Sohh Babylon...Misunderstood Movie

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Babylon_2022_poster.jpg

When I first heard about this movie, it was during a podcast (The Lapsed Fan). Dude said it was about the transition from the Silent Film era to Sound. This intrigues the marsupial as a movie buff that loves stories of that era that Hollywood often sugarcoats.

Fast forward to this weekend, I finally got the chance to actually watch this flick after the mixed reviews, along with the flick bombing. THREE FRIGGIN HOURS!! but okay, the marsupial sat through a movie of a lady making meatloaf and folding clothes for 4 hours, so I'm bout it bout it :ehh:

The fukkING elephant shyt scene. I don't know if this is going to work :why: , but a voice in my head told me to stick with it, and quite frankly I glad that I did. This movie was incredible for the right reasons and the wrong.

• Modern take of a time of the transition (a TLDR) type of flick based loosely of that era
  • Probably some of Pitts best work that was under the radar
  • Yes, it romanced the idea of Hollywood>>>> along with the typical glamorous tropes, yet "do you fools listen to music of skim through it" involving the overall plot and grim reality of how Hollywood chews and spit you out
  • Diego Calva played his ass off along with Robbie (Probably the best thing she did in my eye)
  • Tobey McGuire popping out of nowhere like Pac in the Cube/Dre video
  • That montage at the end of the movie showing the progression of cinema throughout the century
Now the main gripe that I have with the movie that it's Boogie Nights with ragtime tunes. From the beginning with the over the top parties, the "gasp" the actor is acting scene, and finally the "Wonderlands" scene which felt like play by play (Lazy AF). But its more on director's foolishness with rehashed scribble.

Overall, the movie wasn't that bad but I understand the hate. Yet, the hate felt a bit over the top IMO :francis:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
True the 3 hours was over the limit :francis: , but what was self-indulgent about the flick beyond the opening scene, along with Brad Pitt flossing money around?
it's a hollywood movie about hollywood...doesn't get more self indulgent than that.

the final scene with the different movies kinda took me out of it too lol...cause they was showing films that were modern. I get it was for our benefit, but just kinda funny. they should've stuck with movies around that time to flash on the screen.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
it's a hollywood movie about hollywood...doesn't get more self indulgent than that.

the final scene with the different movies kinda took me out of it too lol...cause they was showing films that were modern. I get it was for our benefit, but just kinda funny. they should've stuck with movies around that time to flash on the screen.

I mean the montage scene felt like transitions from different eras. Like it was a huge deal seeing a gap between Tron to T2.

As far as Hollywood=Hollywood, this movie actually ended on a sad note with everybody involved not getting what they desired.

They all got played by the same bytch known as Hollywood, from the trumpet player :mjpls: , to Brad Pitt's character.

The silent to sound era was a tragic event that's often not covered as much as "golden era of Hollywood" due to the depression, deaths, and acknowledgement of how dirty them actors got done.