Seems like we're getting closer to the limited release physical deluxe edition only phase of gaming

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Last year 2 different GOTY games launched without a physical edition. They both later got (or are getting) physical editions but only as what amounts to a limited time order. If a video game publisher does something and gets away with it or finds success it's only a matter of time before the next publisher tries it. We're likely getting close to the day games either launch as digital only and introduce a limited physical edition later or you have to pre-order the physical edition at launch or you'll be SOL on getting it.

Obviously the publishers want you purchasing digital because it's less overhead for them but this will be problematic because as you can see with Baldur's Gate III these games could probably rarely go on sale as much have less discounts and have far less options for consumer purchase. It's a way to force the purchase of a deluxe edition even if you just want the standard as they don't have to offer that in physical at all. That would mean if you want the physical edition of the game you're either paying full price or more. That could invite scalpers.

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
shyt is nefarious and diabolical because the first lie they told when they first started talking about digital was that the price was gonna go down....... they don't even drop the price on fukking controllers........

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
shyt is nefarious and diabolical because the first lie they told when they first started talking about digital was that the price was gonna go down....... they don't even drop the price on fukking controllers........
Yup, digital prices are typically way higher and for much longer on top of not being able to sell or trade it.

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
I'm not in denial it's coming sadly. The only thing we can do is support physical but I suspect next Gen is going to move to physical key releases to get the last hold outs :francis:

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
:coffee:
If they don't give me a chance to attain a physical copy, then I'll accept a pirated digital one, no problem. They take away my options, and drive me toward a definitive solution.