smoking after/before workout

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
i find that gym flow begins with a ciggerate and ends with kush and a ciggerate. is this gonna effect me getting cut ? im talking realistically like does it cancell my workout or something cause nikkas act like i might as well not workout if you smoke. i know it effects it but prolly like 2% effect. right? coli scientiest?

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
It depends. If you smoke multiple times a day everyday it will effect your workouts. If you keep it solely to after a workout I doubt you'd really notice a difference.Who's to say though, everybodys body reacts different

I wouldnt be smoking before though

rogue_riezo

Les Enfants Terribles
Daps
I smoke after gym on the way to work. Not because it gives me anything, it's because it's routine for me.

Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
I still smoke cigs, it's hard to quit in the Army :sadbron:

Going to try to quit in a couple of months though. I'm sure once I read a good article on how it effects muscle growth it will push me to quit sooner.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
The main thing smoking is going to affect is VO2 max. VO2 max is a measure of the maximum volume of oxygen that an athlete can use. It is measured in millilitres per kilogramme of body weight per minute (ml/kg/min).
If your VO2 max is higher, then you can exercise with more intensity over the same period of time, or with the same intensity for a longer period of time, than if your VO2 max was lower. More exercise is more calories burned. More calories burned is more cut. You can still get cut but you are going to have to cut more calories if you can't start a smoking cessation program.

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
The main thing smoking is going to affect is VO2 max. VO2 max is a measure of the maximum volume of oxygen that an athlete can use. It is measured in millilitres per kilogramme of body weight per minute (ml/kg/min).
If your VO2 max is higher, then you can exercise with more intensity over the same period of time, or with the same intensity for a longer period of time, than if your VO2 max was lower. More exercise is more calories burned. More calories burned is more cut. You can still get cut but you are going to have to cut more calories if you can't start a smoking cessation program.

so basically it just effects stamina? and prolly very little to

:win:

rogue_riezo

Les Enfants Terribles
Daps
Smoking Makes Your Heat Beat Faster
A smoker’s heart beats an average of 30 percent faster than that of a nonsmoker, which affects the outcome of your exercise in significant ways. Because your heart is working harder to achieve adequate circulation, you use more energy during your workouts. This increase in heart rate, and the resultant increase in blood pressure, diminishes blood flow and reduces your overall performance when performing the same exercise routine as a nonsmoker. When your exercise routine is designed to encourage muscle building, your diminished performance will yield less muscle than that of a healthy nonsmoker.

Lower Levels of Oxygen Hinder Muscle Growth
Your muscle growth is directly diminished when your muscles are deprived of oxygen. Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen available to your muscles in two distinct ways. First, in reducing the rate of blood flow to the muscles, you limit their exposure to oxygen in the blood. Second, because smokers produce more phlegm than nonsmokers, respiration is hindered. This reduction in respiratory activity limits the amount of oxygen entering your bloodstream, so when your already-diminished blood flow reaches your muscles, it is carrying less oxygen to them.

How Your Breathing Affects Muscle Gain
Carbon monoxide from cigarette smoke also bonds with the hemoglobin molecules in your blood, to the exclusion of oxygen. Tar from cigarettes also accumulates in your airways and limits the amount of air you take in. The presence of tar also hinders your lungs’ natural cleansing mechanism, allowing other pollutants to collect and diminish airflow. As your lung capacity and oxygen supply decrease, your muscles starve for the oxygen they need to grow and develop.

How Smoking Affects Your Testosterone Levels
Having normal or high testosterone levels is also of great benefit to you when trying to build muscle. Smoking may damage the cells that produce testosterone within your body. This interferes with your testosterone production and leaves you with lower than average testosterone levels. Because testosterone governs muscle growth from exercise and directed muscle training, a lack of it in your body will significantly hamper your results.

The Effect Smoking Has on Your Endurance
Several properties of cigarette smoke can diminish your overall energy levels. The strain on your heart and lungs, as well as the high you get from smoking, all leave you feeling generally less energetic than a nonsmoker. Your ability to endure longer workouts, or to increase the intensity of your existing exercise routine, will suffer as you use cigarettes. This loss of endurance may force you to cut your exercise short, limiting the number of repetitions you can perform and shortening the time you spend developing muscle.

A quick Google and I found this terribly written article. The points he author makes, make sense though :francis:.