father when I got out of school one day and never stopped indulging in games. So now we are at what could possibly be, the final consoles ever, as perhaps the next stage in consoles is something more unique that we don't need CD/Physical media.

I am looking at games now, and they have evolved into this creature.

Gone are the days of playing to just finish all the levels, and get a high score. We are seeing games with plot, and philosophy about humanity. With Mass Effect, along with other games, we can choose how we can end the story on our terms and who lives/dies.

Gone are the simpler days, but now more complexity, and even the soundtracks are Hollywood standard. I guess in a sense, what do you think in a sense the future holds for Games in general?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Some of the best games were the ones back in the day that told a simple story ( or didn't even have one) but had engaging characters with great motives. That or the story was a back drop to the game play.

I'd trade every gaming experience I've had in the last 10 years for another experience like sonic 1 or super mario world.

There have been some really great games, but they all feel more like movies more than games now. I love Mass effect, and Metal Gear, but man I miss those games like Chrono Trigger, Adventure Island and Bonk.

Games are all or nothing now, either too extreme in one area or too childish in another.

I feel like games will come back full circle were it's just about the game and not trying to make a movie experience out of your game, but that might be awhile in the coming after GTA V just made a billion in a 3 days. Everyone is going to try and try to sample bits and pieces from GTA again.