Silent Hill 2 wins Best Horror Game of all time at IGN

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Never played it but people seem obsessive about it, do you agree?

Halloween has officially arrived and we are here to help celebrate by presenting you with the winners of our best horror video game face-off. Not only do you now have an idea of what terrifying games you need to play for the first time or hundredth during this spooky season, but we also now know which horror game IGN's audience believes is the best of the best.

So, after 1.2 million battles with matchups like Resident Evil 4 vs. Dead Space and Silent Hill vs. P.T., which game earned the right to be called the greatest horror game of all time? Bloody drumroll please...

winner-1667230532422.PNG

horror-top-10-1667230532422.png

Rounding out the top 10 were Silent Hill, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 3, and Resident Evil Remake. P.T. placed eleventh, meaning 10 of the top 11 games were from either the Silent Hill or Resident Evil franchise. Resident Evil accounted for six spots and Silent Hill took four.

On the other end of the spooky spectrum stands Cooking Companions, the game with the least amount of wins at 20%. It was joined by games like The Coma: Cutting Class, Bigfoot, Scarlet Hollow, and Enemy Zero.

Slay the Princess, Nightmare Creatures 2, Uncanny Valley, Sweet Home, and Atama rounded out the bottom 10. It should be noted that many of these are well-regarded games that are indie titles without the AAA budgets found in the games from the top 10. There is still plenty to like and be horrified within these games, but they don't have the popularity of some of the bigger titles.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
They clearly aren't rating based on the replay-ability of the game so I'm gonna ask why they didn't include Clock Tower (the original hide and seek game).
To put Silent Hill that high leads me to believe they're going by level of "fear", in which case, I would take Resident Evil 4 and possibly Resident Evil 8 completely off the list. Condemned Criminal Origins could easily knock a few of those games off the list. Alan Wake is an easy contender. I could make a case that Halo Infinite belongs on there as well because that end product has been horrifying.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
On pure scary atmosphere, the first three SH games can't be beat. Those games creeped me the fukk out when I was a teen. Gameplay wise RE series is probably better tho.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They clearly aren't rating based on the replay-ability of the game so I'm gonna ask why they didn't include Clock Tower (the original hide and seek game).
To put Silent Hill that high leads me to believe they're going by level of "fear", in which case, I would take Resident Evil 4 and possibly Resident Evil 8 completely off the list. Condemned Criminal Origins could easily knock a few of those games off the list. Alan Wake is an easy contender. I could make a case that Halo Infinite belongs on there as well because that end product has been horrifying.
RE 4 which is a personal classic of mine, is still a clear deviation from the original formula. That's not bad but 4 is an adrenaline fueled action nightmare. If we're talking about a pure sense of dread instilled in an anxiety riddled environment that is pure nightmare fuel, Silent Hill 2 is probably the scariest horror game I've ever played. Its been decades since I've played it though

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
There's way better horror games , they just aint as popular as SH and RE.
plus they mostly on PC.