School me on Beans

Melt_Man

The Power to MELT!
Daps
Last couple months I've really switched up my lifestyle as far as diet and exercise is concerned. I've gone from a diet of mostly processed foods to practically no processed foods.

Try to eat as much fruit and veggies as possible but beans have never been part of my diet and I know they are cheap as hell and some of the healthiest food out there.

Any of y'all got some good (easier the better) recipes for beans? Any prepackaged stuff out there that I can just throw in a pot with some water that isn't loaded with sodium and a bunch of other nonsense?

Help me out, I need to be farting like :ooh:

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ive Hated Beans All My Life Bu I Ate Chipotle One Day And Said fukk It Throw Some Pinto Beans On There And I Liked Em, From There I Started Liking Black Beans Also

Beans Are Great To Mask The Bland Taste Of Brown Rice

Just Gimmie A Bowl Of Brown Rice And I Cant fukks With It

Put Beans In That shyt And I'll Kill The Bowl

Daps
Alright

It really doesn't matter if you get goya / iberia / store bought beans. If you're buying a bunch go store bought, I buy goya b/c it's pop top cans.

here's part of my lineup:

http://i.imgur.com/6UhYE.jpg

I buy black, small red, pinto, pink, (canned) and lentils (dry in a bag).

get a small kitchen pot, spoon half the can in there (shake can before you open, keep 1/2 the liquid for the 2nd serving later), put it on about 1/2 heat (I do 6/10 on my coil stove top). Piece of saran wrap, put that on the can that has the other 1/2 left & keep in fridge for the next day.

Stir occasionally. Then, when it's ready (after a few minutes, just before the beans are starting to stick to the bottom & there's noticeable liquid loss), take your pot & add some sink water to it. then use a strainer & get the liquid out. This is what I use:

http://i.imgur.com/rrvQu.jpg

I do this twice, so the beans are still warm & there's none of the liquid that comes in the can. That stuff isn't horrible for you, just flavored sauce that has sodium in it, if I was making a black bean dip & going for taste I'd keep it in there, but that's not what this is about.

In the first picture, there is my g.o.a.t. salsa on the left, & some hot sauce I got from aruba. experiment with salsas, bean/salsas (I take 1-2 spoonfuls of this pinto / red pepper salsa when I cook non-pinto beans, it's awesome), cut up some onions / red/yellow/green peppers, tomatoes, there are TONS of recipes & mixtures you can do with beans.

also with dry lentils, they taste more like nuts than beans. take like 2-3 cups of water, put that in a pan & set the stove to boil. once the water is boiling, dump a cup of dry lentils in there for 1:30-2 minutes, might need to stir once or twice, depends. then you're done, that's it. can reheat if you've made too big a batch for the next few days, & the protein is fantastic

Daps
I eat 1/2 a can of beans a day. those cans are 3.5 servings, but I usually eat 2 servings per can. but that comes out to ~ 60 cents for a bowl of beans, so cheap & they last forever. Just checked the bottom of the cans in the pic, they expire in 2017 & the only ingredients are beans, water, & salt.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
ive always felt black beans are best protein wise and are pretty good with fiber too

colicolicoli

Droid Gang
Daps
Reppin
LBC
ive always felt black beans are best protein wise and are pretty good with fiber too
I NEVER liked beans until I had a Cuban sandwich w/ black beans. Every since then I've been working them into my diet at least once a week. They are by far the best tasting beans.
I've put them in chili, salsa, and just ate plain as a side dish.

sknk80

Rookie
Daps
i'd cook the beans on your own instead of fukking with canned, way less sodium and a bit cheaper too.

beans mashed up with salsa = :ooh::ooh: