So I watched Batman over the weekend

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i goto say, bane owned that sh1t lol. the voice and the sh1t he was saying had me like:laugh:

"shadows trail you because they belong to me" :laugh: nicca what????? :laugh:

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
When it comes to big blockbuster trilogies...you kinda have to give it to Dark Knight Trilogy.

And it's weird, I stan for it out of hatred of Marvel films, but I still recognize where it is flawed.

Nolan is on some semi-Kubrick type shyt....his style of filmmaking makes it difficult for him to making something bad. If he ever tried to step outside of his own box and make something truly magical or fantastical he might fail, but I can't see him doing that. And he really runs this "serious, non-ironic, blockbuster" shyt right now.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
batman's voice is laughable at this point. that shyt had me laughing in the theatre when no one else was laughing.

however, baine did his thing. he was dope.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
When it comes to big blockbuster trilogies...you kinda have to give it to Dark Knight Trilogy.

And it's weird, I stan for it out of hatred of Marvel films, but I still recognize where it is flawed.

Nolan is on some semi-Kubrick type shyt....his style of filmmaking makes it difficult for him to making something bad. If he ever tried to step outside of his own box and make something truly magical or fantastical he might fail, but I can't see him doing that. And he really runs this "serious, non-ironic, blockbuster" shyt right now.

no. no he isn't...

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ

:pacspit:

Rufus Dufus

All Star
Daps
Saw it last night. Pretty good movie.

Thought it was a little too long though.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
no. no he isn't...

Rest of the thought, after the periods? his style of filmmaking makes it difficult for him to making something bad.

That's a shytty way to put it, but what I was trying to say is that they both have a colder tone, that lends itself to a specific type of film. The comparison was only in regards to their clinical, calculative, almost soulless styles, allowing for them to get away with a lot of things that others couldn't, because even their silly works have a sense of seriousness or non-irony to them.

To be fair, you see this a little bit less in the Dark Knight films of course, given that they are full-blown superhero movies (But it's still there in Inception, which would have been a mess if say, Steven Spielberg or JJ Abrams did it).

I just hope he doesn't stay in blockbusters for the rest of his career.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Rest of the thought, after the periods? his style of filmmaking makes it difficult for him to making something bad.

That's a shytty way to put it, but what I was trying to say is that they both have a colder tone, that lends itself to a specific type of film. The comparison was only in regards to their clinical, calculative, almost soulless styles, allowing for them to get away with a lot of things that others couldn't, because even their silly works have a sense of seriousness or non-irony to them.

To be fair, you see this a little bit less in the Dark Knight films of course, given that they are full-blown superhero movies (But it's still there in Inception, which would have been a mess if say, Steven Spielberg or JJ Abrams did it).

I just hope he doesn't stay in blockbusters for the rest of his career.
for the first statement in that bolded paragraph (about the colder tone), you can say that about a lot of different directors. that's not something you can't equate specifically with kubrick neither is it a word i'd use to highlight kubrick's work. another comment on the "soullessness" of kubrick and nolan. you could say that about plenty of kubrick's works most because of the emphasis on dialogue (usage) and space but none of nolan's works reflect that same style or approach to dialogue that kubrick's films do. they might have moments where they share a similar approach or certain scenes where they do, but kubrick's films have the whole film designed around that rather than the film dictating where dialogue will be emphasized in such a way.

it's just bad to compare the two, honestly, and use the dark knight trilogy as an example. kubrick wouldn't have ever done a super hero movie. and no matter how nolan might have attempted to be a "semi-kubrick" as you stated in your first response, the genre and subjects in super-hero movies demand a specific set approach whenever the director is creating the movie. especially superheroes that are already established in most people's minds...

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as far as i'm concerned, i can't think of a bad Nolan movie.

loved:

all three Batmans
The Prestige
Inception
Memento