Texas Youth Football Team to Continue Protesting Anthem Despite Death Threats

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

View photo

Texas Youth Football Team to Continue Protesting Anthem Despite Death Threats (ABC News)
The Beaumont Bulls, a youth football team in Beaumont, Texas, whose members are receiving death threats after following the lead of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in protesting the national anthem over America's treatment of "blacks and people of color," as Kaepernick explained to NFL Media, will continue their demonstration, according to the team's coach and the mother of one of the players.

April Parkerson, the mother of 11-year-old running back Jaelun Parkerson, confirmed to ABC News that players on the team have received threatening messages. She said the team's protest of the national anthem "will continue."

Rah Rah Barber, the team's coach, concurred with Parkerson, saying he never imagined the response to the team's actions would "get to this point." He said the threats have showed "how far behind we are as a society."

The attention surrounding the team's protest started last Saturday, when Barber, along with his coaching staff and team, kneeled and placed their hands on each other's shoulders in silence before the playing of the national anthem.

Parkerson described this summer as a "turning point" in her son's awareness of race and politics and said he first wanted to take action after videos of the police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were posted online.

"[Jaelun] asked me what we could do about it," Parkerson said. "So when news of Kaepernick's protest broke, a lightbulb went off. Then when Brandon Marshall joined in, he said, 'OK, we're going to do this.'"

Barber acknowledged Kaepernick as an influence as well and said he became motivated to read up on the history of the national anthem.

He added that one of his players approached him with a photo of the protests of the anthem and told him that the team wanted to join it.

"I said to the team, 'Do you know what this means?'" Barber said. "And they said that they did. So I went to their parents for their approval."

Speaking on behalf of her son, who was in school, Parkerson said that the purpose of the protest was not to insult the military or police but to show solidarity with other protesters and to help bring attention to issues of racial injustice.

She said the youth football league's board of directors gave permission for the team to stage the demonstration.

Still, permission and expressions of support from many people haven't stopped some from sending death threats to the team.

Parkerson sent ABC News screen shots of some of the threats, which have mostly been made on social media from people living outside Beaumont.

One Facebook user from Oklahoma called for Barber to be lynched.

"Hatred like that is everywhere," Parkerson said. "But there's also so much love."

Barber, who said he involves himself in youth football to keep kids off the streets, isn't fazed by the racist comments directed at him online.

"I ignore it," he said. "It's the kids I worry about. If they ever felt threatened, I would advise their parents to reach out to authorities."

ABC News contacted the Beaumont Police Department and the FBI to ask whether the threats against Bulls players and coaches are under investigation, but the calls were not immediately returned.

Parkerson, who is white and is married to a black man, said she and her son admire Kaepernick for what she described as the bravery he shows in taking a stand. She said her son, who is biracial like Kaepernick, felt inspired by him.

"Colin didn't have to take this subject on," she said. "But he decided to use the platform he had to speak up for people who have no voice."

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I literally dont see the logic behind this "protest". And why is everyone doing it suddenly since Kaepernick started doing it?

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
....this fukking guy.
:jbhmm: Please tell me how kneeling down while the Anthem is being played does anything of importance? Who's life has it changed?
:jbhmm:And why is everyone doing it suddenly when Kaepernick did it?

roadblocktdx

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm: Please tell me how kneeling down while the Anthem is being played does anything of importance? Who's life has it changed?
:jbhmm:And why is everyone doing it suddenly when Kaepernick did it?

Every action can't automatically "change a life," it's an act of defiance and unwillingness to salute to what they view as a flag that represents a nation of discrimination. The point is to keep the issues of POC in the zeitgeist and being discussed on the news, internet, etc so that collectively we can all agree at some point to fukking do something. At the end of the day it's better than doing nothing, and if anything they have that right, as Americans, to express themselves.

shhh-kull & bones

Judah have I loved, Esau have I hated! -GAWD
Daps
Reppin
BK, USA
Every action can't automatically "change a life," it's an act of defiance and unwillingness to salute to what they view as a flag that represents a nation of discrimination. The point is to keep the issues of POC in the zeitgeist and being discussed on the news, internet, etc so that collectively we can all agree at some point to fukking do something. At the end of the day it's better than doing nothing, and if anything they have that right, as Americans, to express themselves.

:mjpls:It's funny how these clueless simps choose to ignore how other groups protest and push their agendas while never missing an opportunity to shyt of 'black folk' for speaking out against oppression.

These vile cac fakkits out here are literally trying to choke North Carolina to death economically and also taking sporting events away but these simps have nothing to say about that. Kaepernik is the bad guy....:martin:

yeah right...these filthy fakkits are using bully tactics to push a vile,despicable and soulles life style that leads to death but these simps here wanna shyt on Kaepernik...man I swear on everything this world is getting to be a real putrid cesspool of wrecheted fukkery :scust:

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
I literally dont see the logic behind this "protest". And why is everyone doing it suddenly since Kaepernick started doing it?
It's called a movement. Kaep started a movement and the continued abuse, police killings of unarmed civilians and death threats from angry pink people who don't want their little program of white supremacy challenged or questioned at all is continuing to justify it every day. You don't have to see shyt but whether you get it or not, the protest will proceed.

Nomad1

Tupac KONY and GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It's called a movement. Kaep started a movement and the continued abuse, police killings of unarmed civilians and death threats from angry pink people who don't want their little program of white supremacy challenged or questioned at all is continuing to justify it every day. You don't have to see shyt but whether you get it or not, the protest will proceed.
a movement that achieves literally nothing