TÁR | Official Thread | Starring Cate Blanchett (dir. by Todd Field)

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
MV5BM2I0ZDcyYzItMGEyNi00YWVhLTlmNTQtOWVlYjE1ZGVhNWM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Anyone else peeped this yet?

I liked it but still came out feeling underwhelmed for some reason. It’s interesting to see the director note that this movie would not be made without Cate Blanchett saying yes to the role. Biggest highlight of the film.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I left the theater thinking "I don't know whether Todd Field wants to satirize, mock, and critique the highbrow art world he's portraying or indulge himself in it." I'm not sure he knows either.

There are pretentious references a plenty. The German Idealists and Romantics are well represented. Just off memory, Lydia quotes Freud ("narcissism of small differences..."), and discusses "sublimation" -- a concept made famous by Freud. Her mentor quotes Schopenhauer (sensitivity to noise). And a number of references are made to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, and of course Mahler. Then there are the casual references to various highbrow institutions such as Smith College, Eastman, and Curtis. She pours her water from a frosted over decanter and lives in a brutalist West German apartment.

Todd Field is maybe a bit too clever for his own good. In one scene Lydia admonishes a self-described "bipoc" student for dismissing Bach's music, but during a later conversation dismisses Schopenhauer for having pushed his wife down the stairs. She makes mention of art intended for "cretins" then ends up conducting a "lowbrow" cretinous video game soundtrack. She goes from waxing philosophic about the function of great art and music to sort of debasing herself to make a living. I guess it's a play on the current state of art but `there is a lot of sleight of hand, hypocrisy, and cosmic irony going on.

Kind of bored me after awhile and the whole #MeToo angle didn't really do anything for me.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
There is some interesting stuff about time, rhythm, and sound. Most notably the function of time and meter in art, and Schopenhauer's quote about genius and sensitivity to noise. Tar's is constantly interrupted by noise which (to me a clear commentary on #MeToo) causes an erosion in her genius.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just watched this not too long ago.
I really didn't like the movie, but I'm sitting here thinking about the themes and ideas the movie wanted to convey

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
I enjoyed it. Thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Her big body assistant had such a cute, feminine voice. You're not meant to understand every term or thing thats discussed because as the story reveals (no spoilers), its framing for the character of Tar.

That being said I enjoyed seeing a part of the music world thats rarely dramatized or given a spotlight. Plus Cate Blanchett truly bodies the role. Just masterful acting and she doesn't let up the entire movie. And the sound design is powerfully done as is needed with the setting.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I enjoyed it. Thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Her big body assistant had such a cute, feminine voice. You're not meant to understand every term or thing thats discussed because as the story reveals (no spoilers), its framing for the character of Tar.

That being said I enjoyed seeing a part of the music world thats rarely dramatized or given a spotlight. Plus Cate Blanchett truly bodies the role. Just masterful acting and she doesn't let up the entire movie. And the sound design is powerfully done as is needed with the setting.
I didn't like movie, but her acting was top notch.
I great performance in a mediocre movie

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Watched this and man, you can see what the film wanted to communicate and it's cool to see a movie tackling the whole "how you separate the artist from the person" in this setting. But after the 90 minute mark it really stumbles its way towards the ending.

Once things start unfolding for Tar it's much more of a mess of time jumps and scenes that do enough to tell you what is going on and what happened in between but it loses the emotional connection the film sets up in the first hour and a half.

It also felt way too long as that last hour just doesn't quite deliver like it should.

Cate Blanchet was fukking amazing though, no wonder she's the favorite to win the Oscar.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I just watched this not too long ago.
I really didn't like the movie, but I'm sitting here thinking about the themes and ideas the movie wanted to convey

Watched this and man, you can see what the film wanted to communicate and it's cool to see a movie tackling the whole "how you separate the artist from the person" in this setting. But after the 90 minute mark it really stumbles its way towards the ending.

Once things start unfolding for Tar it's much more of a mess of time jumps and scenes that do enough to tell you what is going on and what happened in between but it loses the emotional connection the film sets up in the first hour and a half.

It also felt way too long as that last hour just doesn't quite deliver like it should.

Cate Blanchet was fukking amazing though, no wonder she's the favorite to win the Oscar.

I did not enjoy this movie for the reasons you guys identified, but it did make me think or rather reflect on some of the larger themes it was trying to convey.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Liked the aesthetics and visuals, the modern homes and the contemporary feel of it all. The scenes in Vietnam, on the river. Gorgeously shot. But, it didn't move me at all, and wasn't stylish enough to move me on that front either. It was like window dressing for a better movie. The best sequence was with the dog that sort of moved into horror movie gothic "Suspiria" territory. The rest was pretty flat, despite lots of references to "elitist values and institutions"

i don't mind style over substance, but the movie didn't hit either hard enough, or at all, in some instances. And at 147 minutes or whatever, it was kind of a chore to finish.

Read a longer piece in Mother Jones of all places, that tore the movie apart, similar to posts in here, mostly agree with all of it.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
They filmed some of the scenes in the elbphilharmonic. I’ve played there before. Right around the time they reopened it