So I watched When the Levees Broke (Hurricane Katrina)

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
i know people are so use to conspiracy theories and think u are crazy if you mention shyt

but

on everything
the levee were blown up:mjcry:

they stole people's land afterward
knocked down people's homes
all in poor neighboorhoods

the cost of living in NO went thru the roof after Katrina

shyt was done to displace the poor and gentrify downtown

the fukked up thing is
NO govt let bum ass companies come thru and basically take the money and do no work

so the NO govt planned to take poor people's homes and land
but the companies that were supposed to fix up the shyt so the govt could make downtown a prime real estate area off stolen land stole the money and bounced

and aint shyt the govt can do because it would reveal what they did in the 1st place

that's why in 2015 most of the destruction still exist:pacspit:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
@Raul I haven't seen the film in years, but I do remember a segment of it devoted to talking about the displacement of blacks from New Orleans through that shytty program set up by FEMA...entire families were just moving/shipped to various states throughout the south waiting on hand and foot for money and a new home..only to get some paltry amount of cash and a trailer after a long ass wait.

Sonic Boom of the South

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
and dont get me started on fema

Fema was just giving money to anyone without even verifying if they lost shyt

i know people who lived in Mississippi in an area with no damage
who filed to get money from FEMA

thousands of people got money early who lied
while the actual people who needed it were away displaced and not able to file

then when they tried FEMA ran out of money:pacspit:

then they pretended to plan to go after the people who committed fraud
but didnt at all:sas2:

they just let nikkas get money for free cause they didnt give a fukk

shyt was a way to ease people's minds about stealing their homes:snoop:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
@Raul I haven't seen the film in years, but I do remember a segment of it devoted to talking about the displacement of blacks from New Orleans through that shytty program set up by FEMA...entire families were just moving/shipped to various states throughout the south waiting on hand and foot for money and a new home..only to get some paltry amount of cash and a trailer after a long ass wait.

and the fukking trailers were poisoning people.

There have been accusations of health problems caused by high formaldehyde levels in the trailers,[10] produced by formaldehyde emissions from manufactured materials used in construction of the trailers. Residents have reported breathing difficulties, persistent flu-like symptoms, eye irritation, and nosebleeds. Tests on a number of FEMA trailers by the Sierra Club showed some 83% had levels of formaldehyde in the indoor air at levels above the EPA recommended limit. Congressmen Henry Waxman and Charlie Melanconhave requested FEMA test trailers and address the issue.[11]

In July 2008, researchers conducting a federally funded analysis reported that the toxic levels of formaldehyde in the trailers probably resulted from faulty construction practices and the use of substandard building materials.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMA_trailer#Health_problems

Sonic Boom of the South

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Do you know that AFTER Katrina

-NO police and vigilante groups were going around and killing poor black people who returned

-also random inmates were killed and it was either attributed to suicide or inmate murder:pacspit:
but i know what the real deal was

and people wanna call me a coli militant and act like im just mad for no reason

i done seen too much man:to:

this shyt is fukked up brah:to:

they wanted nikkas out of NO so bad
that they would rather pay for you to move to a brand new $150,000 home in Jackson/Brandon Mississippi
than to let you restore your OWN home in NO:snoop:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

As msnbc.com (now NBCNews.com) first reported in July 2006, residents of the trailers began complaining of headaches, nosebleeds and breathing difficulty shortly after moving into the trailers, which were trucked to the Gulf Coast by the tens of thousands after Katrina and Rita devastated the area in rapid succession in 2005.

Air quality tests of 44 FEMA trailers in early 2006 conducted by the Sierra Club found formaldehyde concentrations as high as 0.34 parts per million – a level nearly equal to what a professional embalmer would be exposed to on the job, according to one study of the chemical’s workplace effects.

And government tests on hundreds of trailers in Louisiana and Mississippi announced in 2008 found formaldehyde levels that were, on average, about five times what people are exposed to in most modern homes.

FEMA, which isn't a party to the settlements, had long downplayed the health risks from formaldehyde exposure before those test results were announced.
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_...trailer-manufacturers-settled-for-426-million

I'm sure this was all just an unfortunate coincidence

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
hours before, crazy shyt is that I decided to go to work the night before the storm, I was working at FedEx during that time and my mom told me, "if you go to work, I'm going to Houston without you", I didn't think she was gonna leave me but she did. I had to hitch a ride with someone else and ended up in Dallas, shyt took 18 hours when it usually would have been 6-7, we were in danger of running out of gas, car dealerships were being broken into, cars stolen, gas stations running out of gas, fights, shyt was just too much.

:wow: me & my wife (girlfriend at the time) had just left there from having a photo shoot. We spent the night in Hattiesburg,MS and the next day it was a trail of cars coming up out of NO dipping away from the storm

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
I finally watched it last year and it brought me to tears. It was sad watching all of that and people losing their livelihood and culture. I always wanted to visit New Orleans and will soon but from the looks of it the soul and essence which made it great is not there anymore.

I moreso want to see the damage, and the areas affected by it. Always felt the media spun the tragedy anyway they wanted.

I lost all respect for Nagin after all the stuff came out, the media made it seem like he was riding for the cause but dude was benefiting on the low.

Great documentary

Raava

Staff member
Daps
I watched it when it came out I cried. I remember when it hit. Watching it on TV people taking people into their homes down here. I had just moved back to Texas, from Baton Rouge right before it hit. My bf at the time was still going to school. When it was over I drove to see him and the whole route on I-10 looked like a war zone. Baton Rouge was like nothing I had ever seen. It was busting at the seams. They were closing everything early or just down period. I tried to go to Wal Mart they were out of everything. People were everywhere and so were police. I remember a cop yelling at me for trying to go through a door I didn't know was closed. They had curfews and any black person got harrassed. Everybody was angry and frustrated.

How they did the City and the people is a shame, a crime. They got away with it.

Edit: Its a book I have been meaning to read. Five Days at Memorial about he hospital during, has anyone read it?

Last edited:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
really good documentary man. i choked up a lot.

we even had some hurricane victims up here in NY at the time staying on my grandma's block. so crazy to see them so far up north.

CriticalThought

All Star
Daps
A lot of foul shyt was done down there. Rule #1- Do it to black people nobody will care except black people (some of them). When they blocked Cuba from sending doctors to help out had me fukked up. That's why I can't help but to not trust black people who trust white people. Then I get called paranoid for telling it the way it is. So many foul things done it's embarrassing.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I watched it when it came out I cried. I remember when it hit. Watching it on TV people taking people into their homes down here. I had just moved back to Texas, from Baton Rouge right before it hit. My bf at the time was still going to school. When it was over I drove to see him and the whole route on I-10 looked like a war zone. Baton Rouge was like nothing I had ever seen. It was busting at the seams. They were closing everything early or just down period. I tried to go to Wal Mart they were out of everything. People were everywhere and so were police. I remember a cop yelling at me for trying to go through a door I didn't know was closed. They had curfews and any black person got harrassed. Everybody was angry and frustrated.

How they did the City and the people is a shame, a crime. They got away with it.

Edit: Its a book I have been meaning to read. Five Days at Memorial about he hospital during, has anyone read it?

that type of stuff spreaded all the way up to Jackson,MS. I remember a lady got killed over ICE in Hattiesburg. Some of my brehs from down there had to syphon gas out of cars to leave the city. I dipped all the way to Birmingham & stayed with my Mom.

I couldn't believe how :mindblown: I was, the rest of the country was just carrying on like it wasn't even happening :sadcam:
that ish reminded me of Apocalypse

bout to go watch now