Sisters purchase site of largest U.S. uprising of enslaved people

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I know their ancestors are proud. I hope they sue the hell out those companies polluting.

I hate to say this, but you can definitely make a buck off that. Historic site. Museum. Field trips.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Thanks for posting this.

German Coast Rebellion took plenty of devils to hell, and struck fear in the hearts of the other devils for generations to come.

Glad that these AA ladies own property connected to that story.

As far as the forces they're challenging today, unscrupulous businessmen will always exploit poor communities. I hope they are able to get enough people in that region to block more polluters from coming in and bring different forms of economic development. As alternate employers.

Also hope that this story prompts more Black Louisianans to register and vote. To block and reverse the zoning laws that the story mentioned.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

In Louisiana’s Cancer Alley, company cancels plans for grain export facility in historic Black town​

Aug 7, 2024
JoyBannerHugging.jpg
Joy Banner, co-founder of The Descendants Project and a leader in the fight against Greenfield, hugs a supporter moments after hearing that the company would cease plans for a grain elevator facility in the middle of her hometown of Wallace, which is in Louisiana's heavily industrialized "Cancer Alley."

WALLACE, La. (AP) — Residents of a historic Black community in Louisiana who’ve spent years fighting against a massive grain export facility set to be built on the grounds where their enslaved ancestors once lived appear to have finally halted the project.

A representative from the company, Greenfield Louisiana LLC, announced during a public hearing on Tuesday evening that the company is “ceasing all plans” to construct a grain export facility in the middle of the town of Wallace in St. John the Baptist Parish.

After a moment, opponents of the project broke out in cheers and began clapping and hugging each other.

“I’m still obviously in disbelief — I can’t believe this is happening, but I’m ecstatic and all praise to the ancestors,” said Joy Banner, a Wallace resident and one of the most vocal opponents of the project. She and her sister, Jo, founded The Descendants Project to preserve the community’s heritage.

The company’s announcement signaled a rare win for a community in a heavily industrialized stretch of the Mississippi River known as “Cancer Alley” for its high levels of pollution. Wallace is about 50 miles (80 kilometers) west of New Orleans.

“I think all of the fighting – it is coming from the love and the passion for our communities we have here along the river, and to show the world we can and you should fight,” Banner said. “We are recognizing that we do have power – that power comes from the love we have for our community.”

Earlier this year, the Banner sisters’ nonprofit purchased a plantation which had been the site of one of the largest slave rebellions in American History, the 1811 German Coast Uprising. They plan to transform it into an educational space

Last edited: