So I watched When the Levees Broke (Hurricane Katrina)

Raava

Staff member
Daps
that type of stuff spreaded all the way up to Jackson,MS. I remember a lady got killed over ICE in Hattiesburg. Some of my brehs from down there had to syphon gas out of cars to leave the city. I dipped all the way to Birmingham & stayed with my Mom.

I couldn't believe how :mindblown: I was, the rest of the country was just carrying on like it wasn't even happening :sadcam:
that ish reminded me of Apocalypse

bout to go watch now

It spread across the whole south for sure. Everything was crazy in BR and Houston. There were a lot of fights between Houston and N.O. people. I remember talking to people who didn't know where people in their family were, then find out they were somewhere across the country a week later. It was surreal to me so just imagine how it was for them. The separation reminded me of slavery.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It spread across the whole south for sure. Everything was crazy in BR and Houston. There were a lot of fights between Houston and N.O. people. I remember talking to people who didn't know where people in their family were, then find out they were somewhere across the country a week later. It was surreal to me so just imagine how it was for them. The separation reminded me of slavery.
They said people were being put onto airplanes and nobody was telling them where they were going.

They'd land and find out they were in Oklahoma or Utah or Texas.

They said that it was chaos when they moved people out of the Superdome. They were trying to separate people by gender, by age, by families...

It blows my mind that this doesn't get talked about.
Everything is 9/11 every year but I'm just starting to realize how huge of a disaster Hurricane Katrina really was.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Wow, reading some of first hand accounts of Coli posters who was in the areas affected by Katrina seems like some walking dead type stuff :wow:

And to the breh who said Katrina doesn't get the media hype of 9/11, TBH, what cat 5 storm does though? :patrice:

Wasn't Hurricane Andrew as bad as Katrina?

I remember when this first happened and the poster who said the rest of the country went on like nothing happened during this storm is right, crazy how society works sometimes. I remember I was getting ready for 8th Grade in NY and Louisiana was on some end of the world tip :wow:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wow, reading some of first hand accounts of Coli posters who was in the areas affected by Katrina seems like some walking dead type stuff :wow:

And to the breh who said Katrina doesn't get the media hype of 9/11, TBH, what cat 5 storm does though? :patrice:

Wasn't Hurricane Andrew as bad as Katrina?

I remember when this first happened and the poster who said the rest of the country went on like nothing happened during this storm is right, crazy how society works sometimes. I remember I was getting ready for 8th Grade in NY and Louisiana was on some end of the world tip :wow:
I just think...having seen this documentary...that the overall destruction and chaos that followed Hurricane Katrina was a lot worse than what followed 9/11 in New York.

I realize that's not a popular view. But it is what it is.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
I just think...having seen this documentary...that the overall destruction and chaos that followed Hurricane Katrina was a lot worse than what followed 9/11 in New York.

I realize that's not a popular view. But it is what it is.
Oh yeah, damage in N.O was far worse than 9/11 in NY, for the most part, only Lower Manhattan was affected damage wise.

Its funny, there was a thread in the booth talking about when all the posters living in NYC on 9/11 copping the Blueprint and Fab debut album that day :pachaha: Unless you had some kind of connect to lower Manhattan on 9/11 (i.e knowing someone that worked there) the attack wasn't big that of a deal :manny: nikkas obviously wasn't buying albums in N.O in the immediate days surrounding Katrina.

I remember 9/11 clearly, it wasn't remotely chaotic in BK, I remember the mailman making a joke about having to work during a terrorist attack :mjlol:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oh yeah, damage in N.O was far worse than 9/11 in NY, for the most part, only Lower Manhattan was affected damage wise.

Its funny, there was a thread in the booth talking about when all the posters living in NYC on 9/11 copping the Blueprint and Fab debut album that day :pachaha: Unless you had some kind of connect to lower Manhattan on 9/11 (i.e knowing someone that worked there) the attack wasn't big that of a deal :manny: nikkas obviously wasn't buying albums in N.O in the immediate days surrounding Katrina.

I remember 9/11 clearly, it wasn't remotely chaotic in BK, I remember the mailman making a joke about having to work during a terrorist attack :mjlol:
I was in college when 9/11 hit...upstate in Albany.

I had just gotten out of an early morning computer science class.
I don't remember if I bought The Blueprint album that day, or a few days later. But I remember that I didn't like it at first. That Jay-to-the-Izzo song was corny. It still is. I think at that time I gave the Blueprint to my brother when I visited home and I was zoning out to an old Red Hot Chili Peppers album...maybe Californication.

By Halloween though, I had heard enough of The Blueprint to love it and I wanted it back, but my brother refused to give it up.

:mjcry:

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I watched that film when it came out. That Terence Blanchard score was just chilling, I gotta find that.

It's crazy it'll be 10 yrs in August. I was a sophomore in high school and remember the days leading up to the hurricane, but I didn't know it would cause so many issues. Then a few weeks later the influx of New Orleans kids transferring into my high school. It's forever fukk Bush and all the shady folks involved with logistics and politics in New Orleans pre/post Katrina.

It was another documentary, can't recall the name, that talked about the police dept shady shyt in the weeks after Katrina.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Ordered it when it first came out..........

During the hurricane I was up on the Northshore near the Mississippi state line. We were on the Western side of the storm so we just got wind and then had to make do without electricity for a while. New Orleans would have been fine if the levees hadn't gave. shyt is whack what happened. It didn't have to ....

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
I saw a little of it last night. Watching a little more now..

SMH at the part that made me man-cry:wow:

Families finally leaving the Superdome. Carrying the little they had with them. Some lady had a dog. Many people had pillows...but the teenager with the basketball got me, yall :wow:

That's his life's belonging...His comfort...

This shyt hit me :to:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I saw a little of it last night. Watching a little more now..

SMH at the part that made me man-cry:wow:

Families finally leaving the Superdome. Carrying the little they had with them. Some lady had a dog. Many people had pillows...but the teenager with the basketball got me, yall :wow:

That's his life's belonging...His comfort...

This shyt hit me :to:
It's such a long documentary. 4 hours in total, but it needed to be that long. They covered so much.
Like, just when you think you get it..you've heard all the stories....then another story about how fukked up that shyt was....man, I teared up a few times.

Those people who stayed are resilient as fukk, man.