Solo dining in NYC is hotter than ever — here’s how to own the town as a table for one

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Jess Brohier is sitting alone at Brooklyn’s Chez Alex — and she couldn’t be happier.

While she does “dine with friends a lot,” the 35-year-old photographer says having a solitary meal in a nice restaurant is a “form of self-care” for her.

Advertisement
“There’s something really nice about being present and savoring food that you pay for as well as appreciating that you carved out time for yourself,” Brohier told The Post.

“Sometimes I just want to have a nice time with myself,” she explained.

And while she’s the only one at her table, she’s definitely not alone.

A new survey conducted by restaurant reservation app OpenTable found that more and more, people are proudly saying, “Table for one, please!”

Solo reservations increased 8% in the US this year and about 60% of those surveyed — 68% for Gen Z and Millennials — said they’d dined solo at a sit-down restaurant.

It’s part of a growing trend for “me time,” cited as the top reason diners eat by themselves, according to OpenTable.

Sasha Davydova, 30, was doing just that when she went to Quality Meats in Midtown alone.

“I remember being at that breaking point where I was just like, I just want a steak. I don’t care. I’m going to get dressed up and I’m going to go get my top steak. That’s going to be my treat to myself. And so I did,” the tattoo artist tells The Post.

“Solo dining really opens up the world to me — to know I don’t have to wait for anyone else to do things.”

While it’s a nationwide trend to fly solo while dining, it’s even more widespread in Gotham.

New Yorkers dine solo more than the average American, Lightspeed reported to The Post, with just about half (49%) admitting they’ve snagged a table for one.

Reasons range from self-care (31%) to the desire to try out new places (29%) and needing a fast work lunch (27%).

“There’s nothing more empowering than dining solo in New York,” Michael Stillman, CEO and founder of Quality Branded, which operates Quality Meats, tells The Post. “You can do exactly what you want and don’t have to negotiate your order with anyone else. You own every part of your experience.”

Myka Meier, founder of New York-based Beaumont Etiquette, advises no one should ever feel sheepish about going it alone.

“There’s no need to feel embarrassed — in fact, it shows confidence and independence,” she says. “You’ll find that many people admire those who can comfortably dine solo — it’s a true life skill.”

As for where to sit, Meier says to pipe up if your table feels isolated — you deserve the same prime seating afforded to couples and larger groups.

“Avoid a table or seat where you are facing a wall and don’t be afraid to ask for a different table if you are brought to one that is not comfortable to you,” she says.

Most importantly, put down the phone. Don’t have loud conversations ever, and while “it’s fine to check in here and there,” she says you should instead “be present and soak in the environment.”

OpenTable CEO Debby Soo agrees that dining solo isn’t for scrolling.

“If you are on your phone the whole time, you aren’t getting your money’s worth,” she tells The Post. “A nice sit-down meal where I can enjoy a special dish uninterrupted, there’s nothing like it.”

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
I dined by myself all the time when I lived in NYC, didn't bother me.

Only regular fast food and fast causal spots though, I'm too ugly to eat at restaurants with a waiter and I'd fear they stereotype me as a broke boi that doesn't tip if I stepped in their restaurant :francis: I'm talking Applebees and Outback Steakhouse type restaurants too :mjcry:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Only regular fast food and fast causal spots though, I'm too ugly to eat at restaurants with a waiter and I'd fear they stereotype me as a broke boi that doesn't tip if I stepped in their restaurant :francis:
no one wants geese in their restaurant :camby:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

Only regular fast food and fast causal spots though, I'm too ugly to eat at restaurants with a waiter and I'd fear they stereotype me as a broke boi that doesn't tip if I stepped in their restaurant :francis: I'm talking Applebees and Outback Steakhouse type restaurants too :mjcry:
same :mjcry:

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
lonely people always have to justify shyt. smh. Like just go. Wtf is self care.. just say you wanted to eat there. ordering a table is nuts if they got a whole bar tho. you literally costing them money at that point. now if it's dead that's one thing. making a res for one person suggests the place was busy. it is what it is

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
lonely people always have to justify shyt. smh. Like just go. Wtf is self care.. just say you wanted to eat there. ordering a table is nuts if they got a whole bar tho. you literally costing them money at that point. now if it's dead that's one thing. making a res for one person suggests the place was busy. it is what it is
you eat your stake at the bar?

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
first off, for these hoes featured in this story this is like a self actualisation thing. because they only go to these restaurants on tinder dates where the dude is paying. new york whores eat at restaurants more than they cook for themselves because blowing the occasional banker (maybe 1 in 5, they merely tease and friendzone the rest of their internet dates) is cheaper than groceries.

second, i never gave a fukk what a waiter or another diner thought of me. ive eaten solo all over the world and the only thing that stops me is when the waitress or someone elses girl sits down with me.

and finally, ill be god damned if i dont have a loud conversation on my phone while im eating dinner im paying for. keep telling me what to do ill put my shyt on speaker too.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Jess Brohier is sitting alone at Brooklyn’s Chez Alex — and she couldn’t be happier.

While she does “dine with friends a lot,” the 35-year-old photographer says having a solitary meal in a nice restaurant is a “form of self-care” for her.

Advertisement
“There’s something really nice about being present and savoring food that you pay for as well as appreciating that you carved out time for yourself,” Brohier told The Post.

“Sometimes I just want to have a nice time with myself,” she explained.

And while she’s the only one at her table, she’s definitely not alone.

A new survey conducted by restaurant reservation app OpenTable found that more and more, people are proudly saying, “Table for one, please!”

Solo reservations increased 8% in the US this year and about 60% of those surveyed — 68% for Gen Z and Millennials — said they’d dined solo at a sit-down restaurant.

It’s part of a growing trend for “me time,” cited as the top reason diners eat by themselves, according to OpenTable.

Sasha Davydova, 30, was doing just that when she went to Quality Meats in Midtown alone.

“I remember being at that breaking point where I was just like, I just want a steak. I don’t care. I’m going to get dressed up and I’m going to go get my top steak. That’s going to be my treat to myself. And so I did,” the tattoo artist tells The Post.

“Solo dining really opens up the world to me — to know I don’t have to wait for anyone else to do things.”

While it’s a nationwide trend to fly solo while dining, it’s even more widespread in Gotham.

New Yorkers dine solo more than the average American, Lightspeed reported to The Post, with just about half (49%) admitting they’ve snagged a table for one.

Reasons range from self-care (31%) to the desire to try out new places (29%) and needing a fast work lunch (27%).

“There’s nothing more empowering than dining solo in New York,” Michael Stillman, CEO and founder of Quality Branded, which operates Quality Meats, tells The Post. “You can do exactly what you want and don’t have to negotiate your order with anyone else. You own every part of your experience.”

Myka Meier, founder of New York-based Beaumont Etiquette, advises no one should ever feel sheepish about going it alone.

“There’s no need to feel embarrassed — in fact, it shows confidence and independence,” she says. “You’ll find that many people admire those who can comfortably dine solo — it’s a true life skill.”

As for where to sit, Meier says to pipe up if your table feels isolated — you deserve the same prime seating afforded to couples and larger groups.

“Avoid a table or seat where you are facing a wall and don’t be afraid to ask for a different table if you are brought to one that is not comfortable to you,” she says.

Most importantly, put down the phone. Don’t have loud conversations ever, and while “it’s fine to check in here and there,” she says you should instead “be present and soak in the environment.”

OpenTable CEO Debby Soo agrees that dining solo isn’t for scrolling.

“If you are on your phone the whole time, you aren’t getting your money’s worth,” she tells The Post. “A nice sit-down meal where I can enjoy a special dish uninterrupted, there’s nothing like it.”

I'm just happy that Black women aren't the face of this.