So what we think about Apple repair program now selling repair parts and manuals/tools now?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
which means no more shytty 3rd party repair with :trash: repair parts and can now swap out our own batteries.

Apple announces Self Service Repair

PRESS RELEASENovember 17, 2021
Apple announces Self Service Repair
Apple parts, tools, and manuals — starting with iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 — available to individual consumers
Apple_Self-Service-Repair_hero_11172021_big.jpg.large.jpg

CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today announced Self Service Repair, which will allow customers who are comfortable with completing their own repairs access to Apple genuine parts and tools. Available first for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups, and soon to be followed by Mac computers featuring M1 chips, Self Service Repair will be available early next year in the US and expand to additional countries throughout 2022. Customers join more than 5,000 Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASPs) and 2,800 Independent Repair Providers who have access to these parts, tools, and manuals.
The initial phase of the program will focus on the most commonly serviced modules, such as the iPhone display, battery, and camera. The ability for additional repairs will be available later next year.
“Creating greater access to Apple genuine parts gives our customers even more choice if a repair is needed,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer. “In the past three years, Apple has nearly doubled the number of service locations with access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and training, and now we’re providing an option for those who wish to complete their own repairs.”
Apple builds durable products designed to endure the rigors of everyday use. When an Apple product requires repair, it can be serviced by trained technicians using Apple genuine parts at thousands of locations, including Apple (in-store or by mail), AASPs, Independent Repair Providers, and now product owners who are capable of performing repairs themselves.
Self Service Repair
To ensure a customer can safely perform a repair, it’s important they first review the Repair Manual. Then a customer will place an order for the Apple genuine parts and tools using the Apple Self Service Repair Online Store. Following the repair, customers who return their used part for recycling will receive credit toward their purchase.
The new store will offer more than 200 individual parts and tools, enabling customers to complete the most common repairs on iPhone 12 and iPhone 13.
Self Service Repair is intended for individual technicians with the knowledge and experience to repair electronic devices. For the vast majority of customers, visiting a professional repair provider with certified technicians who use genuine Apple parts is the safest and most reliable way to get a repair.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Apple knows damn well they are about to make a killing off people thinking they know what they’re doing and fukk up their whole phones. I’m good with electronics, PC hardware, soldering, etc but replacing parts in a phone is insanely difficult

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Apple knows damn well they are about to make a killing off people thinking they know what they’re doing and fukk up their whole phones. I’m good with electronics, PC hardware, soldering, etc but replacing parts in a phone is insanely difficult
No way I would try to fix my own phone even if I knew how. If they mess up, I would at least get a refurbished replacement. If I mess up, I get to buy a new phone. Companies really don’t even repair phones because they aren’t designed to be repaired.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: B86

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
No way I would try to fix my own phone even if I knew how. If they mess up, I would at least get a refurbished replacement. If I mess up, I get to buy a new phone. Companies really don’t even repair phone because they aren’t designed to be repaired.
I’ve tried and failed a couple times some years back. There are so many parts that have to be taken out and they are so small that you have to use tweezers. Never again. I can only imagine it’s even more tedious nowadays

Daps
Reppin
Canada
I wouldn't attempt repairs on phones/ipads. but Macbooks and mac minis should be easy.

• Dap

Armchair Militant

Stay woke
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Yup. I fukked up my MacBook thinking I could repair the screen. I probably wouldn’t be able to fix anything on the phone besides a battery replacement. :mjlol:

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset

Which ever iPhone was out when the 360 red ring of death was happening I tried to fix as I had fixed a few consoles by that point. Ended up with 20 screws all that look identical but are different. Ended up having to pay somebody to put the shyt back together and then fix it :russ::gucci:

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Which ever iPhone was out when the 360 red ring of death was happening I tried to fix as I had fixed a few consoles by that point. Ended up with 20 screws all that look identical but are different. Ended up having to pay somebody to put the shyt back together and then fix it :russ::gucci:
Breh, that feeling when you look down and don’t know which screw went where…

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

I'm just glad we can officially replace batteries in laptops and phones. That's a game changer.

I wouldn't attempt an iPhone repair because the parts are so small plus u gotta replace the gasket so it'll be waterproof again.

• Dap

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I’m Apple certified and I can guarantee mad people gonna fukk they phones up or injure themselves by not handling the battery correctly. iPhones have like 5-6 different types of screws for one phone and placing them shyts in the wrong position can fukk shyt up as well.