So in 2012, is it safe to say the conscious/introspective MC is dead?

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I randomly started to think about this yesterday. It's like slowly but surely anyone talking about anything got thrown in the bushes. :trash:

I was never into Immortal Technique but I liked to see a few dudes on TV who would spit about something other than the norm. Lupe's new music I'm not really feeling but he's one of the few signed to a major label who touches on what's going. Budden is one of my favorites as far as the introspective aspect but he hasn't even been that good the past year or two. Saigon seems to be pushing his new album to be socially aware, but this is the same guy who came out with "For Some p*ssy" :comeon:.

Kanye was never fully backpack but his new shyt is pretty much trap rap. K.R.I.T, Kendrick, Ab Soul and a few others have introspective stuff but the future ain't looking good. You still got your Common, Mos Def and Dead Prez but new music from them is few and far between.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I think the introspective part is doing okl............

However, the conscious part is :shaq2:. I think they aren't "going in", like they use to, considering ALL THE EVENTS OCCURRING TODAY.........they are rather.....umm..... err ......... weak.....

Not all, but compared to early 90s, when their wasn't nearly as many things occurring....its pretty dismal....the Conscious part anyway. Less MCs go deep into the rabbit hole......

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Nah... there's lots of 'em. Dead as far as being heavily promoted and whatnot? Maybe. But that's been the case for a long ass time now. Even the more popular artists have introspective stuff, but it's track 16 on the album so nobody really catches it unless you're really a listener of their music like that.

Daps
Reppin
Richmond, Va
Kendrick, KRIT, Stalley, Lito, Killer Mike, Budden, Pill, Danny Brown, G-Side, Fashawn shyt even Gunplay at times. And these are just off the top...

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Introspective is doing fine. I was never a big fan of the "conscious" anyway. All that political preaching isn't my cup of tea

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Its plenty of conscious shyt being dropped on the reg. Like all those posters ^ me named tons of them. shyt get that Roots "Undun" album. Most these artists arent gonna be popular cause they want us to remain ignorant and go against each other instead of the grain. So just check all those names mentioned. Its up to the fans to do a 180 on this rap shyt. And embrass the more introspective artists. If not shyt just gonna remain the same. A lot them let radio and videos dictate whose hot or marketable and listenable. Just look for shyt u feelin and keep it movin.

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
I randomly started to think about this yesterday. It's like slowly but surely anyone talking about anything got thrown in the bushes. :trash:

I was never into Immortal Technique but I liked to see a few dudes on TV who would spit about something other than the norm. Lupe's new music I'm not really feeling but he's one of the few signed to a major label who touches on what's going. Budden is one of my favorites as far as the introspective aspect but he hasn't even been that good the past year or two. Saigon seems to be pushing his new album to be socially aware, but this is the same guy who came out with "For Some p*ssy" :comeon:.

Kanye was never fully backpack but his new shyt is pretty much trap rap. K.R.I.T, Kendrick, Ab Soul and a few others have introspective stuff but the future ain't looking good. You still got your Common, Mos Def and Dead Prez but new music from them is few and far between.

Its still out there bruh, you just gotta dig a lil deeper that's all. You got golden era cats still puttin it down if that's your thing. Krs, Brotha J from X-Clan, Wise Intelligent, it just ain't out there like it used to be. Most folks don't really wanna hear that type of rap anymore, but its still accessible playboy.

Last edited by a moderator: