Starting an ESports team at my school.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Im thinking about going to my principal and pitch to him the idea of having a ESports team for our school. As far as I know, there are no schools on our side of town with one..

Im not a huge gamer, but I saw some kid just won millions playing Fortnight, and thats all these kids talk about at school. Are XB1 and PS4 big in the ESports world, or is PC the way to go?

Of course they'll have to earn their way on the team, ill make them do projects and research different topics on games and electronics, and they'll have to have certain behavioral and academic requirements to join. Ill tell parents it'll be a way to keep them off the streets after school, and how there are colleges now offering scholarships for gamers, and how this could have the kids get interested in becoming game developers, which needs more black people in that field.

ETA-I work at an elementary school, and this will be for 4th and 5th graders.
Which games should I focus on, and which system will be the best? I thought about buying a PS4 and a XB1, but I was going through some eteams twitter and IG pages, and saw a lot of them were PC guys, and I dont know a damn thing about PC gaming.

Rembrandt

the artist
Daps
Reppin
Villa Diodati
At that grade level, fortnite. It's really the only thing they have a legit shot at. Maybe a team for fighting games but I feel like the skill level in those are too high for most people, couldn't imagine 11 year olds.

Consoles are big, though a lot of competitors have PCs because it also ties into twitch and shyt like that. I honestly don't know competition rules but I doubt they do PC only for fortnite.

If you have a PS4, maybe try dreams as a way to get them into game development also. That will have a learning curve but could pay off heavily if the class/team can complete something playable; the devs are even hiring teams specifically for that. It's a lot more in depth than something like Minecraft though so you'll have to dedicate time too in that front.

A simple fighting game that runs constant tournaments is brawhalla. It's a fun, simple smash clone that's F2P on all consoles and has cross play. You can 4 people on one console or spread across XB1, PS4, PC. It avoids input commands and all the complicated shyt that something like Street fighter has.

There's also smash Bros but I think the skill ceiling on that is pretty high, too, with tier lists, a sizeable metagame, etc, but there may be potential there.

Good luck. It's a solid idea!

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
4th and 5th graders...
:francis:

your school isn’t gonna allow anything besides Smash Bros. Ultimate

Fortnite is ESRB rated T

:yeshrug:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Im thinking about going to my principal and pitch to him the idea of having a ESports team for our school. As far as I know, there are no schools on our side of town with one..

Im not a huge gamer, but I saw some kid just won millions playing Fortnight, and thats all these kids talk about at school. Are XB1 and PS4 big in the ESports world, or is PC the way to go?

Of course they'll have to earn their way on the team, ill make them do projects and research different topics on games and electronics, and they'll have to have certain behavioral and academic requirements to join. Ill tell parents it'll be a way to keep them off the streets after school, and how there are colleges now offering scholarships for gamers, and how this could have the kids get interested in becoming game developers, which needs more black people in that field.

ETA-I work at an elementary school, and this will be for 4th and 5th graders.
Which games should I focus on, and which system will be the best? I thought about buying a PS4 and a XB1, but I was going through some eteams twitter and IG pages, and saw a lot of them were PC guys, and I dont know a damn thing about PC gaming.

Fortnite is going to be a tough sell because of the depiction of gun violence. But if you can do it do it.

Start with a free game like League of Legends if you can. Also, see how strong the PCs are at the school already. For a game like League they don't need to be very strong. Anything else you'll need to think about new PCs.

Unless you are playing fighting games, you need to go PC. Its going to be significantly easier to get certain games, start up LANs and host events. In terms of scholarships, almost all of them are for League of Legends, Overwatch, and only SOME for Fortnite.

Take a look at some college esports programs like University of California - Irvine and Northeastern University.

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
“No one in class did their homework?:mjtf:” We were up playing the game practicing :mjgrin:

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
wait so 9 and 10 years old? I don't know if you'll get anywhere with a team that young. Unless you'll be consistently building their tolerance for all that muscle memory and hand eye coordination from that age. but hey check it out, literally any game has an e league now. even Pokemon.

Playing video games is at an all time high. good luck, OP. Just don't you dare play video games with them kids after school or your ass will be unemployed.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I imagine the first thing the principal will say is who is going to pay for this?

PCs should be the platform because like other people said League of Legends, Overwatch, and Hearthstone are the main games for Universities. The system requirements for Fortnite are pretty low to be honest.

If I was in your position I would get in contact with those Unis and ask them how you could start them in middle school. Also ask if they know other middle schools that are doing the same thing. It'll add precident to your case if you can join a league with other middle schools.