‘The Crow’ remake loses its director, but gains another…

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
4869_front-214x300.jpg

Relativity Media has been trying to get a remake of Alex Proyas’ 1994 cult classic The Crow off the ground for what feels like years now. The project has burned through directors and actors on a frequent basis. 28 Weeks Laterfilmmaker Juan Carlos Fresnadillo came and went, while Hollywood big timers Bradley Cooper and Mark Wahlberg were once in consideration for the role.

Now that Spanish filmmaker F. Javier Gutiérrez (2008′sBefore the Fall) is at the helm, AICN reports that the film is inching its way towards finalizing a lead. The top contendor as of right now? X-Men: First Class and Wanted actor James McAvoy. Of course, many fans of the original film who still mourn the tragic loss of star Brandon Lee feel that this is a franchise best left in our memories.

Updates: The Wrap reports that Tom Hiddleston (who plays Loki in The Avengers and Thor) is in talks to play the lead.

According to Deadline, Tom Hiddleston’s involvement has been blown way out of proportion, stemming from a “simple conversation.” However, Deadline does note that True Blood’sAlexander Skarsgard is being looked at, though no formal offer has been sent yet. “It sounds to me like it’s Skarsgard’s role if he wants it in the F. Javier Gutierrez-directed film series relaunch.” | Deadline reports that the new Eric Draven will be Fast & Furious 6′s Luke Evans.

Variety reports that James O’Barr, creator of the original The Crow graphic novel, is on board as a consultant for the reboot. “I believe that this movie will stand alongside Brandon and his film as a valid work of art, and I look forward to collaborating on the project,” said O’Barr.

Deadline reports that producer Jeff Most (The Crow) – who is also working on the remake — is suing Relativity Media and fellow producer Edward R. Pressman for breach of contract and good faith, fraud, deceit and contractual interference. See the actual filed complaint here.

In an interview with Shock Till You Drop, Javier Gutierrez says that The Crow begins prepping in October. He also says that it’s not a remake, it’s a new interpretation. To read the full interview and to check out the Comic Con promotional poster, visit Shock Till You Drop.

James O’Barr chats with Total Film in their latest issue: Here’s an excerpt: “It was his [Javier Gutierrez] idea to go right back to the source material and essentially shoot it shot-for-shot, as in the book, but with a little more backstory for some of the characters,” says O’Barr. O’barr also states that Gutierrez wants to be “as faithful as possible, even down to all the visual metaphors of trains and horses.”

The Playlist reports that Normal Reedus (The Walking Dead) is being approached for a role as “James.” In addition Luke Evans, who is playing Eric Draven, tweeted: “First day of my intense training for The Crow is done!” Also, Kristen Stewart was supposedly ruled out for the role of “Shelly.”

According to THR, producer Ed Pressman (the original Crow) has revealed that The Crow remake may start shooting in Spring of 2015.

According to a recent interview with creator James O’Barr, The Crow remake will be closer to a John Woo film. Here are more details: “We’re not remaking the movie, we’re readapting the book. My metaphor is that there is a Bela Lugosi Dracula and there’s a Francis Ford Coppola Dracula, they use the same material, but you still got two entirely different films. This one’s going to be closer toTaxi Driver or a John Woo film, and I think there’s room for both of them – part of the appeal of theCrow comics after all is that they can tell very different stories after all.”

BREAKING NEWS: According to Deadline (via FCS), Relativity Studios has hired short-filmmaker Corin Hardy to direct the Crow remake. Javier Gutiérrez bailed out, in favor of a new Ring sequel. Want to see one of Hardy’s short films? click here.

• Dap
Reactions: Hi!

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
It wont work without Brandon Lee....none of those trash sequels could work. Lee MADE that first film iconic

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
It wont work without Brandon Lee....none of those trash sequels could work. Lee MADE that first film iconic

the first two were solid could get into the others

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
-Ain't no new thread on this now that the trailer's out? I did a search but didn't find anything else?