So...my coworkers are having their annual golf outing next week

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I've worked at the place less than a year so I didn't know until relatively recently, but apparently they have a golf outing every summer. From what I understand they have four person teams (typically people that work in the same department) and spend the day on the golf course. From what I understand they drink and whatnot during the tournament, and have a dinner buffet or something afterwards.

I was invited, but I don't plan on going because:

1. I don't know the first thing about golf and would probably embarrass myself

2. It's quite possible I'd be the only black person there, which would be kind of awkward to say the least. I'm already the only black person in my department, not sure if other black people where I work at usually go to this. I know it's 2013 and all, but I'm just keeping it 100.

3. They might start bringing up politics and shyt (since it's outside of work), and I'd rather not go there. Last thing I want to deal with is somebody getting drunk and deciding to bring up the Trayvon Martin verdict or something..

So I probably won't go. But I'm just curious...for the black brehs in TLR...do you think I should go? If you were in my shoes, would you attend the golf outing?

Last edited:

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
go breh. things like this is how you get to know your coworkers and possibly make friends and connections. the internet is at your disposal so read golf or any other topic your coworkers discuss that your not familiar with so you can take part in conversions and not felt left out. And most of all have some confidence.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I'd go. Don't miss out on experiences. Most of the people who golf for leisure don't know what the hell they're doing anyway, so just hang loose and don't worry about it, most people don't mind giving pointers.

As for being the only black guy: Be you and don't alter your behavior because people see right through that and you automatically become a joke (but I know you know that because you work with them). Hang loose and have fun

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
So I probably won't go. But I'm just curious...for the black brehs in TLR...do you think I should go? If you were in my shoes, would you attend the golf outing?

I was in the same exact position as you about 2 years ago. As a result, I actually took up golf. It is a fun game and I suggest you try it.
Golf outings are fun, you play golf and get drunk. I've been on 3 company golf outings so far, twice in Dearborn, once at a course in Taylor.
Went on a golf weekend with my immediate coworkers to Traverse city and had an awesome time.

Yes I'm the token negro, but so what. I aint out there c00ning, just staying true to myself and having a good time. Dont be afraid to try new things.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
id go but if they get drunk....have thick skin family....because yeah, they going in

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I'd go. You never know what happen. You might end up liking golf :yeshrug:

kash10003

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
go the fukk out there and enjoy yourself and the network around you. most people wont be any good at the game anyway

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
you should definitely go. Golf is a fun game and is a great way to break the ice. Consider going to the local driving range and practice hitting balls. golf is a very fun game once you get the hang of it.