Sony fixing the CMOS Battery ‘problem’

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
CMOS battery life depends on how long the system is completely disconnected from power. they only last 3-5 years if the system is left unplugged

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
CMOS battery life depends on how long the system is completely disconnected from power. they only last 3-5 years if the system is left unplugged
It's funny people rage about this but don't seem to care that the Xbox Series X requires a one time activation online to play and BC games. I think all BC Xbox systems work this way. They play their own games natively but BC games are digital and the disc is just a check to confirm you own the game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's funny people rage about this but don't seem to care that the Xbox Series X requires a one time activation online to play and BC games. I think all BC Xbox systems work this way. They play their own games natively but BC games are digital and the disc is just a check to confirm you own the game.
All consoles play from the hard drive and just use the disc to confirm you own it.

And the operative word here is “one time” once you have a formatted Xbox hard drive you never have to connect again.

With PlayStation you will inevitably need to sign in online to even make your disc games work.

This has been known for some time it’s not new info.

The “outrage” came from Sony declaring that they were closing down the network for PS3 meaning sometime in the future PS3s will die and they won’t be able to connect online to reset, and presumably it would happen for PS4 and so on.

Sony has now declared they will fix both issues, but for some reason you stans still want to defend them and try to deflect to Xbox. :stopitslime:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I'm not sure what that has to do with CMOS battery life

but how else would you expect BC of physical games to work?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm not sure what that has to do with CMOS battery life

but how else would you expect BC of physical games to work?
If Xbox shuts down servers access to old game consoles and to play BC games you need a 1 time download then unless you have the original hardware you won’t be able to play and BC games you didn’t already have before the servers went dark.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
If Xbox shuts down servers access to old game consoles and to play BC games you need a 1 time download then unless you have the original hardware you won’t be able to play and BC games you didn’t already have before the servers went dark.

again, I don't know how else you expect this to work. the console doesn't come pre-loaded with a BC patch for every game. if/when the servers go away, there's a lot you won’t be able to do

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
again, I don't know how else you expect this to work. the console doesn't come pre-loaded with a BC patch for every game. if/when the servers go away, there's a lot you won’t be able to do
What I’m saying is Sony’s CMOS issue in the face of that isn’t as bad from a preservation standard. As old hardware doesn’t work forever there will come a time where much of this stuff isn’t accessible unless Microsoft keeps it going indefinitely.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
What I’m saying is Sony’s CMOS issue in the face of that isn’t as bad from a preservation standard. As old hardware doesn’t work forever there will come a time where much of this stuff isn’t accessible unless Microsoft keeps it going indefinitely.
I only commented on factors that affect CMOS battery life