Task, The sequel to Mare of Easttown, HBO 2025

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
My hypothesis:

Billy didn't kill Erin, John did.
Erin was trying to blackmail Billy and John that night for money for the baby's surgery because both of them slept with her at the family reunion; John got enraged and beat her up and then because Erin was threatening to go tell Lori everything and go to the cops, John put a bullet in her head to silence her forever.
Billy was super drunk though and doesn't remember everything that happened and has convinced himself that he must've killed her because he has her blood on his clothes.
John finding out that his dad saw Billy's bloody clothes has him ready to kill Billy and stage it like a suicide so that Billy won't remember everything and instead will take the fall for killing Erin and the case will be closed.
Doesn't John have an alibi? He provided one for Mare's ex husband doesn't that in turn provide one for him?
Show is enjoyable but I think they went one or two twists too far.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I mostly agree with the above, but
I don't think John slept with her. I think he's just trying to cover up his brother's mistakes, because he doesn't want a lifetime of ear surgery and child support to cut into his own inheritance.
I suspect Billy was actually willing to pay for the surgery...he bought her the necklace, right?

I agree with that.
Billy is bringing his own gun because he suspects what is coming

I agree with both but I’ll add...

I think Billy and John had a pact to protect each other but something went wrong. That’s why John said to him he has to hear him say he killed her when maybe he didn’t at all. I don’t think either is coming out of those woods alive.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I agree with both but I’ll add...

I think Billy and John had a pact to protect each other but something went wrong. That’s why John said to him he has to hear him say he killed her when maybe he didn’t at all. I don’t think either is coming out of those woods alive.
There's a shot of John back at the house with Lori in the episode 7 trailer, could be a swerve but it doesn't look like any scene they've already shown

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Don't know why I thought this past episode was the finale. Ending had never sunt like hell. shyt was all over the place the last 10-15 mins.

Daps
Billy ain’t kill Erin and he ain’t the father:unimpressed:

I agree that Billy didn’t kill her, but I do think he’s the father. They’ve done too much to establish they had an improper relationship. In addition to Billy buying the necklace (which I presume was the date their son was conceived), the photo they zoom in on when Mare is looking at Erin’s Facebook in the scene before Billy’s “confession” they show that Erin was wearing a family reunion sweatshirt whilst Billy had on a t-shirt in the background, yet the t-shirt was amongst Erin’s things given to the crackhead.

My hypothesis:

Billy didn't kill Erin, John did.
Erin was trying to blackmail Billy and John that night for money for the baby's surgery because both of them slept with her at the family reunion; John got enraged and beat her up and then because Erin was threatening to go tell Lori everything and go to the cops, John put a bullet in her head to silence her forever.
Billy was super drunk though and doesn't remember everything that happened and has convinced himself that he must've killed her because he has her blood on his clothes.
John finding out that his dad saw Billy's bloody clothes has him ready to kill Billy and stage it like a suicide so that Billy won't remember everything and instead will take the fall for killing Erin and the case will be closed.

I mostly agree with the above, but
I don't think John slept with her. I think he's just trying to cover up his brother's mistakes, because he doesn't want a lifetime of ear surgery and child support to cut into his own inheritance.
I suspect Billy was actually willing to pay for the surgery...he bought her the necklace, right?

Thanks.
I wonder if the timeline of the murder is not accurate? Is there enough time for the killer to get from the party to the park?

John showed up to the same bar that Mare met the writer at after the engagement party with Mare’s ex husband. No way he killed Erin. John was the ex husband’s alibi since he drove him home that night around 3 am I believe they say.

My theory is that Billy is the father and a secret confidant of Erin. After getting embarrassed at the hangout and the runin with the Deacon she called on Billy to console her. Dylan somehow (possibly Erin stopped by her best friend’s house first, and she alerted Dylan that she was meeting up with the father). Dylan went to confront her about not being the father and one thing led to another and Dylan killed her and fled. Billy cries holding her dead body but then realizes that has her blood all over him and so he panics, strips her and throws her naked body in the creek. He confesses to John that he killed her but not that he shot her. Billy blames himself for Erin getting killed cuz of their improper relationship and/or the confrontation with Dylan.

Now John must’ve known about Billy/Erin’s relationship cuz he tells Billy that Mare knows “what happened” at the cabin. Once he got a confession out of Billy, John intended on exacting some white trash justice by framing a “suicide” at the Lake and he told his wife cuz he knew she’d tell Mare which would make the suicide seem believable.

I still don’t know why the Dylan trio burned the journals. Can’t even type a guess that I don’t roll my eyes at. Whatever it is, I do think it’s majorly related and not just some random crimes Dylan committed; it’s directly tied to the piece of paper the friend kept that caused the chief to command they get Mare on the phone immediately. Maybe I’ll conjure up a theory on that later this week :pachaha:

Damn this show is dope:wow:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Screen%20Shot%202021-05-25%20at%209.30.41%20AM.png

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I think John is the killer and baby daddy and will be revealed as a manipulative sociopath that is trying to set up his brother to take the fall but is now going to try to kill him because he knows his brother can’t lie convincingly enough.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
My theory is that Billy is the father and a secret confidant of Erin. After getting embarrassed at the hangout and the runin with the Deacon she called on Billy to console her. Dylan somehow (possibly Erin stopped by her best friend’s house first, and she alerted Dylan that she was meeting up with the father). Dylan went to confront her about not being the father and one thing led to another and Dylan killed her and fled. Billy cries holding her dead body but then realizes that has her blood all over him and so he panics, strips her and throws her naked body in the creek. He confesses to John that he killed her but not that he shot her. Billy blames himself for Erin getting killed cuz of their improper relationship and/or the confrontation with Dylan.

Now John must’ve known about Billy/Erin’s relationship cuz he tells Billy that Mare knows “what happened” at the cabin. Once he got a confession out of Billy, John intended on exacting some white trash justice by framing a “suicide” at the Lake and he told his wife cuz he knew she’d tell Mare which would make the suicide seem believable.

I still don’t know why the Dylan trio burned the journals. Can’t even type a guess that I don’t roll my eyes at. Whatever it is, I do think it’s majorly related and not just some random crimes Dylan committed; it’s directly tied to the piece of paper the friend kept that caused the chief to command they get Mare on the phone immediately. Maybe I’ll conjure up a theory on that later this week :pachaha:

Damn this show is dope:wow:
Went back and started beating through the episodes again to see if I could catch anything new and for some reason i missed/forgot when the new GF went to Dylan's crib and told him she woke up that night and couldn't find him. It lines up with your theory but I just can't figure out a good reason for him to be pressed about the journals/picture that the Chief saw. The "small-town humiliation" of Erin breeding for her cousin then dropping the baby on him is the only angle I can come up with but even that feels shaky, the way he's moving it has to be bigger than that.

It really is a great show though, I have no idea who to zero in on between John, Billy, Dylan, or even Frank. I've also seen people take a wild swing and say Lori or her son did it :mjlol:

Daps
Went back and started beating through the episodes again to see if I could catch anything new and for some reason i missed/forgot when the new GF went to Dylan's crib and told him she woke up that night and couldn't find him. It lines up with your theory but I just can't figure out a good reason for him to be pressed about the journals/picture that the Chief saw. The "small-town humiliation" of Erin breeding for her cousin then dropping the baby on him is the only angle I can come up with but even that feels shaky, the way he's moving it has to be bigger than that.

It really is a great show though, I have no idea who to zero in on between John, Billy, Dylan, or even Frank. I've also seen people take a wild swing and say Lori or her son did it :mjlol:

Yea, I should amend my original post from John definitely didn’t do it to the only way John did it is if Frank was involved too (since they are each other’s alibi). Frank being involved would actually explain a writing hole that seems to be only bothering me: why did Frank lie to Mare about knowing Erin if all he did was buy her diapers out of pity? :mindblown:

Now, I could see John actually being the father and just manipulating Billy to taking the fall (since he doesn’t have a family or maybe he’s been manipulating lil bro Billy his whole life or maybe they both were fukking her). I think the jeweler’s receipt only noted that “Ross” bought the pendant; I’m not sure a first name was specified. Perhaps Erin popped up at John’s house that night as he and Frank were returning home. The son saw them outside and maybe Erin is really the “Sandra” John had an affair with, the first one resulting in Erin’s kid (this would only make sense if the son didn’t get a good look at her cuz obviously he knows his cousin; they were both at family reunion and Erin’s mom just died so they must’ve gotten together before that too). They go off into the woods whilst Dylan follows and they have the encounter. John then calls Billy to help them clean up the crime. This fits well with Billy’s flippant remark that he was tired of John making everyone clean up his fukkups as he was moving into their pops crib.

The page may identify John as the father (which the friend didn’t know until she read it). Still don’t know why Dylan was adamant about burning the journals, tho.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

I was stuck on Mare's ex-husband in the beginning even after John showed the drunk photo. Since you went back and rewatched when John does show Mare the photo of her ex being drunk the camera seemed to linger on the pic and Mare's reaction, It was weird did you catch that or am I buggin'? And if John has any idea of what happened and it involves himself or his brother why would he try and steer Mare away from her ex? Her pursuing him would help his family's cause. I agree his lie about not knowing her was dumb. AND it is also weird despite being proven not to be the Dad of Erin's baby his fiance is still pissed at him.
The Dylan storyline needs a real good explanation or it's like such a blatant misdirect it would bring the writing down a big notch. My guess it involves an unrelated crime Erin, Dylan, Erin's friend and the Black guy with very little dialogue were mixed up in. Could Dylan and them be running like a prostitution ring? Erin was hoing and I'm sure her friend was to. Maybe they were and John, Billy and Mare's ex were frequent customers and they are trying to cover up that fact.