The Barkley Marathons: "The Race That Eats Its Young"

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Saw this reddit post about the first woman to finish it a few days ago

and somebody linked this documentary that came out a few years back. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep because I stayed up and watched the doc smh

The race is so tough, finishing 3 loops is considered an accomplishment. Only 20 people have completed it a total of 26 times. Four people finished it this year

• The founder created the race after learning of the prison escape of James Earl Ray, the man who assassinated Dr. MLK Jr. The prison is along the race route.
  • The race is not advertised. Applicants must submit an essay explaining why they want to compete and a $1.60 application fee.
  • On the night of the event the participants have to listen for the sound of a conch shell that indicates the race will begin in one hour.
  • The race begins with the lighting of a ceremonial cigarette.
  • Runners must find books along the route and rip out pages that correspond to their assigned number to prove their progress.
  • There are no route markers and participants have to memorize the route before beginning.
  • The ascent and descent is the equivalent of 60,000 feet, twice the elevation of Mt. Everest. Much of the terrain has no path.
It's top tier #FFFFFF people shyt :mjpls:

But them Ultra marathoners are a different breed. I can't front , watching this shyt made my push through my incline sprints in the gym this morning

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
  • The founder created the race after learning of the prison escape of James Earl Ray, the man who assassinated Dr. MLK Jr. The prison is along the race route.
Off topic

:patrice:

TTYL; Ray didn't do it and the Gov't was caught in 4K fukking up the investigation

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
5 loops is of the 20+ mile course?!?! :damn:

The sadistic fukk created this race too

the funny thing, in the doc he said he wouldn't even be able to complete the Barkley lmaooo. Sadistic is the perfect adjective to describe him
Off topic

:patrice:

TTYL; Ray didn't do it and the Gov't was caught in 4K fukking up the investigation

Good looks, I'll peep. the older I get the more I want to research MLK's assassination

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Good looks, I'll peep. the older I get the more I want to research MLK's assassination

I always "thought" the government had something to do with it

Because they were heavily survilling him and other leaders of the movement...they had to have been able to stop it

Dude outright proves the gov't had a hand in covering it up

It's worth the hour to watch