The Cable Industry Makes $28 Billion Annually In Bullshyt Fees

bnew

Veteran
Daps
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...makes-28-billion-annually-bullshyt-fees.shtml

Wed, Oct 9th 2019 6:23am — Karl Bode
Last week we highlighted a study showing that your cable bill can be as much as 45 percent higher than the advertised price thanks to bullshyt fees. Now a new study by Consumer Reports shows that up to 24 percent of your monthly cable bill is comprised of said bullshyt fees. The fees are designed specifically for one purpose: to let companies falsely advertise one rate, then charge you significantly more money. It's effectively false advertising, but efforts to rein in the practice are fleeting to nonexistent, because creatively fleecing American consumers is just so hot right now.

Consumer Reports examined 787 consumer cable bills from 13 top cable providers and found that while the average user paid around $156.71 per month for cable TV, users in reality paid $217.42 a month once fees were included. As such about 24 percent of your cable TV bill each month ($37.11) is made up of fees and hidden surcharges, generating about $450 per year per consumer for the industry, or about $28 billion in total.

The report is quick to highlight how some of the bullshyt fees (like the "regulatory recovery fee") are named in such a way to trick the consumer into blaming government. The group reached out to 74 consumer reps posing as a customer and found that support reps are pretty clearly trained to create that impression:

"Often these fees are misleadingly portrayed by cable providers as government-mandated surcharges so that consumers blame the government instead of cable providers. One such fee is the “regulatory recovery fee,” specifically named for just this purpose.

Consumer Reports researchers say they posed as consumers and called 74 customer service representatives (CSR), who routinely tried to blame government for excessive surcharges.

"At least one CSR of every major provider that our secret shoppers contacted misstated that fees were mandated by the government, without a clear distinction made between company-imposed fees and regulatory pass-through fees," the report said.

One of the industry's favorite, more recent fees is the "Broadcast TV fee," which we've hammered on previously. This fee simply involves taking a portion of the cost of programming and burying it below the line as an itemized fee, again with an eye on falsely advertising a lower rate. Thanks in part to a government that can't be bothered to protect consumers from said false advertising, Comcast has quietly been jacking up this fee for the better part of the last decade with zero repercussions whatsoever:

"The study found that in 2015, Comcast started charging consumers a $1-a-month Regional Sports Fee and $1.50-a-month broadcast TV fee ($2.50 per month). By 2019 those fees had ballooned to $18.50 a month, or a 600 percent increase in just four years."

Cool. While some bills have been proposed to rein in the practice, they routinely go nowhere thanks to our campaign contribution slathered Congress. And the FCC just neutered much of its authority over broadband and cable TV providers at lobbyist behest. Good times, yeah?

Keep in mind this is how the cable TV industry behaves when competition from streaming alternatives is steadily driving customers to cut the traditional cable TV cord, illustrating how organic competition isn't always enough to prevent entrenched predatory monopolies from behaving badly. Cable giants figure that sure, they may lose some TV subscribers by being predatory b*stards, but they'll just recoup those costs by raising the costs of broadband (where they hold a more solid natural monopoly, another problem we apparently don't want to do anything about).

L Ray

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Glass city
I just have internet to through att at the moment. They had a deal where if I paid 100 for the modem up front and didn't need install I get it 50 bucks a month for 2 years and the two months were free. So far all my bills been something like 51.33 after tax and I have had no issues :yeshrug:. The only other real offer we have here is Buckeye Cable but all the affordable plans are A 250 gb limit so I needed att's 1 tb. Toledo sucks in that fashion cuz where I live spectrum isn't here and we don't fioz so we are pretty limited. One of these days consumers are gonna say fukk the local pride though cuz buckeye fukk around too much..

I got "locked into a one year 80 dollar high speed plan with them once" through buckeye. and my bills were common out to like 130-140 a month after all the shyt.:picard: it was solid service but dropped it quick cuz it was no contract.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I just have internet to through att at the moment. They had a deal where if I paid 100 for the modem up front and didn't need install I get it 50 bucks a month for 2 years and the two months were free. So far all my bills been something like 51.33 after tax and I have had no issues :yeshrug:. The only other real offer we have here is Buckeye Cable but all the affordable plans are A 250 gb limit so I needed att's 1 tb. Toledo sucks in that fashion cuz where I live spectrum isn't here and we don't fioz so we are pretty limited. One of these days consumers are gonna say fukk the local pride though cuz buckeye fukk around too much..

I got "locked into a one year 80 dollar high speed plan with them once" through buckeye. and my bills were common out to like 130-140 a month after all the shyt.:picard: it was solid service but dropped it quick cuz it was no contract.

this isp may service your area Starry Internet Service — Happy Interneting. , similar pricing but doesn't hurt to check your options.
What speeds do you offer?

We offer one simple plan with speeds of 200 Megabits per second. There are no extra taxes or fees, and all equipment included for $50/month.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
What is this you speak of

maybe this :yeshrug:

You Can Buy Lifetime Internet Access For Just $5 On The Dark Web

Can you imagine an Internet provider offering you lifetime access for just $5? Not a month, mind you. Just a one-time payment of $5 and nothing more, ever. Of course you can't, because no ISP is ever going to do that. On the Dark Web, however, you can find someone who will gladly get you connected.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fleemathews%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2Fxftinity-wifi.jpg

Image: Comcast

These sellers are offering Internet access via a real big-name ISP, no less. Hand over just $5 worth of Bitcoin and they'll hook you up with access to Comcast's Xfinity Wi-Fi network. How can they offer lifetime access for the price of a couple coffees? By selling access to compromised accounts.

Like many ISPs, Comcast offers its customers free access to a nationwide network of Wi-Fi hotspots. Chances are good that you live near at least one. To be clear, these are not Comcast customers' personal Wi-Fi networks. This is the company's own network, which launched in 2014 and operates independently of Comcast user's Internet connections.

Where did they get the credentials? Comcast did suffer a breach in 2015 in which the passwords of around 590,000 of its customers were accidentally exposed. Fewer than half those accounts were actually current, however, and Comcast immediately reset all affected passwords.

These dark web vendors may be capitalizing on email address and passwords that have been exposed in other breaches. Password re-use is still rampant today, despite repeated warnings from security experts. If a Comcast email address and password pair popped up in another massive dump of credentials, there's a decent chance it might just grant access to the Xfinity Wi-Fi network.