Stalling at the overhead press

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm very weak at this. On StrongLifts I reached 110 and had to deload. Built back up to 110 and can’t progress any further. Is this supposed to be this difficult? It’s the only exercise I’ve been stalling on. I deloaded my squat at 305 and building back up I feel stronger at it but the overhead press nah.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
What other accessory work do you do relative to upper back and shoulders

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What other accessory work do you do relative to upper back and shoulders
I'm only doing stronglifts 3 days a week. I'm thinking of switching to either the push press or going down to 3×5 for the op so I can keep the progression going.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm very weak at this. On StrongLifts I reached 110 and had to deload. Built back up to 110 and can’t progress any further. Is this supposed to be this difficult? It’s the only exercise I’ve been stalling on. I deloaded my squat at 305 and building back up I feel stronger at it but the overhead press nah.
What are your set/rep numbers?
You are talking about 110 lbs. one-rep max?
If you stall out on any exercise, you need to mix up your rep/weight numbers. So if you are doing low reps/high weight in attempts to get heavier lifts, you need to mix in medium rep/medium weight workouts and high rep/low weight workouts. It may not seem productive to be doing 65 to 85 lbs. lifts for 10 to 12 reps in a set, but you need to shock your muscles.
So, commit your next workout to doing overhead press where all your sets, do not exceed 75 lbs. Do increase rep counts in each set so the final reps are difficult.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If you're doing stronglifts and squatting 305 you should be doing better than 110 standing press at this point (IMO since you should have strong enough legs for a good base). Plus, deloading on squat with this program isn't going to help with subsequent exercises unless it's a big deload from squats.

Standing press is the hardest IMO lift since you have to have a great base/stability for the lift. How your technique and overall body "tightness"? Are you expending a lot of energy on the initial lift-off and positioning? Might be better off deloading on press and working on having a good base/stability for the lift if that's your issue.

Ron_Mexico

All Star
Daps
Gotta make sure your core is tight and strong for ohps otherwise you’re leaking power. They are hard to increase weight for sure. Few tips. Pick a legit 1 rep max. Then do your sets off percentages. Start with 70%-85%.

What I did before is 3x5 at 70%. On your 4th set do a amrap (as many reps as possible). If you hit +8 increase to 75%. And do it all over again til you reach 85%. Then test your 1 rep max. I’m currently at 185 for a single and looking st 205 by the end of the year. Do it for 12 weeks then deload.

You might wanna try doing seated dumbbells too for higher reps. Never went higher then 70lbs for 10 reps.

semtex

:)
Daps
Squeeze the bar and press through the heels of your hand. I’m doing my sets with 185lbs currently (no rack)

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps

That's because your base and Core is weak, start doing more core work, more weighted sit ups and on your light week for strong 5x5 when you deadlift, after the light reps go heavy. The deadlifts work your core, legs and back. Your base is not strong. And throw in some standing dumbbell over head press also, do some pause squats to strengthen your hamstrings for explosion and strengthen your core.

Trust me, I used to power lift and trained at a power lifting gym and learned from Professionals, when you start learning about the secondary and 3rd body part that comes in play and you strengthen them, your lifts will go up and you will become stronger

Last edited:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Incorporating oly grip front squats into my routines made OH Press progression much more consistent. Oly lifts generally force correct any postural weakness to allow cleaner movements.

I've squatted 400s and DL'd 500s years ago and would still routinely stall out on OH Press. Leg/core strength only took me so far. I squat/DL much less now and OH press more. :ehh: