The 2024 Baltimore Ravens thread

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Meh if Pees is just an advisor I don’t see any issue, as long as he’s not gonna be calling plays again :sadcam:
That's the thing though. Advisors instill philosophy which affects decision making and sometimes scheme. Orr will revert back to what Pees says he should/would do if Orr is in a tough spot.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How are they setting up Orr for failure when it was his decision?
I don't believe any personnel decisions on this team happen without Harbaugh's approval. Orr can say he's stayed in contact and all that fluff, but I don't believe one bit of it.

This is Harbaugh looking out for Pees and taking blame for anything that goes wrong off himself. He's also giving Orr Pees so he can say, "we tried, it just didn't work out" for the people that would say they didn't do everything they could to help Orr, a new DC who's never called plays.

If they really wanted to help Orr, there are several great former DCs who have had way more success than Pees still looking for employment.

Familiarity breeds complacency. Orr needs someone who will bring a perspective he's not seeing. Pees ain't it...this is wash, rinse, repeat bs.

Harbaugh be hiring people he can manipulate/bully and he's used to. I bet if he brought Vrabel or Belichick in, the defense would be fixed before Halloween. But then, Harbaugh would be exposed for the dumbshyt he does because they're gonna call him out.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Pees wasn’t a bad DC tho. I don’t understand why he getting shytted on
:heh:

He had a top 10 defense every year except two and those defenses were both ranked 12
It's his decisions when they need a stop. Stan highlighted quite a few a page back. His plays are too conservative at the wrong time. His situational football is shyt.

Now, some if not all of it, may have been Harbaugh's doing, but look at that Squeelers game when AB reached his arm over the endzone and they beat the Ravens for the division if I'm not mistaken. Pees had CBs giving absurd 10-12 yard cushions and they just marched down the field dinking and donking til they scored. Pees always did this when the corners should've been playing up close to jam the receivers, which throws off timing and allows the passrush to get to the QB.

The bad timing cover 0s is something he did alot of too. That's been pretty constant with any DC since Harbaugh's been here. Orr was guilty of it last week, but Burrow didn't take advantage.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I don't believe any personnel decisions on this team happen without Harbaugh's approval. Orr can say he's stayed in contact and all that fluff, but I don't believe one bit of it.

This is Harbaugh looking out for Pees and taking blame for anything that goes wrong off himself. He's also giving Orr Pees so he can say, "we tried, it just didn't work out" for the people that would say they didn't do everything they could to help Orr, a new DC who's never called plays.

If they really wanted to help Orr, there are several great former DCs who have had way more success than Pees still looking for employment.

Familiarity breeds complacency. Orr needs someone who will bring a perspective he's not seeing. Pees ain't it...this is wash, rinse, repeat bs.

Harbaugh be hiring people he can manipulate/bully and he's used to. I bet if he brought Vrabel or Belichick in, the defense would be fixed before Halloween. But then, Harbaugh would be exposed for the dumbshyt he does because they're gonna call him out.
So basically you saying Orr is lying ? :heh:

I’m sure Harbaugh had to give his approval but it sounds like it was Orr’s decision

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
It's his decisions when they need a stop. Stan highlighted quite a few a page back. His plays are too conservative at the wrong time. His situational football is shyt.

Now, some if not all of it, may have been Harbaugh's doing, but look at that Squeelers game when AB reached his arm over the endzone and they beat the Ravens for the division if I'm not mistaken. Pees had CBs giving absurd 10-12 yard cushions and they just marched down the field dinking and donking til they scored. Pees always did this when the corners should've been playing up close to jam the receivers, which throws off timing and allows the passrush to get to the QB.

The bad timing cover 0s is something he did alot of too. That's been pretty constant with any DC since Harbaugh's been here. Orr was guilty of it last week, but Burrow didn't take advantage.
Yea Pees wasn’t the best but he consistently had one of the better defenses in the league every year. One thing I clearly remember was how gassed the d was those years becuz the offense could never sustain long drives

Those were the years Flacco was called over paid. He was throwing to a washed up Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree. Steve Smith was good but he was past his prime.

And the RBs were dudes like Alex Collins and Terrence West
:scust:

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
So basically you saying Orr is lying ? :heh:

I’m sure Harbaugh had to give his approval but it sounds like it was Orr’s decision
I think Orr is lying. I think Harbaugh keeps in contact with Pees because they're friends. Harbaugh probably called Orr into his office when he had Pees on the phone and was like, "what do you think of bringing Dean in as an advisor..." I don't see Orr or anybody that's new to a position and struggling schematically saying no to that. You're basically asking for trouble.

In that regard, it was Orr's "decision," but was it really :pachaha:

We see in Harbaugh's press conferences how he tries to wordsmith and use his verbal judo. He ain't slick. Harbaugh loves Pees so much he didn't even want to fire him, they said he retired, but he goes to the Titans a few months later...they're full of shyt. Harbaugh keeps in contact with Pees, not Orr.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yea Pees wasn’t the best but he consistently had one of the better defenses in the league every year. One thing I clearly remember was how gassed the d was those years becuz the offense could never sustain long drives

Those were the years Flacco was called over paid. He was throwing to a washed up Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree. Steve Smith was good but he was past his prime.

And the RBs were dudes like Alex Collins and Terrence West
:scust:
That's true, the offense was terrible with checkdown Joe. Shame he played so scared after he got the contract. I wouldn't even have given a shyt at that point because you got the money, throw the damn ball. He plays better now on year to year contracts, which is sad. Might've gotten another Superbowl out of him if they franchise tagged him instead of giving him the money since he seems to play better when contracts on the line.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
none, they are unsigned for a reason. defense issues is communication and scheme . not players.
It is scheme, but unfortunately, I don't think the scheme is going to help Eddie Jackson or Malik Harrison be better at coverage. I've seen enough from them to know Eddie looks lost, takes terrible angles, and Malik will never develop his coverage abilities. Malik is exceptional against the run, so they need to use him in those situations...not passing downs or teams with passing tendencies. Eddie either needs more time to digest the playbook, or he needs to be in another system.

its2late2hate

Rookie
Daps
The sad part you can look at the 3 departures and tell we didn’t lose anything from a personnel standpoint. Geno Stone has graded terribly in Cincy for obvious reasons . Clowney has 1 sack , and Queen has been invisible . Steelers reddit HATES him already for his bad coverage and ball watching.

its2late2hate

Rookie
Daps
Quite as kept, Roquan is being asked for cover to much ground in Dime packages. I thought him and Fred Warner were neck and neck as best LB, but Fred is miles better in coverage , while Ro is slighter better vs the Run. Maulet is missed because last year he played a lot of middle LB in obvious passing downs in Dime looks

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Tbf that Matt Elam pick during his second season as DC set the team back some. And the D was on the field so much becuz they couldn’t run due to Ray Rice falling off a cliff. Then ironically they lost Orr to that neck injury. But Pees had a top 10 D every year but two. I don’t have a problem with them bringing him back at all if that’s who Orr is comfortable with

Pees wasn’t a bad DC tho. I don’t understand why he getting shytted on
:heh:

He had a top 10 defense every year except two and those defenses were both ranked 12

Elam didn’t help, but they were consistently the worst tackling team under Pees so he deserves a lot of blame there. He was bad because while his defense was good the first 45-50 minutes, you could put a stopwatch to it that they’d fold under pressure because he was predictable and never adjusted. Teams knew they could nickel and dime his defenses to death in the 4th, that he wouldn’t send his top corners to follow the best receivers so it was easy to scheme them open, that he wouldn’t send help for a corner who was struggling (look at Cary Williams vs New England in the 2012 Sunday night home game and Rashaan Melvin in the 2014 divisional round), and he never disguised coverages or blitzes so it was easy to adjust where throw to. This is why his defenses lost 24 different games just on the final possession alone during his 6 years. That’s 25% of their entire schedule just in that specific scenario, not to mention games where the defense was just bad.

The blame for the 2013 running game was on the line more than Rice. 25% of the team’s entire rushing attempts saw the ball carrier get hit behind the line of scrimmage and 40% of their runs went for 2 yards or less. Their line graded out as the worst run blocking unit since the merger and yet Caldwell kept calling runs out of the pistol so the backs had to go 10 yards just to break even. Then 2015 was a problem because Gary Kubiak left for Denver and took his blocking scheme with him while Marc Trestman replaced him :hhh:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Quite as kept, Roquan is being asked for cover to much ground in Dime packages. I thought him and Fred Warner were neck and neck as best LB, but Fred is miles better in coverage , while Ro is slighter better vs the Run. Maulet is missed because last year he played a lot of middle LB in obvious passing downs in Dime looks
Trenton Simpson is a better coverage LB than Ro

he actually played the same joker position that Kyle Hamilton played in college so he has alot of experience playing nickel CB and dime backer but for some reason when we play him on passing downs hes either blitzing or playing the flats

the need to use him in the middle and let Ro blitz or play the flats

Ro doesnt have the speed to cover the middle

Last edited:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Tbf that Matt Elam pick during his second season as DC set the team back some. And the D was on the field so much becuz they couldn’t run due to Ray Rice falling off a cliff. Then ironically they lost Orr to that neck injury. But Pees had a top 10 D every year but two. I don’t have a problem with them bringing him back at all if that’s who Orr is comfortable with
nah Pees brought that bend but dont break shyt to Baltimore

we were never that type of defense before him

im not ok with letting teams dink and dunk down the field then trying to play defense once they get to the redzone

shyt doesnt work and always costed us winnable games

we call him Swiss Pees for a reason...because there was always big holes in his defense

alot of Harbaughs blown 4th quarter leads came during the Pees era

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
im actually in disbelief we brought Pees back

watching the game Sunday that defense reminded me so much of Pees defenses

playing the corners 10 yards off the ball in the redzone...soft zones leaving people wide open....constantly giving Burrow easy short passes

now I know why

Pees been Orr ear from the jump

I see Orr say this was his idea but nobody is buying that shyt. This is 100% a Harbaugh move

he knows he fukked up hiring a young DC that wasnt ready and now hes bringing in his buddy to take over