That time Don West randomly turned heel on Mike Tenay for no reason

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Funny enough Jarrett talked about this about a month and a half ago on his podcast and said it was a terrible decision

“I hated it. I despised it. It made me furious,” Jeff revealed. “A lot of things were going right, the ratings were good, and Dixie (Carter) wants to say, ‘But Don West doesn’t make sense. We need a heel color commentator.’ No, we don’t. Don West in a lot of ways was the fan’s man because that’s what he was when he first started. He still is to this day. He’s an infectious voice that can show great energy and enthusiasm. That’s what it brought to the table.”

“For whatever reason, whether Russo pitched it to Dixie or Dixie pitched it to Russo, to this day, I don’t really know, but they got on this kick. Dutch (Mantell) pulled me aside and he said, ‘I really want to know what you think.’ I said, ‘I think it’s insanity. I hate every bit of it. I think it’s wrong on every level and they are completely missing the point that yes, the TV product is the most important deal, but all of a sudden, Don is gonna be going to these live events, he’s a heel on TV, and he’s trying to sell merch?’”

“He was the rock star of the merchandise and the online sales department. Why fix something that wasn’t broken.”

Jeff Jarrett On Don West’s 2009 Heel Turn In TNA: “It Made Me Furious”

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
CalculatingLimitedAmbushbug-size_restricted.gif

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
That was so stupid lol, I enjoy the Russo stuff more than most because it’s so ridiculous, in like a so bad it’s good kinda way but this was just awful and not fun either

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I agree with Jeff Jarrett that turning Don West heel was stupid but I also have to admit to loving every second of how awkward it all was and just how much Don West threw himself into being the bad guy.
shyt was hilarious.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Mike Tonay and Don West is my favorite commentary team of all time.

The monotone/sportscaster style of Tonay combined with West’s high energy and enthusiasm made it great.

It would’ve been dope to see them call a Wrestlemania? West would probably pass out mid way through from all the screaming and yelling. :dead:

Hoss

Legalize us.
Daps
Reppin
The North
I thought it was great. Partly because I didn't see it coming at all, and had no idea he was even capable of it. He was a natural heel and a great talker, and he seemed to be enjoying it. Overnight he became one of the best things about TNA and a great contrast to Tenay.

As a babyface commentator, he wasn't anything special, even with his enthusiasm. Didn't really add anything to the show.

So Jarrett thinks an online merch sales dude / run-of-the-mill babyface commentator is more important than a breakthrough prominent heel? Okay.

Broad Street Bully

Sick & Tide Sixers/Phillies/Cowboys fan smh
Daps
Reppin
Philly. Fucc a Eagle. I mean dat.
I thought it was great. Partly because I didn't see it coming at all, and had no idea he was even capable of it. He was a natural heel and a great talker, and he seemed to be enjoying it. Overnight he became one of the best things about TNA and a great contrast to Tenay.

As a babyface commentator, he wasn't anything special, even with his enthusiasm. Didn't really add anything to the show.

So Jarrett thinks an online merch sales dude / run-of-the-mill babyface commentator is more important than a breakthrough prominent heel? Okay.
I’m sure Jarrett lying thru his fukking teeth and he signed off on it in real time. Just throwing Dixie and Russo under the bus now because he can. Jarrett one of the last mothafukkas, along with HulKKK Hoegan, I’mma ever believe at face value :mjlol:

Last edited: