Sonys XDev studio expanding to Japan/Asia

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
rise-of-the-ronin-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Sony XDEV, originally, was the Liverpool-based first-party business unit responsible for overseeing first-party projects developed by external European studios. Examples in the past have included games like Quantic Dream’s Detroit: Become Human and Sumo Digital’s Sackboy: A Big Adventure. However, we noticed last year that the team was hiring for positions in Japan, and that it was now described as a “global” operation.

And we may be seeing evidence of its new remit with the announcement of Team Ninja’s Rise of the Ronin, which is being published by Sony and is being overseen by XDEV. “Privileged to work on an exciting title as Rise of the Ronin with Yasuda-san of Team Ninja Studio, [producer] Masaaki Yamagiwa, and our Sony XDEV JP team,” wrote veteran Jason Stewart on Twitter

This is the tip of the iceberg. XDEV is working with multiple AAA Japanese and Asian studios on new games. I would assume Fromsoft is probably next

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Have a “support studio” brehs :mjlol:
XDev Europe serves as the primary collaborator for various first- and third-party studios who partner to develop exclusive titles for PlayStation consoles. As part of its services, XDev offers full production, management, funding and game design support for their partners' projects, as well as community support, online support and publishing.

Notable collaborators of XDev include Housemarque, Sumo Digital, Lucid Games and Supermassive Games, and they also collaborated with past partners such as Quantic Dream, Climax Games, Novarama and future first-party studio Media Molecule.

Imagine trying to spin this as a negative.

This is why Sony runs a successful set of studios and are able to partner with 3rd parties on exclusive AA-AAA titles. :wow:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Support studios should be a common thing for major first party publishers. WE all seen the mess that happened with Halo when relying too much on contractors.