Take-Two CEO says it doesn’t make economic sense for the company’s games to be available on subscription services on the day of their release

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

"We've supported various subscription services and we're happy to do so," Zelnick said. "Our scepticism has been around making frontline console products available day and date with subscription.

"That doesn't make any sense to us because, economically speaking, we don't think consumers are prepared to pay for that – why would they? – and we can't afford to turn our business upside down in a way that doesn't make sense economically.

"So there always has to be an intersection between what the consumer wants and what the publisher is able to do, and it doesn't make sense to do that for frontline properties in our opinion. I think Sony minimally agrees with us, because they've said so.

"It can be potentially great for catalogue properties – those are properties that have been in the market for a while. If their price has been reduced it can make economic sense to offer those on a subscription basis."

Makes sense.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I mean I agree with him, economically for a AAA game that was made for millions of dollars they wanna recoup that money... :francis:

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
Companies that make the biggest and best games don't seem to think giving away games is economically feasible. Who would of thought 🤔.

But broke boys going to beg and beg for day and date and then complain when all games are F2P gatcha games. Already ruined music. And movies might be next if they push for streaming day 1. Just glad I'm on the older side and not gaming after the PS5 generation. Good luck to you new brehs :salute:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Companies that make the biggest and best games don't seem to think giving away games is economically feasible. Who would of thought 🤔.

But broke boys going to beg and beg for day and date and then complain when all games are F2P gatcha games. Already ruined music. And movies might be next if they push for streaming day 1. Just glad I'm on the older side and not gaming after the PS5 generation. Good luck to you new brehs :salute:

Don’t leave us here, with them. :sadcam:

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
GTA V still sells at least a million copies a year. Why would they change things?

Edit: Didn't one of the definitive editions drop on Gamepass.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Edit: Didn't one of the definitive editions drop on Gamepass.

“It can be potentially great for catalogue properties – those are properties that have been in the market for a while. If their price has been reduced it can make economic sense to offer those on a subscription basis."

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
My only response to this is, we'll see. When a bunch of titles start dropping on Gamepass, lets see how successful it is, because if it is, all of a sudden you'll have this guy falling all over his self in a year or two.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My only response to this is, we'll see. When a bunch of titles start dropping on Gamepass, lets see how successful it is, because if it is, all of a sudden you'll have this guy falling all over his self in a year or two.

I think it will be the exact opposite. I think microsoft are gonna soon find out now that they have these big studios that dropping these games onto a service day 1 won’t be as fruitful as when they were just planning on dropping halo and forza on it as originally intended