RUSSIA/РОССИЯ THREAD—ASSANGE CHRGD W/ SPYING—DJT IMPEACHED TWICE-US TREASURY SANCTS KILIMNIK AS RUSSIAN AGNT

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
PART 2:

1851.jpg

Salisbury attack suspects Ruslan Boshirov and Alexander Petrov. Photograph: Tass/Getty
I first met Suvorov in 2015. At the time, a public inquiry was under way into Litvinenko’s murder. It concluded that Putin “probably” approved the operation, together with the head of the FSB, the agency that succeeded the KGB. The men identified by the inquiry as the killers, Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun, were lousy assassins: they left a ghostly trail of polonium across London, and tipped the murder weapon down the bathroom sink.

In 2016, a decade after the Litvinenko murder, a team of GRU officers hacked into the servers of the US Democratic party, according to Robert Mueller, the special prosecutor investigating collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. The release of these stolen emails by WikiLeaks hurt Hillary Clinton and helped her opponent, who is now in the White House. The operation might be marked down as a great Kremlin victory, but it was hardly clandestine. In July, Mueller laid bare the GRU plot in a forensic indictment, embarrassing both Putin and Trump.

Are Moscow’s spy agencies losing their touch? Suvorov says there has been a major falling off since the glory days of the GRU, in the 30s and 40s, when its agents stole US atomic secrets. This decay is part of a general debasement, he thinks, affecting everything in post-communist Russia, from rocket-building to journalism. The country is “slowly crumbing”, he says; those who can are moving abroad.

Viktor Suvorov is a literary pen-name: he was born Vladimir Bogdanovich Rezun in Soviet Ukraine; his father a military officer, his mother a nurse. (His Ukrainian roots are another reason the Kremlin might have it in for him, sources in Moscow tell me.) His father was a confirmed Bolshevik who believed the USSR could flourish were it not for the “bad guys at the top”, and Suvorov grew up a “fanatical communist”. He attended military school, joined the Red Army and took part in the 1968 invasion of Czechoslovakia. An outstanding officer, he trained tactical reconnaissance sergeants and served in the intelligence division of the Volga military district headquarters – an experience Suvorov describes in Aquarium.

In 1970, he was recruited by the GRU. He was now part of an elite organisation that was a bitter rival of the KGB. His disillusionment with the Soviet system began only when he got to Geneva, he says, where he was attached to the UN mission. Suvorov says he was summoned to the airport one day to watch the arrival of an Ilyushin-76 transport plane from Moscow. When its ramp was lowered, gold bars were taken out of the cargo bay – to buy food from America. “We couldn’t feed ourselves,” he says.

Further disillusion came when he and his “wonderful spy wife” Tatiana went on holiday. They took the train from Basel and travelled across West Germany to east Berlin, passing the wall. “It was the same people, same history, same bloody Germans. [But] it’s a Mercedes here and it’s a Trabant there,” he recalls with a laugh. He read George Orwell’s Animal Farm. “At first I thought: ‘These aren’t Russian pigs, they’re pigs from Berkshire.’ Then I realised it was about the people in the Kremlin. They had banned the book inside the Soviet Union because they recognised themselves.”

He read Nineteen Eighty-Four. “Orwell was never a communist, but was close to them. He understood the totalitarian state has to be like that. He never visited the USSR, but he realised everything better than anybody could imagine,” Suvorov says. He says his wife – the daughter of an intelligence officer – agreed to defect with him. They have been married for 47 years. “It’s an achievement,” he says.

5504.jpg

Suvorov’s books have appeared in 27 languages. Photograph: Sebastian Nevols for the Guardian
From his new home in the UK, Suvorov wrote one of the most influential books of the perestroika era, Icebreaker. When it was published in 1988, his argument was heretical: that Stalin had been secretly plotting an offensive against Hitler’s Germany, and would have invaded in September 1941, or at the latest by 1942. Stalin, he wrote, wanted Hitler to destroy democracy in Europe, in the manner of an icebreaker, thereby clearing the way for world communism. The book undermined the idea that the USSR was an innocent party, dragged into the second world war. Russian liberals supported Suvorov’s thesis; it now has broad acceptance among historians.:ohhh:

Altogether, Suvorov’s books have appeared in 27 languages. His first, Liberators, was a vivid personal account of life in the Soviet army, and his primers on Soviet military intelligence have become mainstream texts. In a previous interview, he pointed out that there is a tradition in Russian literature of military officers turning their experiences into books – Tolstoy, Lermontov and Solzhenitsyn. Suvorov doesn’t rank himself with these greats, but notes that war offers rich material. “There is a sense of romance in battle,” he says.

Post-Skripal, he has written a new book about the GRU, currently being translated from Russian into English and scheduled for publication next year. He says his trainers at the GRU academy in Moscow never explicitly mentioned novichok to him; the USSR developed the powerful nerve agent in the 1970s, and it appears to be one of many lethal substances at the GRU’s disposal. But his instructors did make clear that, “from time to time”, the GRU has to eliminate its enemies. He was told: “When you have such an operation, an expert will meet you. He will personally explain how to do it.” The GRU has its own dedicated chemicals directorate, he says.

As well as attempted murder in Salisbury, did the Kremlin interfere in British politics by assisting the Brexit vote? Suvorov admits he has no inside information here but, based on his knowledge of Moscow’s methods, he thinks it was an opportunity: “If there is any kind of internal problem in the camp of your enemy, you try to exploit that.”

Despite our current political turmoil, he remains an admirer of Britain, describing it as a place of great “creative imagination”. And what about its spies? He declines to say much about MI6, the organisation that spirited him away to a new life, other than that it is full of “clever” and “professional” people.

I have met many Russians living in exile. They include KGB defectors wanting assistance with their memoirs, oligarchs who quarrelled with Putin, and political opponents of the regime in Moscow. Some adjust to exile; others don’t. Suvorov is undoubtedly the happiest I have encountered.
He is still lovingly married. His grownup children are clever and successful, he says, and he has two grandchildren.

There is still every possibility the GRU will try to kill him, he says.
This despite the fact that his books have – to some degree – flattered the GRU and served as an advertisement for its subterranean activities. “Will they forgive me? No. It’s not a question of whether they like me or dislike me. It’s an example for everyone else. Yes, you can escape. Yes, they like your books. But they will remember you, always.”

Before we shake hands and go our separate ways, I ask Suvorov one final, delicate question. I don’t want to reveal his home address – I don’t know it – but where should I say that he lives? Suvorov laughs again. “Say England. Or perhaps Wales. Or maybe Great Britain.”

• Commenting on this piece? If you would like your comment to be considered for inclusion on Weekend magazine’s letters page in print, please email weekend@theguardian.com, including your name and address (not for publication).

Last edited:

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Enough is enough. Someone should do a super cut of all his calls into the Majority Report. Completely indistinguishable.

Hey, defend him if you want. I'm not going to pretend to care. All that other "trump" shyt is lowbrow shyt posting. You don't even believe that. This notion that I need to be like you all, or carry your values, is frankly, pathetic. I'm nothing, if not consistent.

You all hate my views on illegal immigration because of its effect on black citizens just like you hate my views on pushing policies that I view as practical and not just pie-in-the-sky inspirational. Details are severely lacking when it comes to tactical politics on this forum. Its all emotion.

You don't like me. Get over it and stop derailing the thread. @Cole Cash turned a decent call into a repetitive bunch of bad calls on a radio show I like. I don't call into the show. How is that even a rational argument against me?

If you have a problem report me. The thread is informational AND commentary otherwise you would be posting in a vacuum and dapping yourself in your head.
Life is logical and emotional. It's a part of being human. Not every logical decision is right if it creates a scenario devoid of empathy. So to pretend you are removed from emotion doesn't make you better. It makes you sociopathic.
And stop trying to present yourself as the logical reasoned person in this thread. I have never read you respond to an argument with sound reasoning or judgement. You mostly just point to other people's tweets or articles. That's not an opinion.
Bottom line, you don't get to insult people in this thread who have shown themselves to have humanity. fukk that. You turned ribbing into something else when you went after peoples' family and their work. Those things are sacroscant. You don't get to do that then yell stop derailing when the heat comes back on you.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
If you have a problem report me. The thread is informational AND commentary otherwise you would be posting in a vacuum and dapping yourself in your head.
Life is logical and emotional. It's a part of being human. Not every logical decision is right if it creates a scenario devoid of empathy. So to pretend you are removed from emotion doesn't make you better. It makes you sociopathic.
And stop trying to present yourself as the logical reasoned person in this thread. I have never read you respond to an argument with sound reasoning or judgement. You mostly just point to other people's tweets or articles. That's not an opinion.
Bottom line, you don't get to insult people in this thread who have shown themselves to have humanity. fukk that. You turned ribbing into something else when you went after peoples' family and their work. Those things are sacroscant. You don't get to do that then yell stop derailing when the heat comes back on you.

We shytting on helping ppl in 2019?

:dwillhuh:
This dude @Cole Cash calls into a progressive online/radio show and repeats the same story. Literally.

At first it was cool. Now it's not.

I'm allowed to be annoyed at that.

Get over it.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:sadsarahsanders:

Yahoo is now part of Oath

:umad:

Stephen Miller steps into spotlight amid chaos in 'zombie' White House press shop
06913a63bc2ef5a2e7ea4efc87f8707c

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders and senior adviser Stephen Miller attend a Cabinet meeting, Aug. 16, 2018. (Photo: Andrew Harnik/AP)

Miller had remained behind the scenes much of the last year, but earlier this month he stepped into the spotlight for a rare pair of television appearances that has left Trump allies with concerns about the state of the White House communications operation. Three of them shared their perspectives with Yahoo News.

Trump’s reliance on Miller comes as the White House press operation has been rocked by reports of impending high-profile departures. These rumors have come as the president’s spokespeople have retreated from view as weeks have gone without on-the-record briefings. Since Dec. 19, Trump’s communications team hasn’t even accomplished its most basic task: distributing guidance detailing the president’s public schedule.

The White House did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Yahoo News about the lack of briefings, guidance and Miller’s growing public profile. Former members of the Trump administration were far more forthcoming, though they requested anonymity in order to frankly detail their concerns.

Several former officials who spoke to Yahoo News said Miller’s reemergence as a public face of the White House was a public relations catastrophe.:mjlol:

“If you’re a comms person, you don’t want to have him out there because every time he goes out, it’s an absolute disaster,” one former West Wing staffer told Yahoo News.:russ:

Another former White House official echoed that sentiment.

“Miller is so awful on TV, it’s counterproductive to put him on,” the ex-official said.:picard:

910e978b4ce110775d3d4bde213679c9

Trump adviser Stephen Miller. (Photo: Leah Millis/Reuters)

A former member of Trump’s transition team told Yahoo News they believed Miller came to the fore because other officials are unenthusiastic about the hard-line immigration policies Miller pushed the president to adopt.

While Trump launched his presidential campaign with blistering attacks on illegal immigration, Miller has been the mastermind who designed policies to target migrants. He was a major force pushing for Trump’s travel ban aimed at Muslim countries and the separation of immigrant children from their parents at the border.

“Nobody wants to defend Stephen’s positions, so they stick his ass out there,” the ex-transition team member said. “Stephen’s in the background telling everyone, ‘Max pressure, max pressure,’ and saying those things are feasible. Everyone who’s actually worked in policy is like, That can’t work, go defend it yourself.”:gucci:

Miller did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Yahoo News about concerns surrounding his public appearances.

Even before Miller took the lead in urging the shutdown over border wall funding, many of the policies most closely associated with him have been lightning rods. The so-called Muslim travel ban and the child separation policy both sparked widespread protests and legal challenges.

The former member of Trump’s transition team said Miller managed to survive in spite of these “strategic mistakes” because his ideas appeal to the president.

“The boss likes him,” the former transition member said of Miller. “He’s certainly not judged on his policy successes; all he has is failures. … He shows deference and he makes these outrageous policy suggestions.”:dwillhuh:

Watching Miller represent the Trump administration during an especially tense stretch this past month left some Trump allies convinced the White House messaging operation has gone haywire. These concerns have been fueled by dramatic staff turnover and continuing rumors of more imminent departures from the White House press office.

7b0f799ab7aed8a13f209d756c65d6ae

Raj Shah outside the West Wing of the White House, Sept. 25, 2018. (Photo: Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP)

Sanders, one of the most visible White House faces, is now conducting briefings about once a month rather than a few times a week as was customary in previous administrations and earlier in Trump’s tenure. Her retreat from the briefing room has coincided with a growing chorus of reports saying she is plotting an exit.:mjgrin:

Yahoo News reached out to Sanders to ask about the criticism of the White House press operation and rumors of her impending exit. She answered with an email saying she’s “traveling” and asked for specific questions and details about this story.
Sanders did not respond after receiving a list of queries.

Shah did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Yahoo News. While Shah has stayed mum about his situation, his title has changed to “communications adviser” from “principal deputy press secretary.”

Both the ex-official and the second former White House staffer said they heard Shah would be off the White House payroll after the year ends.:shakingdamn:

Trump has already had five different communications directors. The former White House staffer also pointed to some lower profile departures and said they had a clear impact. The Trump administration has shed at least four assistant press secretaries, resulting in vacancies and hasty promotions in a position the ex-staffer described as vital for “playing triage.”

“You have a situation where stories that could have been small are now blowing up and just causing huge crises and controversies,” the former staffer said.

The ex-staffer also suggested the White House had devoted insufficient resources to develop a team to publicly advocate for the administration and build relationships with television networks. They attributed some of the reluctance to engage with media to fear that followed a crackdown on leaks that occurred after a spate of negative stories earlier in the Trump administration.

This concern about unauthorized press engagement resulted in a situation where people were only communicating with reporters anonymously — and critically.

“There’s this fear factor with this whole leaking thing,” the ex-staffer said. “Now no one talks to the press except to leak.”:hovlaugh:

The other former official agreed that the White House communications operation was understaffed, and suggested it would have a hard time finding new talent.

“No professional in good standing will even interview for a job.” The former White House official said, adding, “It’s a zombie comms shop. Night of the living dead.”

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Kelly, on His Way Out, Says Administration Long Ago Abandoned Idea of Concrete Wall
Dec. 30, 2018

31dc-kelly1-articleLarge.jpg

“The president still says ‘wall,’” John F. Kelly, the outgoing White House chief of staff, said in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. “But we left a solid concrete wall early on in the administration.”Doug Mills/The New York Times
The concrete border wall that President Trump has repeatedly called for as a signature campaign promise is not actually a wall and has not been since “early on in the administration,” the outgoing White House chief of staff, John F. Kelly, said in an interview published on Sunday.

The comments further muddy the administration’s position as Mr. Trump demands that Democrats provide $5 billion in funding for a wall on the southwestern border with Mexico, an impasse that has led to a partial government shutdown after the president abruptly pulled out of a compromise deal to keep the government funded through February. They were also notable given Mr. Trump’s insistence for most of his term that the border would have a wall, not the “steel slat barrier” he has pivoted toward in the past few weeks.

“To be honest, it’s not a wall,” Mr. Kelly told The Los Angeles Times.

Mr. Kelly, whose last day in his role is Monday, said he had sought advice from Customs and Border Protection officials early in 2017, when he was the homeland security secretary. Mr. Kelly said he was told that “we need a physical barrier in certain places, we need technology across the board, and we need more people.”

He went on: “The president still says ‘wall’ — oftentimes frankly he’ll say ‘barrier’ or ‘fencing,’ now he’s tended toward steel slats. But we left a solid concrete wall early on in the administration, when we asked people what they needed and where they needed it.”

Mr. Kelly has clashed with Mr. Trump over the nature of the wall before. When Mr. Kelly said earlier this year on Fox News that Mr. Trump’s views on a border wall were not “fully informed” and had “evolved,” the president was enraged and berated him.

“The Wall is the Wall, it has never changed or evolved from the first day I conceived of it,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter a short time later.

Mr. Kelly is leaving after a 17-month tenure that he described to the paper as a “bone-crushing hard job.” Mr. Kelly was known to tell aides that he had the “worst job in the world,” and frequently told people that Mr. Trump was not up to role of president, according to two former administration officials.

In the Los Angeles Times interview, Mr. Kelly conceded that Mr. Trump often pressed against the legal boundaries of his role, as the former secretary of state, Rex W. Tillerson, said recently.

The president would ask things like, “‘Why can’t we do it this way?’” Mr. Kelly said.

But Mr. Kelly said the president never ordered him to do anything against the law, and that he would have quit if that had happened.

President Trump viewing border wall prototypes in March.Doug Mills/The New York Times

31dc-kelly2-articleLarge.jpg

President Trump viewing border wall prototypes in March.Doug Mills/The New York Times
Mr. Kelly has been criticized for failing to change the mercurial, Twitter-reliant president into someone more conventional and willing to adhere to norms.

But in his Los Angeles Times interview, Mr. Kelly suggested his tenure should be judged on the actions that Mr. Trump did not engage in, as opposed to the ones he did. Mr. Kelly has been credited by supporters with slowing or stopping the president from a number of his impulses, such as pulling out of NATO.

Mr. Kelly refrained from lobbing shots at other officials on his way out — except for one.

He bluntly faulted Jeff Sessions, the attorney general who was fired, for the “zero tolerance” border policy that led to separations of migrant children from their parents.

“What happened was Jeff Sessions, he was the one that instituted the zero-tolerance process on the border that resulted in both people being detained and the family separation,” Mr. Kelly said. “He surprised us.”:ohhh:

Enforcement of the policy was the responsibility of the Department of Homeland Security, which by then was led by Mr. Kelly’s protégée, Kirstjen Nielsen. Ms. Nielsen became the face of the policy, which prompted outrage from Democrats and many Republicans, and she has been a target of the president’s ire.

Privately, White House officials have long said Mr. Kelly exacerbated Mr. Trump’s disdain for Mr. Sessions — with whom the president was angry for recusing himself from overseeing the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign — because it redirected the president from his frustration with Ms. Nielsen.

Mr. Kelly, who was Mr. Trump’s chief of staff when the House Republicans lost their majority in the midterm elections this year, said he had made clear to the president that the “last thing” he needed was a political aide in that job. Mr. Trump has named Mick Mulvaney, his budget director and a former congressman, as acting chief of staff while he searches for a permanent replacement.

Mr. Kelly’s lack of interest in and knowledge about politics has been cited by senior Republicans as problematic.

He acknowledged being unprepared for Mr. Trump’s order to impose a travel ban on seven predominantly Muslim countries in the first two weeks of the administration, despite saying publicly that he had not been surprised. But he also bluntly sought to dispel the oft-repeated notion that the president had not been given information before making decisions. Mr. Trump gets a variety of information, Mr. Kelly said, but goes with his instincts anyway.

“It’s never been: The president just wants to make a decision based on no knowledge and ignorance,” Mr. Kelly said. “You may not like his decision, but at least he was fully informed on the impact.”

Last edited: