Spin: What does the FUTURE of TV look like 2023 and Beyond?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
-We've been discussing how Warner/Discovery should (and mostly should not) approach their merger and by most accounts whatever they do plan on doing is not going to go smoothly..

-Then you have Netflix who we thought was teflon but they reached an untimely ceiling and are losing subscribers. The stock has plummeted and they are scaling back.

-Disney's growth has slowed as well on the stream front (also the stock is terrible now too). They have a plan for Marvel but Star Wars is very much in the air as is Pixar. Both are hurting.

-Amazon spent $500M on Lord of the Rings but nobody seems to care.

-Apple spends billions and yet nobody cares.

-On the flip side to that, cable providers are also losing paying subscribers more than ever.

Where is all of this headed?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Do not sleep on Apple TV. They’ve been valuing quality over quantity with their content lately. I honestly think they have a brighter future over some of these other streaming services.

Hit big with Coda at the Oscars. Severance, For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, Black Bird - all have been fantastic so far.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
att&t's share of Warner discovery gets bought by someone either apple or Comcast
apple tv is here to stay it's like Sony pictures they're building from the ground up
Disney stays the same for the most part they reached the subscriber goal they made for themselves in 1 year partly due to covid so of course there's a slow down. also the entire market has been down lately. I'm not too worried about them unless Chapek does something crazy like fire Kevin Fiege.
Amazon buys lions gate and they may try to buy Viacom(unlikely)
the smaller cable providers will die out unless you're in internet dead zones because Hulu Directtv, fubo, sling, and YouTubetv will handle that.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Personally.. i can't see people paying for cable much longer. Most people are out or wanting to get out. Only sports programming propping them up now and that bubble gonna burst eventually.. the way you see MLS selling the content to Apple is what i can see happening with other leagues.

if Amazon does make a run at the NFL they are probably the one entity that can afford to do it. But Universal and FOX/CBS are not gonna go quietly. NBA could end up on Apple eventually.

We are going to see more mergers most likely.

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
eventually all streaming platforms will have cheap/free(heavy ads) subs.

sports leagues will also have there own streaming (within decade)

cable tv will always be available but hopefully be much less (since less subs)

internet will climb to a premium (speed/realiability = higher cost)

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Do not sleep on Apple TV. They’ve been valuing quality over quantity with their content lately. I honestly think they have a brighter future over some of these other streaming services.

Hit big with Coda at the Oscars. Severance, For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, Black Bird - all have been fantastic so far.

They've made waves in the "bougie white people market" but that's not enough to have a popular service. They thought all the people who buy Apple phones would want to watch Apple TV but that hasn't happened yet.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I used to think Roku would be the great equalizer but I'm not so sure now

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
netflix continues to decline, once stranger things is finished netflix is looking at a massive drop off of users which are gonna force them to announce a spinoff

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

:banderas::banderas::banderas:

netflix continues to decline, once stranger things is finished netflix is looking at a massive drop off of users which are gonna force them to announce a spinoff

I don't understand (nor follow) most of the industry side but seems to me that Netflix thought that the Covid situation was gonna last forever and their numbers weren't inflated by an abnormal situation. They were just the easiest go-to streaming service in a period where the entire world was shut down, of course things would get back to normal sooner or later. Also iirc that's the period where they struck gold twice with The Last Dance and Squid Game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:banderas::banderas::banderas:

I don't understand (nor follow) most of the industry side but seems to me that Netflix thought that the Covid situation was gonna last forever and their numbers weren't inflated by an abnormal situation. They were just the easiest go-to streaming service in a period where the entire world was shut down, of course things would get back to normal sooner or later. Also iirc that's the period where they struck gold twice with The Last Dance and Squid Game.

Yeah every tech & media company is getting hit hard post-covid lockdown and with the looming recession. Those user numbers are gonna plummet

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Yeah every tech & media company is getting hit hard post-covid lockdown and with the looming recession. Those user numbers are gonna plummet

Facts, it only makes sense that once things opened up again people would be going out more and whatnot and spending relatively less time streaming, and on top of that sports are back taking a significant share of time for a lot of people. It was basically an unexpected -but benefic- "Covid bubble" for those companies, but they should've anticipated numbers going back down.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Facts, it only makes sense that once things opened up again people would be going out more and whatnot and spending relatively less time streaming, and on top of that sports are back taking a significant share of time for a lot of people. It was basically an unexpected -but benefic- "Covid bubble" for those companies, but they should've anticipated numbers going back down.

I think a lot of companies thought it would settle to around a mid-way point in the bump. Like they were all projecting they would retain some of the covid users and it just hasn’t happened, damn near 100% drop off.

They thought “people will subscribe, and realize they really like the service, can’t live without it, or simply forget to unsubscribe” and nope.