The Diplomat - Netflix TV Show

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
It held my interest for about 4 episodes. Really like Keri Russel, and I'm up enough on politics and State Department, CIA liasons, whatever to be interested, but it lurched between the romantic comedy and political thriller roughly, and both have elements of the entirely absurd.

The plot itself feels like it was taken from 1990's thrillers, James Bond's Tomorrow Never Dies, to name one, which undercuts the idea that it is serious.

Russell's performance too, gets more strained, and she just doubles down on the no nonsense type, which grates with the rom com stuff. One second they are at a funeral, and then we are in some kind of Jennifer Lopez 2002 romantic comedy, and then she's snarling at someone about the price of racially motivated violence, then she's having a kind of Gary /Grace Kelly Hepburn lovers fight in a garden, like out of Hitchcock's To Catch A Thief.

Probably they did this to appeal to a wide audience, which I understand, the kind that watches a lot of MSNBC, which is fine, but to me, it's refusal to commit (or excel) hinders it. The production is also mostly unconvincingly cheap.

Last edited: