The #FlabbyNSick Phone/Phone Plan Appreciation Thread

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
(Ugh, wrong forum. Sorry. Just asked to have this moved to the Arcadium.)
____

What was your first smartphone? Mine was an HTC Mogul, a*k*a the Brick, a*k*a the Hole In Your Pocket. That thing was HUGE. I didn't have internet, so I was tethering with PDANet thanks to the SERO plan (More on that in a sec.) This thing got so hot that I would have to set it in a baggie and put it in a bowl of ice. But hey, free internet. And it had a pop-out keyboard, too! A KEYBOARD, Y'ALL!!!!

I
giphy.gif

I know what you're thinking. "Reeva," you ask. "What the hell is SERO?" Well...

1*9j2wLm5SqeMOPzED_EtGLA.gif

SERO was a Sprint employee plan that was $30/month for (gasp) a whopping 500 daytime minutes and free nights/weekends after 7. It also had unlimited data and unlimited text, which is normal nowadays but a HUGE deal back then. A few years later, we got hit with the SERO Premium plan, a*k*a the $10 smartphone charge. Seriously. If you were going to use a smartphone, you had to pay another $10. In exchange, however, we got our 7 pm plans bumped up to 6 pm.

I won't even lie. I was tethering until a few months ago, which is why I held on to the SERO plan. (You don't spend money you don't need to when you teach in Catholic school.) But this month, I had a family emergency. For the first time in over 10 years, I went past the 500 minute-mark. Did you know that Sprint charges 45 cents per minute for overage? Yeah, I didn't either. I also didn't know that unlimited talk/text has been a thing for YEARS. Or that I hadn't been on a two-year plan in over EIGHT years.

I remember when having a Fire Red RAZR was all the rage...when it was a huge thing to be able to play music on your phone...when "never get a cell phone contract!" was law (which is how Virgin Mobile got rich)...when you got the newest phones dirt cheap after renewing your phone plan...damn, I feel like that old dude at the end of the Green Mile now musing about how he'd seen another century come and go. Anyway, what were your first cell phones? Cell phone plans? Was I the only one who ever owned an AQUOS? And be honest - how bad did Virgin Mobile fukk you over back in the day?

Last edited:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
(Ugh, wrong forum. Sorry. Just asked to have this moved to the Arcadium.)
____

What was your first smartphone? Mine was an HTC Mogul, a*k*a the Brick, a*k*a the Hole In Your Pocket. That thing was HUGE. I didn't have internet, so I was tethering with PDANet thanks to the SERO plan (More on that in a sec.) This thing got so hot that I would have to set it in a baggie and put it in a bowl of ice. But hey, free internet. And it had a pop-out keyboard, too! A KEYBOARD, Y'ALL!!!!

I
giphy.gif

I know what you're thinking. "Reeva," you ask. "What the hell is SERO?" Well...

1*9j2wLm5SqeMOPzED_EtGLA.gif

SERO was a Sprint employee plan that was $30/month for (gasp) a whopping 500 daytime minutes and free nights/weekends after 7. It also had unlimited data and unlimited text, which is normal nowadays but a HUGE deal back then. A few years later, we got hit with the SERO Premium plan, a*k*a the $10 smartphone charge. Seriously. If you were going to use a smartphone, you had to pay another $10. In exchange, however, we got our 7 pm plans bumped up to 6 pm.

I won't even lie. I was tethering until a few months ago, which is why I held on to the SERO plan. (You don't spend money you don't need to when you teach in Catholic school.) But this month, I had a family emergency. For the first time in over 10 years, I went past the 500 minute-mark. Did you know that Sprint charges 45 cents per minute for overage? Yeah, I didn't either. I also didn't know that unlimited talk/text has been a thing for YEARS. Or that I hadn't been on a two-year plan in over EIGHT years.

I remember when having a Fire Red RAZR was all the rage...when it was a huge thing to be able to play music on your phone...when "never get a cell phone contract!" was law (which is how Virgin Mobile got rich)...when you got the newest phones dirt cheap after renewing your phone plan...damn, I feel like that old dude at the end of the Green Mile now musing about how he'd seen another century come and go. Anyway, what were your first cell phones? Cell phone plans? Was I the only one who ever owned an AQUOS? And be honest - how bad did Virgin Mobile fukk you over back in the day?
Where the hell do you live:dead: