The damn BET awards are tomorrow …. I had no idea 🤷🏾‍♂️ do you think the reason why no big stars don’t come out is because…

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
I always said that black award shows died with those 3.....add Luther as well.

The thing about black music culture is that we always had icons to replace icons when they died off. Now who would be a considered a icon under 50?

Beyonce, maybe Usher and who else?

We can always give Busta Rhymes a call. He usually free

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Celebrityism is just weak overall now.

shyt is so embarrassing today, but was an enormous deal 10 years ago:

It's all about Tiktok, Twitch, etc. now.

How many people can name who won Grammy or Oscar awards this year?

I'd say cats like Kai Cenat, Sneako, Speed, Andrew Tate, etc. got the juice now. I don't really know those people, but I see their names a lot more than most celebrities now. Young people rock with them and old people want to be young so they tune in or peep what's going on.

Plus awards shows got that "commercial/sell out" feel to them. It basically has a lame feeling with it.

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
The people who are there are the “big stars” Who else are you looking for to go there? Drake ain’t going for obvious reasons. Jay and Bey never go. Kendrick goes when he want, etc

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Like @IIVI was saying, Celebrityism as a whole is not what it used to be.

Celebrities used to matter because they weren’t so accessible. But now that you can watch them on YouTube
and follow their lives and thoughts on Social Media, they’re basically just like everyone else. It doesn’t matter so much
that their all in one room together.

And particularly for the BET Awards:

1. We don’t even know the chit that will be rewarded/rewardable. When they used to have the Soul Train Awards,
they would least print the nominations in Jet and/or Ebony a month or so in advance.

2. When I saw the commercial for who was performing, I knew like 2/7 of them - and I don’t know what they might be
performing. And also - where are the Men stars?

2B. Highkey - BET been showing us for a minute they don’t particularly care to showcase Male celebrities.

3. Then I saw the Tribute to Usher. Is Usher the only entertainer left that niccas have? We just had Usher Day for
The Super Bowl. But even then - who else might deserve a tribute?

4/Omega: …and for reals, Award shows are supposed to be about pomp, gallance, and (dare I say) bourgeoisness.
That doesn’t mix very well with youthful exuberance and rachetness, which is what Culture seems to extoll at the moment.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cacs got them scared to support it.

Nasally cac voice: “Why do we need a blaaaaaack channel?”

Foh cac

We need more racial pride and unity.