Senator tells Native American candidate to go back to where she came from, storms out of public event

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Senator tells Native American candidate to go back to where she came from, storms out of public event​

Boise State Public Radio News | By Julie Luchetta

Published October 3, 2024 at 12:26 PM MDT

Idaho Senator Dan Foreman sits in a suit on the senate floor

AP

A bipartisan forum in a small Latah County community took a turn when Republican Senate incumbent Dan Foreman stormed out of the event, following a racist outburst directed at a Native American candidate.

On Tuesday, local Democrat and Republican representatives organized a “Meet your candidates” forum in the northern Idaho town of Kendrick. Three contenders from each party vying for District 6 legislative seats - one senate and two house representatives positions - answered questions submitted by audience members.

When asked if discrimination existed in Idaho, conservative Sen. Dan Foreman said no.

In a statement released Wednesday, Democratic candidate for House Seat A and member of the Nez Perce tribe Trish Carter-Goodheart said she pushed back on that idea when it was her turn to speak, pointing to her own experience and the history of white supremacy groups in Northern Idaho.

“[J]ust because someone hasn’t personally experienced discrimination, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Racism and discrimination are real issues here in Idaho, as anyone familiar with our state’s history knows,” the statement read. “I highlighted our weak hate crime laws and mentioned the presence of the Aryan Nations in northern Idaho as undeniable evidence of this reality.”

White text on black background, with Carter-Goodheart's campaign logo header. The full statement reads:Last evening, I participated in what should have been a respectful and constructive public candidate forum. Instead, I was met with hateful, racist remarks from State Senator Dan Foreman, who screamed at me to go back where you came from.The question on the floor was about a state bill addressing discrimination. One of the candidates responded, claiming that “discrimination doesn’t exist in Idaho.” When it was my turn to speak, I calmly pointed out that just because someone hasn’t personally experienced discrimination, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Racism and discrimination are real issues here in Idaho, as anyone familiar with our state’s history knows. I highlighted our weak hate crime laws and mentioned the presence of the Aryan Nations in northern Idaho as undeniable evidence of this reality.That’s when Sen. Foreman lost all control. His words to me: “I’m so sick and tired of this liberal b*llsh*t! Why don’t you go back to where you came from!?”I stayed. I stayed because I wanted to show our community that I can, and will, handle difficult, unpleasant situations. After the forum, several members of the crowd came up to me and offered their support, apologizing for Sen. Foreman’s behavior. But it’s not the people in the crowd who need to apologize.I need to thank the women who stood with me against this hate: Moscow City Councilwoman Julia Parker, Kathy Dawes, and Representative Lori McCann. They had my back when it mattered, and I appreciate their strength and solidarity. What happened tonight was a reminder of why this election matters. I am a proud member of the Nez Perce tribe, fighting to represent the land my family has lived on for generations. People like Dan Foreman do not represent our diverse community, and I will continue to stand against the hatred and racism they spread. Our state deserves better. Our community deserves better. We deserve better.

Statement released by candidate Trish Carter-Goodheart following a contentious forum in Kendrick, Idaho.

Foreman stood up and angrily interjected, using an expletive to criticize what he cast as the liberal bent of the response, according to the release and people present at the forum.

Carter-Goodheart said he then told her she should go back to where she came from, and heatedly stormed off. One event organizer and two other panelists confirmed Carter-Goodheart’s account, adding Foreman appeared very agitated.

Carter-Goodheart is campaigning to be a house representative and is not running against the senator. Her opponent, Republican Rep. Lori McCann was also present at the forum. In an email, she said she read Carter-Goodheart's statement "and found it to be an accurate account of what transpired in Kendrick."

Foreman has a history of angrily confronting people in public, and shouting profanities.

He did not respond to requests for comment by the time of publication.

Indigenous people, including the Nez Perce tribe, have lived in the Columbia River Basin for thousands of years. Foreman was born in Lake Forest, Illinois.

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
Breh they don't care, nor can they help it...They're doing the same shyt all over the world...

And that other Boer clip where he says they're the original Africans.

That bytch said do you know the word indigenous......... to someone that appears to be of aboriginal descent........ this shyt wouldn't be believed in movies but this the reality we live in

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
technically this is the Native American home country

that racist cac needs to have a seat
Seen cacs say this to Native so many times, it just shows you that immigration status has nothing to do with anything.
Its about being white.
If Norwegians were crossing our borders instead of Mexicans they wouldn't be trying to build any walls.
Black immigrants come here legally and they still trying to deport them.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Cac-"Go back to your country"

Natives-
james-franco-wait-what.gif

This is like a new poster going into a black theme forum talking about white demographics and or babble, the black posters enlighten them that "we don't do that there" and the new poster goes "yall need to go back to yall own forum"

MOTHERfukkER THIS IS OUR FORUM :why: