Rockstar hires "real gangsters" for 'Grand Theft Auto V' voices

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/4/4693052/gta-v-features-real-gang-members-as-voice-actors

Rockstar Games' upcoming Grand Theft Auto V is guaranteed to move units, but the developers aren't resting on their laurels in their attempt to build the most comprehensive crime world yet. Take the voice acting — rather than traditional professionals, Rockstar is using "actual, real gang members" where possible.

Contributing writer, talk show host, and in-game DJ "Lazlow" Jones revealed the information on Chicago's WGN radio station, explaining: "We get these guys in to record the gang characters because we don't want a goofy LA actor who went to a fancy school trying to be a hard gang member. There's nothing worse than that, so just go find the real terrifying people and say 'can you come in here please?'"

Rockstar recruited a person to find the criminals, including "El Salvadorian gang dudes with amazing tattoos, one of which literally had gotten out of prison the day before." Jones says this lets the game get closer to reality than otherwise possible, with the actors often given free reign to improvise. "They look at the lines and say, 'I wouldn't say that,' so we say, 'OK, say what you would say.' Authenticity, you know?"

:heh:

Mass

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is jokes. :heh:

Rockstar hires REAL prostitutes to simulate in game sexual encounters. Take for ex: when Franklin picks up a hooker on the street. The team brought in Adina Jewel and filmed her in prime position using a simulated box car, but a real dildo.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
If I'm not mistaken they Rockstar has been using amateur voice talent in the Rockstar Games for a while now. I'm sure they picked out the best ones, plus you gotta save money where you can. Hiring professionals is expensive. In LA Noire, even with primarily Australian actors the voice acting took up about half the budget if I'm not mistaken, I mean granted it was a primarily voice/acting driven game, but still it's a lot of loot.

Young Bishop

Piff Poster
Daps
Reppin
Broward County
This is jokes. :heh:

Rockstar hires REAL prostitutes to simulate in game sexual encounters. Take for ex: when Franklin picks up a hooker on the street. The team brought in Adina Jewel and filmed her in prime position using a simulated box car, but a real dildo.

Lol:shaq:

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
tumblr_mcqqr0qnW21qfc062o1_500.gif

Lazlow :blessed:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This could go both ways.

Voice acting isn't as easy as it seems. Amateurs could end up sounding very.....amateur even if they are authentic gangsters.
Some people, are naturals, friend. Its all about bringing yourself into the moment and expressing yourself as if it were real but meaning it, friend. Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner have no formal acting training. Acting is one of the lowest forms of artistic expression, friend. Its not as hard as it seems. Many of you people lie to people you love every day to their face so people who arent getting paid are good actors..