The Fall of Catch Can Wrestling: From UWFI to Not Mention at All

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Brehs....something has been bothering me. I know I am the butt-end of the marsupial jokes with my stances on professional wrestling (I'm a tree climbing hater). But peep game, you know why that's the case....the lack of Catch Can in wrestling. I mean grappling, submission holds, and Pancrase strikes. There was a time when a younger me used to be hype for the Dean Melenkos, the Beenwahs, and Bret the GOATman GOAT.

It hurts to see that style of wrestling being treated as an afterthought for some more flips, power moves, and random dips. Let's talk about the GOD....Karl Gotch:

This man personified the shooting technique and dedicated routine to keep the workrate a float. While your favorite GOAT during the times were style, profiling, and saying prayer...this man was putting on hour clinics like it was a part of life.

Fast-forward to the beginning stages of Puro:

Strong Style was a more accessible approach to the pure technique of shoot style. Grappling resorts to kicks and strikes, along with the focus on dedication and craft to the ring. Fans don;'t want to be bored, so it's all back and forth instead of ground techniques. Then there are alternatives for the more modern Western wrestling crowd:

Kings Road goes from the technical approach of Strong Style to a more aggressive approach with emphasis on suplexes, slams, and movesets that would be the cause of endless injuries and deaths. All Japan in the 90s was a whole entire beast while NJPW started to fall from its glory days leading into Inokism. What if we were to somehow have a promotion dedicated to the goodness of grappling and the experience of MMA before the term was on display...look no further than these promotions:

These promotions brought the essence of grappling and palm strikes to a new plateau. Before UFC became a huge sensation, these promotions were creating the feeling of a gladiator type of experience. The type of stuff you would see in movies like Bloodsport and so forth. Why did this had to end? What made the fans stop caring for such a passionate form of sports? I tell you...the lack of theatrics and storyline. We enter Ring of Honor:

Yes, that's the stuff. Kick pads, strong style antics, Kings Road strength, and a twang of flippy shyt all in the form of sports entertainment. This indie fed took the world by storm. While WWE was lost in the limbo of winning the war against WCW and ECW folding. Wrestling gravitated to the likes of TNA, the overly hardcore aspect of CZW, and the focus of honor in the ring of ROH. Yet, somehow the feeling started to shift away from the grappling and athletics outside coordinated move sets. Kurt Angle went from doing ground techniques to flipping off of the stage onto Abyss. The submissions went from Crossface Chickenwing to getting choked out from chicken wire. Wrestlers like Bob Backlund were joke characters, instead of elites to the craft of catch can.

Hell, Bret Hart got put on the permanent shelf for a kick to the head. As UFC gain traction, so did the end of the squared circle. We end up embracing human cockfighting in a octagon with folks that would rather strike, then take it to the ground. Even if they take it to the ground, the crowd bytch about boredom, instead of the human chess feeling of a proper ground game.

New Japan traded the strong style feeling for a more modern western take. No more grappling and takedowns for Inokism ended up being in the worst form of timing. Fast-forward to the present...

UFC focuses on strikes and theatrics, WWE craves the storyline and fast-paced action, AEW delivers the feeling of WCW/Territory wrestling with a twang of indie spice, and ROH the company that was last of the dying breed for the feeling of UWFI, ended up becoming a second version of AEW.

Pancrase itself ended up being swallowed by the MMA craze. Even PRIDE FC which I didn't mention, died because of background nonsense that spilled into the arena.

Overall, this is why I am jaded. I have always been a fan of catch can and grapple type of wrestling, yet I am the minority.

Not the main audience :francis:

Beautiful Bobby Eatin

SWEEEEEEEEEETNESS!
Daps
Reppin
Terra Belle, Georgia
Catch wrestlers get shyt on. Daniel Garcia, Wheeler Yuta (an extreme example of this but still does catch work), Zack Sabre Jr all examples of brehs that have been hated on on here.

Theres others like Tracy Williams, Tony Deppen, and Fred DA GAWD Yehi are out there too. People just dont see them as "exciting" but good limb work in a pro wrestling match can be godly if done right. Word to young Terry Funk.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Catch wrestlers get shyt on. Daniel Garcia, Wheeler Yuta (an extreme example of this but still does catch work), Zack Sabre Jr all examples of brehs that have been hated on on here.

Theres others like Tracy Williams, Tony Deppen, and Fred DA GAWD Yehi are out there too. People just dont see them as "exciting" but good limb work in a pro wrestling match can be godly if done right. Word to young Terry Funk.

That's sadly it. Trust I hate Garcia's and Yuta's bland gimmicks, but good grief them dudes put on a clinic. It sucks that they don't seem exciting to look at because they missing out on the essence of professional wrestling.

I remember the time I subbed to NJPW World and the first match I saw was probably one of the best matches I have ever seen. It was Inoki and (forgot the other dudes name) vs Gotch/Thez

These men were floating in the ring. I mean, I was in a trance. It was so beautiful. Straight up wrestling ASMR :wow:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Brehs....something has been bothering me. I know I am the butt-end of the marsupial jokes with my stances on professional wrestling (I'm a tree climbing hater). But peep game, you know why that's the case....the lack of Catch Can in wrestling. I mean grappling, submission holds, and Pancrase strikes. There was a time when a younger me used to be hype for the Dean Melenkos, the Beenwahs, and Bret the GOATman GOAT.

It hurts to see that style of wrestling being treated as an afterthought for some more flips, power moves, and random dips. Let's talk about the GOD....Karl Gotch:

This man personified the shooting technique and dedicated routine to keep the workrate a float. While your favorite GOAT during the times were style, profiling, and saying prayer...this man was putting on hour clinics like it was a part of life.

Fast-forward to the beginning stages of Puro:

Strong Style was a more accessible approach to the pure technique of shoot style. Grappling resorts to kicks and strikes, along with the focus on dedication and craft to the ring. Fans don;'t want to be bored, so it's all back and forth instead of ground techniques. Then there are alternatives for the more modern Western wrestling crowd:

Kings Road goes from the technical approach of Strong Style to a more aggressive approach with emphasis on suplexes, slams, and movesets that would be the cause of endless injuries and deaths. All Japan in the 90s was a whole entire beast while NJPW started to fall from its glory days leading into Inokism. What if we were to somehow have a promotion dedicated to the goodness of grappling and the experience of MMA before the term was on display...look no further than these promotions:

These promotions brought the essence of grappling and palm strikes to a new plateau. Before UFC became a huge sensation, these promotions were creating the feeling of a gladiator type of experience. The type of stuff you would see in movies like Bloodsport and so forth. Why did this had to end? What made the fans stop caring for such a passionate form of sports? I tell you...the lack of theatrics and storyline. We enter Ring of Honor:

Yes, that's the stuff. Kick pads, strong style antics, Kings Road strength, and a twang of flippy shyt all in the form of sports entertainment. This indie fed took the world by storm. While WWE was lost in the limbo of winning the war against WCW and ECW folding. Wrestling gravitated to the likes of TNA, the overly hardcore aspect of CZW, and the focus of honor in the ring of ROH. Yet, somehow the feeling started to shift away from the grappling and athletics outside coordinated move sets. Kurt Angle went from doing ground techniques to flipping off of the stage onto Abyss. The submissions went from Crossface Chickenwing to getting choked out from chicken wire. Wrestlers like Bob Backlund were joke characters, instead of elites to the craft of catch can.

Hell, Bret Hart got put on the permanent shelf for a kick to the head. As UFC gain traction, so did the end of the squared circle. We end up embracing human cockfighting in a octagon with folks that would rather strike, then take it to the ground. Even if they take it to the ground, the crowd bytch about boredom, instead of the human chess feeling of a proper ground game.

New Japan traded the strong style feeling for a more modern western take. No more grappling and takedowns for Inokism ended up being in the worst form of timing. Fast-forward to the present...

UFC focuses on strikes and theatrics, WWE craves the storyline and fast-paced action, AEW delivers the feeling of WCW/Territory wrestling with a twang of indie spice, and ROH the company that was last of the dying breed for the feeling of UWFI, ended up becoming a second version of AEW.

Pancrase itself ended up being swallowed by the MMA craze. Even PRIDE FC which I didn't mention, died because of background nonsense that spilled into the arena.

Overall, this is why I am jaded. I have always been a fan of catch can and grapple type of wrestling, yet I am the minority.

Not the main audience :francis:

A certain name that should not be mentioned.

Is why all that changed.
Plus the five star match was elongated to the six and seven star match. As the actual best match in that style.
or idea or evolution of the workrqte quality idea. Had already been achieved and unsurpassed by the workrate and last of what would become the next evolution of holy shyt endings in wrasslin. So once both principles in a hooded eddy and the grappler we shall not name passed. Plus how they passed.

The best way to make wrasslin interesting is try to move the scale past that match somehow and base everything else moving forward.
on the progression of what occurred after that encounter.
To distance yourself from that encounter by having more encounters of that type. Which are going to escalate to outdoing the workrate.
in principles of tiger mask v he who shall not be named.

So it never went away. It just had to be compartmentalized to a certain aesthetic. To get away from the epic tragedy.
of what he shall not be named did.

So the only way wrasslin could do that as a whole. Was to market the so-called evolution of what the definitive match was.
as the main driving force of the card.

Frankly you may never see that shoot grapple extensive style come back. As rhe driving force of a promotion domestically. As the tragedy is to heightened and emotionally charged to keep revisiting. For wrasslin to draw moving forward as a whole. So the next best step is to try to elevate what was there. Plus evolve what was there.
so the callbacks are way to elaborate.
to tie down to just tiger mask versus he who shall not be named.

Art Barr

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
But peep game, you know why that's the case....the lack of Catch Can in wrestling. I mean grappling, submission holds, and Pancrase strikes. There was a time when a younger me used to be hype for the Dean Melenkos, the Beenwahs, and Bret the GOATman GOAT.
My favorite matstyle. I think that’s why it’s been so easy for me to dip in and of wrestling the past damn near 2 decades. When indies as a whole gravitated towards the PWG style over ROH, it was over :francis: now the shyt is all over WWE, AEW, local feds, eucalyptus trees, etc

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
My favorite matstyle. I think that’s why it’s been so easy for me to dip in and of wrestling the past damn near 2 decades. When indies as a whole gravitated towards the PWG style over ROH, it was over :francis: now the shyt is all over WWE, AEW, local feds, eucalyptus trees, etc

Yeah...even NXT which trying the British rules concept, always ends in some floppy dippy nonsense. I have been longing for a Pancrase/hybrid type of wrestling affair, but it's like the modern wrestler don't want to put the time into the mat, but would rather get their shyt in :francis: