Tekken 8 | PS5/XBOX SERIES X|S/STEAM | Heihachi Returns this Autumn

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I mean still. you got to give me a smidge of credit my guy, not just anyone is picking up Shaheen and getting emperor offa they first tekken. I'm very very good at a variety of fighting games and even then i hit a brick wall so imagine actual newbies. and ya'll been playing this shyt for eons I don't think you realize just how difficult it is to try to get past serviceable even in this volatile version of tekken.

I would say go play a 2D fighter and get master or high rank etc for comparison to see how much of a diff skill set is needed but thats not really feasible since thats a time commitment just for science purposes.
Ehh...I don't think it's as difficult as you making it out to be. Or at least, 2d comparative speaking, I'm about the comparative levels of ranked for multiple characters in this at the same speed interval of SF6 in ranked. And same with SFV in ranked. And that's considering that in all 3 games, I don't even play ranked that often. What you're speaking on is just what I typically see 2d fighters impression of 3d fighters, in that the higher character count/bigger moveslist is a big part of the most daunting task of it. Being one that has played the multitude of both since their inceptions, ehhh...they've still been more or less the same as far as learning curves go and paths to mastery go.

As for your credit....

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Ehh...I don't think it's as difficult as you making it out to be. Or at least, 2d comparative speaking, I'm about the comparative levels of ranked for multiple characters in this at the same speed interval of SF6 in ranked. And same with SFV in ranked. And that's considering that in all 3 games, I don't even play ranked that often. What you're speaking on is just what I typically see 2d fighters impression of 3d fighters, in that the higher character count/bigger moveslist is a big part of the most daunting task of it. Being one that has played the multitude of both since their inceptions, ehhh...they've still been more or less the same as far as learning curves go and paths to mastery go.

As for your credit....

go get gold and continue climbing, its completely different. Or don't. who cares really. you don't play ranked that often so by ur own admission you not encountering these sweaty ass games :manny:

If you don't play ranked that often why even speak on...the ranked experience. not even tryna start a fight I'm just curious :mjlol:

anyway I uninstalled dis shyt for few months, I'mma go play some chill jrpgs or sum. ya'll have fun with this

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
go get gold and continue climbing, its completely different. Or don't. who cares really. you don't play ranked that often so by ur own admission you not encountering these sweaty ass games :manny:

If you don't play ranked that often why even speak on...the ranked experience. not even tryna start a fight I'm just curious :mjlol:

anyway I uninstalled dis shyt for few months, I'mma go play some chill jrpgs or sum. ya'll have fun with this
I've played Gold cats in lobbies. It feels about the same as playing Legends in SFVI. I can hang with some of them, some of them wipe the floor with me. Same difference is all I'm saying.

I ain't say I never play ranked at all, B. I just don't crash out for hours a day on a daily on it. I typically don't even have that kinda uninterrupted time for it and more importantly, the amount of time ranked matches take for me on average, I'd rather just play in a lobby.

For example. In 1 hour in ranked, I might get like 4-6 different players. And, 2-3 of them are going to rage quit off 1 match, win or lose. So that's maybe...what, 20-ish rounds of play maybe, with massive lull times in practice waiting for the next game. Compared to playing sets in a lobby, in 1 hour, I'm running like at least 2 FT10s. So I'm getting more than triple the play time with less lull time in between. More active play time is much more fun to me.

Last edited:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Couple of things about the lobby system in this game that I don't like tho is that you can't adjust settings once you're in it. Plus, IIRC in Tekken 7 (and all the previous online Tekkens), you had endless as an option, whereas here you can only do a max F10 set. That sucks. And no practice mode in the online lobby is just fukking stupid.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Couple of things about the lobby system in this game that I don't like tho is that you can't adjust settings once you're in it. Plus, IIRC in Tekken 7 (and all the previous online Tekkens), you had endless as an option, whereas here you can only do a max F10 set. That sucks. And no practice mode in the online lobby is just fukking stupid.

If you set the lobby to 2P gauntlet it'll let you rematch indefinitely but it won't track wins. Online practice mode is on the roadmap for later in the year too although Im not sure if they'll include it in the lobbies

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
If you set the lobby to 2P gauntlet it'll let you rematch indefinitely but it won't track wins. Online practice mode is on the roadmap for later in the year too although Im not sure if they'll include it in the lobbies
Oh word? I must've not seen that option. Alright, bet. That's going to be a mainstay now then. They still need practice mode in online lobbies tho.

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
I mean still. you got to give me a smidge of credit my guy, not just anyone is picking up Shaheen and getting emperor offa they first tekken. I'm very very good at a variety of fighting games and even then i hit a brick wall so imagine actual newbies. and ya'll been playing this shyt for eons I don't think you realize just how difficult it is to try to get past serviceable even in this volatile version of tekken.

I would say go play a 2D fighter and get master or high rank etc for comparison to see how much of a diff skill set is needed but thats not really feasible since thats a time commitment just for science purposes.
You'd be suprised.. I've actually seen quite a few young players come straight from SF or MK and do well in Tekken....there 1st Tekken.. started with T7 and the pay to win DLC characters. In T8 they've streamlined everything.. all the characters move sets plus gave you Akumas EX meter and changed the name to heat :mjlol: all the bullshyt easy to win scrub mechanics they brought from 7 to 8.. You have the best practice mode out of every Tekken plus the replay mode.. when you get demoted you can get a promotion your very next match(that's never existed before in Tekkenand im not sure if something like exists in other fighting game ranked modes).. im 40 with hypertension. Havent played 2d competitive since the MvC2 days..I couldn't just pick up a new 2d an rank up if I tried :heh: games move way too fast for me nowadays

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
Thats insane. I should really just call it quits cuz I'm never ever going to even be as good as you and you like I'm not top level :dead:

I'm dead ass not even having fun with this shyt any more it really feels like a chore to play against people who can delete you just as fast as you can now. I came up playing melee, anime games and umvc and yeah them games you explode too but its different with these new titles. I could play dudes in those games who were a tier above me and still have enjoyable games. I think tekken is just so many needless 30 fukking year knowledge checks. It doesn't add shyt except annoyance and cheese. shyt like jacks d 12 launcher. super punishable, but you have to go and specifically find the one or two moves out of your 100 fukking move kit that punishes it. Like in most fighters the better you are the more the movelist and shyt opens up, in this you want to condense as many options as possible. Its just a weird ass thing coming from the shyt I played in the past.

like you just get popped once and its a carnival after that sometimes. you can kind of maneuver around a lot of the fukkery in older titles. In this you are pretty much mandated to guess for game in way more situations than it should be. I have no idea how much you had to play to circumvent all the rampant fakkitry and cheese that permeates this title for you to be that consistent. I really think I hit my ceiling for the time being. It'll take another 200 hours for me to be consistently tekken god level with ONE character, whats the point:mjlol:

I just mean that I'm currently not able to compete with the best in terms of results because I'd have to quit my job and seek sponsorship to do so. But I could hang with anyone I think.

There are players in my scene today who started off terrible and are now becoming annoying for me to fight against. I think anyone can close the gap in T8 if they find some fun in incrementally learning new things every day and have productive sessions. I do get that the game feels bloated and learning mu's can become tedious. Especially if you never played another tekken semi-competitively, but even still I know some who are turning into strong players just takes time and we're in month 7 of a 5-6 year title.

I actually don't circumvent all the randomness in cheese in the game and I do have to guess a lot. But I think about how the opponent is actually putting me into these guessing situations and try to stop them from doing that - like playing very tight with jabs and df1, small pokes, that cannot be interrupted by a slower heat smash to stop an opponent from even putting me into a heavily - situations into guess for game (for example). And I also try to put them into more guessing, coinflip situations than they do to me. Lot of it is situational awareness. And once you start weeding the gimmicks out (duckable strings, punishing moves, breaking throws by watching correct hands) then you realize that most players layer 1 offense is awful.

Defense is hard to get in Tekken but its definitely worth the small victories in learning new things day by day, eventually you'll start to surpass the players who aren't giving that effort and only relying on their offense