Speak on it ladies...

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
So there's been an influx of threads about surgical deaths recently. From breast enhancements, tummy tucks, to butt lifts.

Let's discuss why women are going under in droves?

Is it really because of the gram? :jbhmm:

Is it for male attention? :jbhmm:

Is it to make other women jelly? :jbhmm:

Is it for self? :jbhmm:

I know we don't know each individuals personal situation. We can only assume. But what can be done going forward as far as young girls feeling confident about who they are? I know there's millions of programs out there that cater to girls self esteem already but it's kinda really ridiculous. Let's discuss.

Full disclosure: this thread isn't made to offend women who have already went under the knife or to crucify them for their decision. I would like participates to give serious feedback and mature commentary.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
So there's been an influx of threads about surgical deaths recently. From breast enhancements, tummy tucks, to butt lifts.

Let's discuss why women are going under in droves?

Is it really because of the gram? :jbhmm:

Is it for male attention? :jbhmm:

Is it to make other women jelly? :jbhmm:

Is it for self? :jbhmm:

I know we don't know each individuals personal situation. We can only assume. But what can be done going forward as far as young girls feeling confident about who they are? I know there's millions of programs out there that cater to girls self esteem already but it's kinda really ridiculous. Let's discuss.

Full disclosure: this thread isn't made to offend women who have already went under the knife or to crucify them for their decision. I would like participates to give serious feedback and mature commentary.

It could be a few elements.

I can only speak for me and every woman on here can speak for themselves.

For me, I wanted male attention and I had self esteem issues. At this time, I was in a relationship that wasn't healthy at all. Because I didn't know myself, I wanted to be like the IG models and look like your Toya Wrights and characters from LHHATL. The guy I was with didn't make it any better so I went looking for cosmetic sugery for my breast and ass.

Keep in mind, I have a nice shape but Due to low self esteem and the guy I was with, I wasn't good enough.

I won't go into major detail BUT I will say soon as I left that relationship and got therapy ( it took two years) something clicked recently. Idk how but I did.

It's a new day and I love myself.

The only thing I suggest for young women or women in general is to love yourself, surround yourself with people who love you and women who are tangible and can make a difference in your life.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

The5thLetter

Meow
Supporter
Daps
@m0rninggl0ry glad you're out of that relationship and are happier!
as for the OP, it can be any # of those things, but I'd say it's more than likely for male attn and/or for self. I'm pro doing w/e u want to make yourself happy as long as it's safe. Yea you can tell a woman she should love herself the way she is or workout w/e but if she lost a lot of weight or had some kids and the skin/breasts/butt don't look like they once did, that cliche "love yourself" or "just workout" won't help restore her confidence and have her looking the way she wants in clothes/bathing suits etc.

I believe in the harm reduction model. Cosmetic surgery has been around a long time, and even with the increase in representation of various body types in the media and the body positivity movement women still seek out enhancements. So while having more resources to boost self-esteem is needed and is helpful, I believe education on the risks of surgery and how to be safe if that's the route that's chosen is equally important (hence the harm reduction model - people will do what they want regardless, might as well ensure safety where u can).

Many of the more recent stories of deaths centered around a lack of education and research. Going to non-board certified Drs, Drs that have had complications in the past, going out the country or back-alley "drs" for cheap work, getting more work done than is medically safe, traveling back prior to proper recovery and many other things that have led to the death of women as of late could have been prevented with proper education.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I think simply and fundamentally people look for feel good emotions and avoid bad ones.

When it comes to looks there is a certain "standard" of beauty that people find acceptable on a personal level.

Key motivator to change themselves would be how much lower they perceive their bodies to be than this standard.

What their standard is and where they get it from are interesting questions.

But If I had to hypothesise I'd say, frequency of information that confirms negative perception/contradicts positive perception would be key determining factors of whether someone went under the knife (controlling for cost and access). How long it takes to break them down also depends on their incoming self image score.

Basically if you told someone / someone told themselves everyday that their elbows looked weird and saggy and they heard it from multiple people and there was ready access to media that showed tight skin elbows, how long until that person starts wearing long sleeved shirts, how long until they get elbow surgery?

I think opposite sex and attention are symptoms of a much more personal struggle.

DarrynCobretti

Fresh out the bed, count up the dead
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All this drip on me
Too many women like to brush off or pretend like attention from the opposite sex isn't an element that is usually involved when women get cosmetic surgery.

Nonetheless I do agree self-improvement is probably the biggest overall factor. Which still stems from a deepset insecurity, because self-improvement in general involves correcting or strengthening a weakness that you're not totally secure with.

I think if men and some women stop worshiping superficial celebrities and IG thots with unnatural shapes then young girls wouldn't feel as pressured to 'improve' what they've been conditioned to perceive as weaknesses and obsess over living up to fake/unrealistic body standards to fit in.

Anyway regardless of why people get cosmetic surgery, I believe self-esteem and confidence is paramount for mental health so ultimately I'm for improving yourself if it makes you happy.

Shout out to the coli brehettes who kept it 100 in here and gave insightful posts. You guys made me see things from a perspective I normally don't take into account:salute:

Fun Sized Psycho

Floating on tooth shaped clouds
Supporter
Daps
For butt enhancements I really think it's an IG thing/for men. Bigger asses look sexier than flat asses. However, imo a lot of the fake asses I see are too big and don't really look proportional. (i.e. The Kardashians, Nikki Minaj. However Skye from black ink got hers done and it looks nice)

With breast implants and tummy tucks, I think it can be more of a personal thing, something women are doing for themselves. I personally want to get implants and one day I will. It's not for a man, it's for me. I want my breasts to look better. I also want them to be bigger.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
It could be a few elements.

I can only speak for me and every woman on here can speak for themselves.

For me, I wanted male attention and I had self esteem issues. At this time, I was in a relationship that wasn't healthy at all. Because I didn't know myself, I wanted to be like the IG models and look like your Toya Wrights and characters from LHHATL. The guy I was with didn't make it any better so I went looking for cosmetic sugery for my breast and ass.

Keep in mind, I have a nice shape but Due to low self esteem and the guy I was with, I wasn't good enough.

I won't go into major detail BUT I will say soon as I left that relationship and got therapy ( it took two years) something clicked recently. Idk how but I did.

It's a new day and I love myself.

The only thing I suggest for young women or women in general is to love yourself, surround yourself with people who love you and women who are tangible and can make a difference in your life.

Hope it helps
So you didn't get anything done?

Princess Coco

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Honestly I want it for all the reason you listed. Constantly being treated like im not good or pretty enough has made my self esteem dangerously low.

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
Honestly I want it for all the reason you listed. Constantly being treated like im not good or pretty enough has made my self esteem dangerously low.
Ask yourself these questions:

Why do you feel the way you do?
Do you want to be loved?
Accepted?

Once you answer those honestly...

Why do you wanna be loved?
Why do you wanna be accepted?

You will start getting to the root.
What do you hate about yourself?
What do you love about yourself?
Why do you hate these things?
Why do you love these things?

Is it childhood issues?
Did you parents build your esteem as a child?
Really dig deep why you feel the way you do.
The answers are there.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
It is a combination of all those things IMO. Society, attention from men, self esteem etc... However I don't think it has to do with making other women jealous, at least not surgery. Yes there are women or people in general who do things to make other people jealous but I don't see that as a reason alone someone would get surgery.

There has always been pressure on women to look a certain way. Always features that are always hot at the time in society as a whole and also in whatever community you are in. There are also things that kept droves of women from doing things augmenting themselves to meet those standards. For a long time it was more taboo much like fake hair(meaning not discussed out in the open like it is now). Now it is more common and accepted to have had work done. Its everywhere. So much so, that it's easier to believe someone who has the money had work done than to believe they are natural. The more something seems normal the more likely it to occur.

It is also pushed on women that worth is tied to being desired by men. the past few decades we have moved more from that it's still there being fed to young girls. TV, music, movies, and even at home depending on the environment. I also think most humans want to be accepted by their peers included attraction from who they desire.

Not every women is influenced by any of that and even if they were some would never go the surgery route. For whatever reason myself personally even with my insecurities and self esteem issues until recently never wanted to present anything that wasn't naturally me. Part of that was my environment but part of it was something else.

Self esteem programs do help but depending on their home life and the type of person they are, it may be too late or it wouldn't matter regardless. Also you have to realize for every girl who gets the chance to go to a program like that, there could be hundreds who don't. Not everyone gets a chance sad but true.