So I watched When the Levees Broke (Hurricane Katrina)

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
9 years late, I finally got around to watching Spike Lee's documentary "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in 4 Acts" (2006).

:ohhh:

I knew the Hurricane was bad, even when it was happening, but I didn't pay thorough attention at the time. The memory I have of it was mainly how bad the destruction was, but also how much I hated the media for painting the people who needed help as "looters".

If you never watched this documentary....holy shyt, you really need to.

The damage and government failure was WAY worse than I could have imagined.

There's a part in the documentary where some people say they heard a loud explosion...that maybe the levees were blown up to flood the 9th Ward to protect the business district around Bourbon Street.

If true, that's some fukked up, evil shyt.

Anybody on the Coli have stories about the Hurricane?

:lupe:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I lived in New Orleans my entire life until Katrina, I never moved back after. never saw the movie, don't want to, when I visit now it's depressing because white's have gentrified entire sections of the city, it's literally like a spreading disease. Areas where white people wouldn't be caught dead you're seeing them out late at night, jogging, walking alone, because all of the Black people have been displaced.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I lived in New Orleans my entire life until Katrina, I never moved back after. never saw the movie, don't want to, when I visit now it's depressing because white's have gentrified entire sections of the city, it's literally like a spreading disease. Areas where white people wouldn't be caught dead you're seeing them out late at night, jogging, walking alone, because all of the Black people have been displaced.
You managed to get out before it hit?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
You managed to get out before it hit?

hours before, crazy shyt is that I decided to go to work the night before the storm, I was working at FedEx during that time and my mom told me, "if you go to work, I'm going to Houston without you", I didn't think she was gonna leave me but she did. I had to hitch a ride with someone else and ended up in Dallas, shyt took 18 hours when it usually would have been 6-7, we were in danger of running out of gas, car dealerships were being broken into, cars stolen, gas stations running out of gas, fights, shyt was just too much.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
Will watch when I get home

Can't believe how they let those people starv in new Orleans...took forever for them to get water

That's was a wakeup call

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
9 years late, I finally got around to watching Spike Lee's documentary "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in 4 Acts" (2006).

I knew the Hurricane was bad, even when it was happening, but I didn't pay thorough attention at the time. The memory I have of it was mainly how bad the destruction was, but also how much I hated the media for painting the people who needed help as "looters".

If you never watched this documentary....holy shyt, you really need to.

The damage and government failure was WAY worse than I could have imagined.

There's a part in the documentary where some people say they heard a loud explosion...that maybe the levees were blown up to flood the 9th Ward to protect the business district around Bourbon Street.

If true, that's some fukked up, evil shyt.

Anybody on the Coli have stories about the Hurricane?

:lupe:

Yea they won't tell you those "levees" were blown up.....:sas2:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
hours before, crazy shyt is that I decided to go to work the night before the storm, I was working at FedEx during that time and my mom told me, "if you go to work, I'm going to Houston without you", I didn't think she was gonna leave me but she did. I had to hitch a ride with someone else and ended up in Dallas, shyt took 18 hours when it usually would have been 6-7, we were in danger of running out of gas, car dealerships were being broken into, cars stolen, gas stations running out of gas, fights, shyt was just too much.

Damn dude. Glad you made it out.
I don't even blame your mom for leaving like that. I guess she had a suspicion that the storm was not one to fukk around with.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

Damn dude. Glad you made it out.
I don't even blame your mom for leaving like that. I guess she had a suspicion that the storm was not one to fukk around with.

a lot of people knew, but we see so many storms that people are used to taking precautions like boarding up windows and riding out the storm, this was the wrong storm to try and ride out, once those levees broke the flood waters were too much to handle, had people stranded on their roofs (for days) waiting for boats and helicopters

The Bilingual Gringo

Tucked in to the socks
Supporter
Daps

I was down there last fall for a bachelor party, and we walked all the way down from the main area of Bourbon Street down to a spot called The Spotted Cat, and according to a local that I spoke to, a lot of that between areas were pretty much where white people didn't go. You could really tell though, it just had a hipster feel to it.

I wills say that being down there and putting into scope what I saw on television and then actually seeing those areas first hand and being under the overpasses where people were sheltered up, was just :wow:

_Anghellic_

Tia Mowry Bandwagon
Daps
Reppin
The Dirty South
Shiiitttt the survivors were wildin the fukk out and shooting up the crime rate all over the southeast. We thought we were in for another crack era type of violence, luckily that wasn't the case.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a lot of people knew, but we see so many storms that people are used to taking precautions like boarding up windows and riding out the storm, this was the wrong storm to try and ride out, once those levees broke the flood waters were too much to handle, had people stranded on their roofs (for days) waiting for boats and helicopters
Yeah they said that when the tsunami happened in Indonesia, the US Govt had aid to them in 2 days.

Took em a week to get to New Orleans.

One of the guys in the documentary said his mother died right next to him while waiting for relief buses.
I almost teared up watching him tell that story.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I remember when this hurricane happened. I was 10 at the time and was in Boston visiting family. They were discussing it and the news sad it was gonna be a category 5. Man after it happened I know a lot of people who moved from NOLA to VA. Like some of the kids were discussing it too.