Subscription services reportedly account for 4% of North American and European game market

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Thought this was pretty interesting:

Gaming subscriptions account for 4% of total revenue generated by the North American and European game markets, it has been claimed.

Ampere Analysis research director Piers Harding-Rolls believes subscription services like Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Plus and Nintendo Switch Online generate $3.7 billion annually.

That compares to almost $81 billion generated from other spending on games, Axios reports.

Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service, which charges up to $15 / £11 monthly and has attracted 25 million members since launching in June 2017, commands about a 60% share of the subscription market, according to Harding-Rolls.

While the subscription market is clearly not insignificant and is growing, it appears there may be a misconception among some people about the current scale of it.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer said this month that he’s frequently asked by developers whether their titles have to be on Game Pass to stand a chance of being successful on the company’s consoles.

“I also want to make clear to people that are out there that for us at Xbox, there’s not one business model that we think is going to win,” he said. “I often get asked by developers, ‘if I’m not in the subscription am I just not viable on Xbox anymore?’ and it’s absolutely not true.

“Like we look at retail of people selling games, buying games, it’s an important part of our P&L [profit and loss statement], you know that. And it’s something that we invest resources in to enable our developers to do great work there.”

On Tuesday, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced its expanded PlayStation Plus service, which includes a library of legacy and classic games, among other features.

In a GamesIndustry.biz interview accompanying the announcement, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said he doesn’t think gaming subscription models will ever dominate like Spotify and Netflix do in music and film.

Subscription services reportedly account for 4% of North American and European game markets | VGC

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Only 4% of revenue but Sony stans will tell you Sony can't afford day and date on their service.

I'll let you know if you should buy MLB The Show this year. :therethere:

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
I swear xbox stans really went full retard since sunday

There's no need for that kind of language, man. Console wars are suppose to be fun and lighthearted, lively and spirited even, but they shouldn't devolve into slurs.

I don't always agree with everything you say about xbox but I enjoy your contributions in keeping this forum active.

Tonight I'm shocked hurt and so disappointed. smh.

:francis:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I don't see a point in paying for any of these services to be honest :yeshrug:
I will say gamepass seems the most bang for your buck but this is coming from a person who didn't have an xbox one so I missed all the games they had for the past 7 years
and also now I feel like I don't need to buy series x.