Set photos from Bruce Lee biopic ‘Birth of the Dragon’

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Birth-214x300.jpg

A new Hollywood film about Bruce Lee titled Birth of the Dragon is currently in production. The movie will take a look at the life of legendary martial artist and movie star Bruce Lee, using Lee’s disputed bout with Master Wong Jack-Man as the centerpiece of the story.

Rising Hong Kong star, Philip Ng (Wild City, Sifu vs Vampire, Zombie Fight Club), will portray Bruce Lee. Additional casting includes Yu Xia (Dragon Squad) as Wong Jack-Man, Billy Magnussen as Steve McKee, and Jinging Qu (Journey Through China), who’ll be playing Steve’s love interest. Ron Yuan (Blood and Bone) and King Lau (Kick Ass 2) are also attached. The legendary Corey Yuen (Kiss of the Dragon, No Retreat, No Surrender II) will be handling the fight choreography.

At the helm of the project is George Nolfi (The Adjustment Bureau) with a screenplay by Christopher Wilkinson (Ali) and Stephen J. Rivele (Nixon).

There’s some speculation that this could lead to a Rashomon-like structure to Birth of the Dragon since there are so many varying accounts of how the fight between Bruce Lee and Master Wong went down.

This isn’t the first time Hollywood has explored the legend of Bruce Lee. Perhaps the most well known example is 1993′s Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, a heavily dramatized biopic from The Fast and the Furious director Rob Cohen that featured Jason Scott Lee (Time Cop 2) in the lead role.

Birth of the Dragon will be released late 2016/early 2017.

Updates: Here’s a series of set photos (including one with director George Noli and Philip Ng, who plays Bruce Lee), which recreate 1960s San Francisco with stunning detail (using Vancouver’s Chinatown district).

Untitled-1.jpg

- See more at: http://cityonfire.com/is-hollywood-...gon-the-bruce-lee-story/#sthash.H3X2KqDX.dpuf

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
Just recently got around to seeing this.

Firstly...it's not a biopic.

And it wasn't bad..far better than I had expected in fact. I'm aware that this is "inspired" by true events and isn't meant to be taken as a literal history but does anyone have any factual info about the Wong Jack-Man fight?

As far as I know the story was that Bruce beat him 3 minutes but was upset at himself for not finishing quicker (Bruce's Wife claims she was there and said that's what happened also) but obviously this film paints a different picture. Any actual information on the fight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Just recently got around to seeing this.

Firstly...it's not a biopic.

And it wasn't bad..far better than I had expected in fact. I'm aware that this is "inspired" by true events and isn't meant to be taken as a literal history but does anyone have any factual info about the Wong Jack-Man fight?

As far as I know the story was that Bruce beat him 3 minutes but was upset at himself for not finishing quicker (Bruce's Wife claims she was there and said that's what happened also) but obviously this film paints a different picture. Any actual information on the fight would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I didnt know all that..... I just watched this last night

I kinda went into this blind only just seeing the trailers. So a lot of what happened caught me off guard and I guess I was disappointed based of the expectations I set.

I do agree the fights were pretty cool, but didnt like how Bruce Lee seemed like a secondary character in a story that I thought was about him. I didnt like the white guy and hated how they made Lee an a$$hole. But I guess I get it in the grand scheme of things

Martha