Study: Cell Phone Convos More Annoying Than Face-To-Face Convos

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
If you have just read the same paragraph 12 times because the person sitting next to you on the bus is chatting on her cellphone, feel free to show her this: scientists have found another piece of evidence that overheard cellphone conversations are far more distracting and annoying than a dialogue between two people nearby.

In a study published Wednesday in the journal PLoS One, college students who were asked to complete anagrams while a nearby researcher talked on her cellphone were more irritated and distracted — and far more likely to remember the contents of the conversation — than students who worked on the same puzzles while the same conversation was conducted by two people in the room.

The study is the latest in a growing body of research on why cellphones rank so high on the list of modern irritants. Mounting evidence suggests that the habits encouraged by mobile technology — namely, talking in public to someone who is not there — are tailor made for hijacking the cognitive functions of bystanders.

I would agree with this.....nothing worse than some loud-mouthed fool on the train holding a conversation that they SHOULD be embarrassed about, but instead which they proudly share with the rest of the train. :stopitslime:

Here's another question, though....how many of y'all, if you either lost or forgot your cell phone somewhere, could remember even HALF the phone numbers of your peoples in there? Like, how many numbers you got committed to memory by heart, and how many would you just be screwed if you had to try to remember? :pachaha:

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Here's something interesting, though:

Because it is next to impossible to tune out a nearby cellphone conversation, people subjected to them often believe — incorrectly — that the talker is being abnormally loud, according to findings from a 2004 study from the University of York, England. Sixty-four commuters were exposed to the same conversation at different volume levels, half as a cellphone call and half as a face-to-face talk. On average, the commuters thought the mobile phone talkers were louder, even when they were not.

“When you stare at a light, it seems brighter,” said Dr. Emberson. “And when you can’t not pay attention to a noise, it seems louder.”

:ehh:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
as a regular rider of public transportation, having headphones is a must. whenever that kinda nonsense is going in, I can easily zone out by putting my earbuds in.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
as a regular rider of public transportation, having headphones is a must. whenever that kinda nonsense is going in, I can easily zone out by putting my earbuds in.

Yo, I ain't never ridden the Chicago train....do y'all have a "Last Car is the Quiet Car" policy like they do here in Jersey?

Hell, mebbe that's EVERYWHERE and I'm just slow....

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Women hate me for this but i do NOT talk on the phone.

You wanna talk? Text me? If you cant do that then let's meet somewhere and talk. i'd rather drive 30 miles to have a 20 minute conversation than be on the phone with you for 20 minutes