Russell Simmons Claims He’s Living In Bali By Choice: ‘I’m Always In L.A. & New York’

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Russell Simmons, who is currently negotiating a number of sexual assault cases, claims that he has chosen to live in Bali of his own accord, and not because he’s avoiding legal repercussions in the United States.

In an interview with Chuck Creekmur of AllHipHop published on Friday (May 24), the Def Jam Recordings co-founder explained his decision to move overseas in recent years.

“People saying that I somehow can’t come home when I’m there all the time wears on you,” the 66-year-old said. “It wears on me after a while to keep hearing the same narrative, which is false. I’m always in LA, I’m always in New York and Miami. And I’ve never had any reason to feel unsafe in America.”

Simmons filed a declaration on Wednesday (May 22), in which he shared: “I am not physically present in New York and I do not have an intention to live in New York in the future. I own no property in the United States. I have been living in Bali since 2018, which is where I intend to remain.

“For at least nine years before I moved to Bali, I lived in California. As a California resident, I paid California resident taxes in the years immediately prior to moving to Bali. Currently, I pay California non-resident state taxes.”

• Dap
Reactions: Rn.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I read an article on him a few weeks ago that mentioned that he still comes to NY. It’s not a bad idea to dip when shyt might be getting hot for you, but the US could get dude if they wanted. No extradition treaty with Indonesia but countries without official agreements will still cooperate and work with each other on extradition matters

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
He’s right kinda

Last year he was in the US twice and out public events. There was a Smokey Robinson tribute event he attended in Feb and then in October he was at some Spirit gala event celebrating 50 years of hip hop

But also got served a lawsuit while in Bali this years so shyt might be different idk

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
He’s right kinda

Last year he was in the US twice and out public events. There was a Smokey Robinson tribute event he attended in Feb and then in October he was at some Spirit gala event celebrating 50 years of hip hop

But also got served a lawsuit while in Bali this years so shyt might be different idk
Yeah I made a comment when a saw photos of him back stateside

straightcash

All Star
Daps
It's a precautionary measure and was the smart decision to move overseas.

I read an article on him a few weeks ago that mentioned that he still comes to NY. It’s not a bad idea to dip when shyt might be getting hot for you, but the US could get dude if they wanted. No extradition treaty with Indonesia but countries without official agreements will still cooperate and work with each other on extradition matters

He can be sued while being overseas but the penalties will only be in the US and on assets there. He could potentially stay in Indonesia without risk of imprisonment, if that's the direction things were to go.

Since these aren't national security issues, the chances of the US asking Indonesia to extradite him are probably slim.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I feel like him talking tough about it might lead to some blowback.

Like if the wrong cop or sumn gets wind of it and wants to press the issue.